Building low cost Home Studio in Garage

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
I am building a low budget home studio and thought I would share the process with other forum members who might considering their own studio.

My previous setup consisted of a single car garage which acted as my control room. I used a 100ft 24 Channel Cable Snake to run into a detached 2 car garage with an 8'x17' ish office in the back of it. The office was my "Live Room" for recording Drums, Guitars and Bass.

My Control Room had a 4'x4' vocal booth.

Here is a diagram and photos of the old setup.

Current_Studio_Setup.jpg

Old Control Room

Bled2.jpg

Old Vocal Booth

vocal_booth.jpg

Old Live Room

Studio.jpg

TKOA6.jpg

My old Control room had no accoustical treatment. My vocal booth was simple 1/2" Drywall screwed onto a Phonebooth design of 2x4's insulated with carpet I found behind a carpet warehouse.

My Live room had the same carpet nailed on to the walls to help tame some reflection, but that was the extent of my previous recording environment.

Other than the poor sound treatment, the other thing that really bothered me about the old setup was having the Control Room and the Live Room in two different locations. I was also bothered by the fact that the Control Room had a door that went strait into my house.

Its already unprofessional enough to run a "Home" Studio. And sure there are worse setups being used by others that have gear in their bedrooms and living rooms etc.

But I do want to be taken seriously about my recording.

So at least using the detached garage as one facility would appeal to me and I hope others much better since it physically has no attachment to my home.

So the only thing left in the term "home" studio is that it is physically located on my property. I am right off a main road so its not like I am deep in a residential neighborhood.

So now it will have its own driveway, entrance etc.

Here is a diagram of my new studio concept:

Studio_Plan.jpg

I will be a little more cramped in the control room, but I figured it is better to have more open space in the Live Room. So the Live Room will be constructed to record the Drums, Guitars, Bass and will most likely include a larger Vocal booth.

I lucked out when determining my materials.

I wanted to keep the entire cost under $2000.00

I got to the amount of insulation I would need and found that it was going to be expensive.

So I searched on Craigslist and hit the jackpot.

I found a guy selling 25 bundles of new Thermafiber Sound Attenuation Blankets, which essentially is 4" thick 2'x4' panels of Mineral Wool/Rockwool. Each bundle had 6 panels. The guys wanted $500 for all 25. I offered him $300. He offered back $375. I took them all for $375. When I picked them up with 2 trucks and 2 trailers, there were actually 33 bundles.

Im guessing in the end I got about $3000 worth of Sound Proofing Insulation for $375.

Heres a pic of the stack of insulation next to the garage.

Thermafiberwall.jpg

It will have to sit until I begin contruction on the Live Room but it was to good a deal to pass up.

So the first place I started on new contruction was the New Control Room.

I had to tear down all the carpet I nailed on the walls and tear out the carpet squares that were on the original cement floor.

That was pretty easy.

I decided that I would love to have hardwood floors, but they were too expensive for my budget.

Carpet wasnt too desirable.

So I searched for cheap laminated floors, pergo, or whatever was an option.

The best deal I found was Maple Tundra at Ikea for $1.29 per square foot.

I picked up 12 packages to cover both the Control Room and Live Room Floors. I also bought plastic sheeting to cover the concrete and Niva Foam leveler/lining that goes on top of the plastic sheeting and completed with the flooring.

The live room will have wood sheeting on the floor and will only need the Niva Foam before laying the Maple Floor.

The total cost at Ikea for all of my Maple flooring was $490. That included the $10 installation kit you need to hammer and shim properly, 2 rolls of Niva Foam, one roll of plastic sheeting, and 12 packages of Maple Flooring.

Here are photos of the floor being layed:

Baseboards removed, plastic sheeting down with Niva Foam on top.

FoamSheets.jpg

My Father carrying in Packs of Maple Tundra Flooring.

MapleFloor1.jpg

My older Brother starting to lay down the first few pieces and hammer them together.

MapleFloor2.jpg

All Done with baseboards back and some trim molding!

MapleFloor4.jpg

MapleFloor5.jpg

And now a comparison of before and after with most of the console in the room.

Before:

Console.jpg

After:

ControlRoom1.jpg

ControlRoom2.jpg

I have alot of cables to hook up still but so far I am happy with the results.

