Building a website

Chaos_Moon

Nov 29, 2010
Washington DC
So I'm trying to make a new website for my recording business. I've tried Wordpress, but I found it a little difficult to get what I want out of it. I'm looking for something easy to work with and maybe run a blog out of in the future.

What are you guys using for your websites? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

i was in your position a few years back and ended up creating my own website using wix.com which provides for a simple framework for building and designing a website.
problem was since i didn't know a thing about web design back than it was ugly as fuck. in hindsight i should have just hired a professional to do it. Dark Prince provides a great and affordable service and i highly recommend working with him.

i was in your position a few years back and ended up creating my own website using wix.com which provides for a simple framework for building and designing a website.
problem was since i didn't know a thing about web design back than it was ugly as fuck. in hindsight i should have just hired a professional to do it. Dark Prince provides a great and affordable service and i highly recommend working with him.

Thanks, I'll check him out!

That's one of my concerns with using something like Wix. Even though I'm kind of looking for something simple, I don't want it to look standard and ugly.

I heard a few of my friends recommend SquareSpace for making a website. I think they offer a free trial and support around the clock.

Wordpress is awesome. Squarspace is okay but I thought it was kind of pricey and lacking in some standard features (maybe things have changed). If you do try squarespace they let you keep extending the trial period so you can basically make your site and then start paying for it when you are ready to publish which was cool.

Wordpress can be server heavy and is easy to be hacked tho, but still very populair.
If you're going that route, make sure you keep it uptodate.

about 20% of all websites are based on Wordpress, and most of them are probably just as secure. Brand websites normally require only very minimal server interaction so i wouldn't worry about that either.
If you don't have the budget to hire a professional go with a wordpress template, it's safe and saves you all of the programming and most of the design process.

Is it the one from your sig ? Just for info, I had a look, and on Safari on MacOs Yosemite, it's super buggy. Like shakky and it doesn't display the website well

I honestly recommend wordpress or joomla for this kind of needs.

You need to dig a bit into joomla, but once you get it, it's actually as simple as setting up your menu, modules and when/where they appear, and writing articles in different categories (for example i use a category for the main website content, a category for "blog" and a category for everything else). I imagine Wordpress is pretty similar.

I love Joomla's backend control and CMS's in general. It's not as secure as I would like though. Specifically the front page for some reason. There's this hacker out there that changes my front page when ever he/she/it/ect feels like it. It's an easy fix but damn it's annoying.

^ While you're there, since my joomla was sleeping there for months, apparently there are bots who registered on my website because it has a thousand unknown members registered. I did not set up any protection like a captcha, hence why. Do you know how to make registering impossible, yet login possible ? Thing is I like loging myself to edit/add content without going to the backend, and I'm planning on registering clients so they can login and download their files on the website itself, with an extension for documents. Where would this be located ? All I want is not allowing anyone to register, and only register people manually in the backend when needed.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'll try to delve into Wordpress a little more and see if I can make it work.

I'll also check out Joomia. I've never heard it before, but it looks pretty good.

Joomla is the biggest CMS since forever. You can do pretty much whatever you want with it. Wordpress is a tiny bit easier because at heart it was designed for blogs, although now you can do almost the same.
These have a learning curve but once you get used to it, it saves time. Say in a couple years you want to add a store on your website, you can do it in a few minutes by downloading the .zip file of the extension, installing it, activating it, placing it on its correct position, and then you just have to learn these new features and the setup is usually done during installation.
I personally used Joomla, and paid for a template which is based on a 3rd party framework which allows a bit more customization and possibilities. I went for www.shape5.com but there are a few competitors.

^ While you're there, since my joomla was sleeping there for months, apparently there are bots who registered on my website because it has a thousand unknown members registered. I did not set up any protection like a captcha, hence why. Do you know how to make registering impossible, yet login possible ? Thing is I like loging myself to edit/add content without going to the backend, and I'm planning on registering clients so they can login and download their files on the website itself, with an extension for documents. Where would this be located ? All I want is not allowing anyone to register, and only register people manually in the backend when needed.

Just google "how to remove registering in joomla" it comes right up, there's a couple ways, as always in joomla. :p

The first technique I found was "remove the text" but I figured it wouldn't block robots from using the feature so I thought you would know of the best way to do it since you seem familiar with joomla !