Building My Box

I'm almost at that point where I can start bringing my equipment in.
Right now I got a couple of things (aka - opportunities for the "glass is half full" crowd) that are really pissin' me off, though:

• Hanging of the "Sound Cloud" (which really isn't so bad - I just need some assistance - and I HATE asking for any help)
  • Reducing the noise coming in through the window

Here's the story on the window dealio:
I started off with a window a/c unit because it is what we have laying around for hurricane's and power outages, etc.
So we (my Wife and I) figured "why spend any more money than we have to?"
But once things started taking shape, I noticed I could hear the crickets outside (we have a small "Bayou" right behind our house) as if the window was wide open. That ain't gonna cut it, right?
So then I thought I would try the Sharp portable A/C that claims to be whisper quite. It was actually very quite ... but it didn't cool the room any more than a fart would.
So the Sharp portable unit went back to the store.
Back to square one.
Replace the window unit. Seal it so I can't see light, and so little critters can't climb through my window and eat me up at night.

BUT I CAN STILL HEAR CRICKETS!!!!

So - being the true redneck I am - decided to use some 3/4" thick plywood that was taking up space in our shed.
My wife cut it so that it fits in the window, around the A/C unit.
We wrapped it some of this:
3%20diy%20rolls%20larger.jpg

No - I'm not naive: I didn't HONESTLY think it would "sound proof" my window - but I was at least hoping for some reduction in noise, etc.

Nope.

Still hearing bugs (outside) formulating a plan on sucking out my blood.
Fuggin bugs bug me, Man.
Sand bags make me crazy. Bugs bug me.
Fuggin bugs.

Anyhoo ... so what next?!
Well - when one piece of wood doesn't reduce the noise, just get the Wife to cut an additional piece ... but this time, place some R-13 in between the first and second piece of 3/4" plywood.
Now - keep in mind the wood is going around the A/C unit.

I asked my oldest son to geaux outside and talk to me while I was in the room.
Could hear him as if the window were once again - wide open.

So now I'm left wondering if it is gonna be best to completely build an outside wall over the window's exterior.
What a pain in the butt.

So that's where I am at the moment.

No biggie. Should be able to overcome this pretty soon.
I have to. I made a commitment to the higher-ups with Groove3 to resume creating videos.

I don't break my word.

Oh well. Enough venting. Gotta get back to the drawing board.
Thanks for taking the time to read the thread.
Take care

Scott

Of course I can't be 100% on it - but I'm pretty confident that the majority of the sound is coming through the window.
The walls aren't impervious to sound - but they consist of 5/8" drywall, and R-19 insulation.
Not sound-proof ... but definitely able to keep the critter sound I'm hearing away ... I'm pretty sure
I just got done talking to somebody at RealTraps.
I'm gonna do some more research ... and then report my findings this evening.
If nothing else - maybe it can help somebody in the future.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Nate.
Take care

Scott

I would suggest framing up a box out of 2x4 to go inside the window frame on the inside (like a plug) and filling that with r-20+ batts and simply attaching drywall/plywood or even MDF to the inside surface. If you want to get really fancy use resilient channel to hang the drywall. Also make sure that you seal any air gaps around the outer edges with neoprene or some other type of high-density weather stripping, or even caulking. I did this with excellent results in my space - keeps the most of the unwanted sound out and is easy to remove when or if it comes time to tear everything apart.

Just another option for you to consider.

Cheers,

Jeff

That's a really good idea.
I read another post in another forum where somebody did just that.
It seems that might be the route I have to take.
Thanks for your input and time.
Take care

Scott

Although this is not a huge update - I still wanted to post a couple more pics before I start to bring in the toys, etc.:

100_2278.jpg

100_2279.jpg

You might notice the lop-sided traps in the corner ... I plan on fixing those so that they're straight.

You may have also noticed my red-neck barrier around my super-duper window unit. That is going to be worked on in the near future = will have to decide if I am going to close the window off completely and try a Mini Split A/C or something else. Time will tell.

And if you haven't noticed those other (2) things, maybe you've noticed that the clouds need to be brought together a little more. I'm happy with them at the moment, but as soon as my fuggin shit turd brother is able to come over, I'm gonna get him to help straighten those out for me.

The important things are this: this room has an alarm in all the important places. This room is paid for. This room is mine. This room is about to have some noisy-loud-as-shit-music blaring. And, although I've never liked it, and haven't tried to smoke any dooby in 15 years ... I think I might just have to find somebody who can get me a jernt and fire that bitch up!
That's what you're supposed to do in a studio, eh?

:devil:

At any rate - I'll be back in a bit. I intend on taking pics with each new thing I bring out to the room.
Take care

Scott

Thank you, Kind Sir. Have a Sake on me!
Never did hear how your B-Day night out went - you're here - so I assume everything went well!
I appreciate you taking the time to read the thread and reply.
Take care

Scott

haha! I hear ya. Thanks for taking the time to check out the thread and post a reply as well.

The Wood ...

100_2287.jpg

... and by "wood"
... I mean "boner"
... I mean "erection"
... I mean "hard-on"