To finish off the room I will be using some of the 2x4 Mineral Wool to make Bass Traps. Might also make a few purchases from Auralex. I will make sure this Control Room has proper accoustical treatment this time!

I will begin contruction of the Live room next week.

So far it took about 4 or 5 hours to lay the floor in the control room.

Total cost at this point:

$375 Insulation
$490 Flooring
$10 Trim Moulding
$3 Caulking
$139 New 10" Hitachi Compound Miter Saw (Used for moulding and will use for framing)

$1017.00

Next on my list is 2x4's.

Time to start Framing!

To Be Continued.....

This looks awesome! :D
Nice "amprack"! ;)
Now il ask a totaly unrelated question, do you have any recorded clips of that Ampeg VL-1002? And do you have any perticular settings that you like?
I own one, but i live in a small apartment so i cant crank the volumes enough to hear how it actually sounds. :(

The Control Room is 7.5'x17.5' except for where the closet comes out about 3 feet. So thats about 131 Square feet in the Control Room. Minus the closet space its more like 122 SF.

The Live Room will be about 12'x11' (132 Square Feet) plus a 4'x7' Vocal Booth area. The ceilings are about 8' 3" Tall.

Thats about as big as I can go in the live room because of the Garage door area which I am leaving functional. But at least it will be wider and feel more open compared to the previous room I recorded in.

Sadly I plan to have this for the next 2 or 3 years.

Then I will probably tear the Live room down and salvage what I can to rebuild in another permanent studio.

True it's not ideal. The walls are 2 feet narrower than I had before but with no couch behind me I will actually have more space for my listening position.

I wish I could have gone long ways and put my console where the couch is but its too big and I would never have access to the back of it to change any cable connections if needed.

But at least this time I will have some sound treatment in the room where as before I had none.

I am just trying to make the most out of what I have.

I will move in 2 or 3 years and a whole new studio will be built properly.

two words: baby steps

you're making the right move. i have one room as a studio in a music rehearsal building so this is my first step. im gonna mimic what you are doing kind of i just gotta find the space to build something. space living in nyc is hard to find lol. very hard.

but regardless, you're idea inspired me to think of something so for that i thank you and good luck.

ps - why dont you know donw thew live room walls and expand it to where the couch area is and you will have more space to monitor and you can put the couches against the walls facing your desk.

two words: baby steps

you're making the right move. i have one room as a studio in a music rehearsal building so this is my first step. im gonna mimic what you are doing kind of i just gotta find the space to build something. space living in nyc is hard to find lol. very hard.

but regardless, you're idea inspired me to think of something so for that i thank you and good luck.

ps - why dont you know donw thew live room walls and expand it to where the couch area is and you will have more space to monitor and you can put the couches against the walls facing your desk.

I was originally going to have the Live Room go all the way to the wall like you said, but then I would have to make another door from the Live Room to the rest of the garage which will be the lounge area. I dont want to have to open the garage door for people to go in there either.

I was fine with that idea originally but then I thought I wouldnt want people going through the Live Room just to get to the Lounge area.

You always have those young guys that dont think very well and will open and shut the door while you are tracking or bump into mic stands while moving between rooms.

So I opted to just keep the walkway open on the side.

And the more doors, the more chance of sound leakage.

But I havent started framing yet so the Live Room is still up in the air.

I will weigh all the options once I buy some lumber and get my true dimensions squared away.

Another idea I had was to have the Live Room extend all the way back. Then the sink would be in the Live Room and the Window too.

The Window seemed like it would be a problem with sound transfering through it, but it might still be a good idea. It would definately give me more room and I could always make some 2x4 Bass Trap Shutters to open and close over the Window.

That would look like this:

BiggerLiveRoom.jpg

I liked this Idea the most but I just worried about the window.

I guess I could use the existing walls where the sink is since it just has a bathroom on the other side and a closet near by. I am not too worried about the existing side wall other than the Window.

But I think I can take care of the window and just Might go with that.

Also, what does everyone think as far as having a vocal booth?

I see alot of people recording in the middle of a larger room.

But I thought it helped to alot of air and room sound out of the vocals when I had my cheapo homemade booth before.

I was planning to do the 4'x7' Vocal booth with some Auralex Foam and a couple traps.

Opinions?

Started Framing last night. I have the first wall to the live room with the Entry Door almost Framed up. I have never framed anything before. Luckily the net has some helpful basics.

Here are some graphics I used to give me the general idea of a wall construction.

Wall_Anatomy.gif

Wall_Framing_Door.gif

Wall_Framing_Window.gif

I bought a Prehung Exterior Door. Cost $105 at Home Depot. Nice thing about the prehung is you just frame around it and then nail the door casing into the frame.

And the exterior door has a solid core with steel and weather stripping which is more desirable for reducing sound transmission.

The Door Framing is more time consuming so hopefully the rest should go faster.

I should have some more pics of the garage and framing process up tonight.

i just don't get how you can stand such a small control room... so many acoustic issues in a space like that as well.

here's my idea based on your diagrams... designed to maximize mixing, client comfort, and overall acoustics.

JMidea_Studio_Setup2.jpg

you'd LOVE the space behind desk, and it's best for NFM's to be a few feet off the wall anyway.... you'd also want bass traps in those corners, as well as some other absorption, diffusion, and bass traps strategically around the rest of the room... and perhaps an acoustic cloud just over the mix position. the angled wall will both open up your drum tracking space and reduce standing waves in each room. By moving the lounge area to the other building clients who were not recording or sitting in on the mix could relax away from the music. Vocals would be done in the live room... just get some gobos and space them to get the sound you want. Singers hate little booths like the one you have now anyway... they sound bad and are sweat-boxes. This plan would = extra construction time + cost, but worth it in the end. You'd get better results, happier clients, and a longer useful life out of the space before getting fed up and throwing good money after bad. and i'd sink a good amount of money/effort into the construction of the wall separating the live and control rooms, as well as the isolation between the two. Float one of the floors... pretty easily with auralex U-boats or similar, and hang the walls in another with Resilient Channel.

i just don't get how you can stand such a small control room... so many acoustic issues in a space like that as well.

here's my idea based on your diagrams... designed to maximize mixing, client comfort, and overall acoustics.

JMidea_Studio_Setup2.jpg

you'd LOVE the space behind desk, and it's best for NFM's to be a few feet off the wall anyway.... you'd also want bass traps in those corners, as well as some other absorption, diffusion, and bass traps strategically around the rest of the room... and perhaps an acoustic cloud just over the mix position. the angled wall will both open up your drum tracking space and reduce standing waves in each room. By moving the lounge area to the other building clients who were not recording or sitting in on the mix could relax away from the music. Vocals would be done in the live room... just get some gobos and space them to get the sound you want. Singers hate little booths like the one you have now anyway... they sound bad and are sweat-boxes. This plan would = extra construction time + cost, but worth it in the end. You'd get better results, happier clients, and a longer useful life out of the space before getting fed up and throwing good money after bad. and i'd sink a good amount of money/effort into the construction of the wall separating the live and control rooms, as well as the isolation between the two. Float one of the floors... pretty easily with auralex U-boats or similar, and hang the walls in another with Resilient Channel.

+1

...and reduce standing waves in each room.

'cept that.

angled walls do minimize the risk of flutter-echoes and create a more diffuse soundfield though.
roommodes are not taken care of that way, it's just gonna be harder to predict (calculate) them.
but I'd go with James proposal as well, I think it's as bad as it can get to mix with a rear wall that close.
here's how my mixroom looks (kinda): angled ceiling, floating floor, monitors 1.80m from front wall, 2m from side waals, basstraps in front corners, paneltraps on front wall, absorption (8cm) on front wall behind speakers.
symmetrical setup (L/R) my position about 4.5 m from rear wall and 2.5m from side walls.
absorption left and right to mix-position.
diffusors (polies) will be installed on the rear wall (should be)
try not to deaden too much, you just wanna have the frequencies balanced and a RT60 about .4-0.5s.
don't mix in a too small room since standing waves (and they're always there) are more likely to be higher in the audible range the smaller the room is.
walls made of sheetrock work like a panelabsorber (basstrap).
anyway, like in James' plan: the key is symmetry and distance to the walls.

yes, Lasse.. i was just keeping it light on tech-jargon. i did stress bass traps, absorption, and diffusion. it's hard to put up too much bass trapping...so knock yourself out on that.... don't get too heavy handed on the mid-hi absorption though, the goal is not an anechoic chamber.