Building My Box

I would definitely superchunk your corners. You have limited space, so it's not going to be easy.

What you need to do is get a bunch of rigid fiberglass or rockwool, cut it into triangular pieces, build a moderate sized frame, and stack it up to the ceiling in all corners. The room is so small, it's going to be hard to get a truly accurate bass response without some stellar bass trapping. Those traps you bought should be put at the first reflection points, as well as on the back wall, where the speakers are projecting toward, otherwise, your high end will be completely obscured by reflections from that wall interfering with the direct signal from the monitors.

Thanks for that. I went to The Home Depot last night - but I didn't see anything there that caught my eye.
So I guess it'll have to be one of those internet ventures!
Thanks again!

Scott

My chamber(one wall painted):
IMG_2270.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Waterboy, cool to see the updates on your place.

Your videos are always very entertaining, makes me learn and laugh:loco:

I will follow this topic, thanx.

Tom/KillDivision

Hi Waterboy,

Your room looks great, a bit narrow but proper acoustic treatment can make it a good room to mix in.
For treatment setup guidelines look here, http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

I ended up placing my monitors closer to the back wall because of lack of depth of my room, in a situation like yours you should consider the option of placing your monitors as close to the wall as possible and then attenuate the bass through the bass control on the monitors, the reason for this is explained in the speaker placement guidelines provided by Genelec, http://www.genelec.com/faq/acoustical/not-enough-bass/. Best to do is setup and listen, and measurements, make notes and move back and forth and listen for the best position.
Rear ported monitors suffer more than front ported for obvious reasons.

Hotstuff,

You now have 2 completely opposite opinions,

@ Tom: thanks, Sir! That is a very flattering compliment - and I will take 'em when I get 'em!
I appreciate you taking the time to check out the thread & replying as well!

@ Hotstuff: Very good input - and I appreciate it very much. I value all the input I've been receiving - and when it comes to getting separate opinions - that just makes things THAT much more interesting (IMHO).
So - although different - I value your input very much.

Now I have a couple of new questions - here's the deal: as mentioned before, I have 9' ceilings
I have two: 4' (H) x 2' (W) x 2" (D) "panels" available
These "high density 6lb per-cubit-foot fiberglass panels" are what I would like to use as an "acoustic cloud" above my mix position.

My first question is: will these suffice for now, or should I consider getting thicker panels which are made precisely for this [acoustic cloud] application?

Second question: if these panels are good enough - may I hang them in a flush manner? It's not that I'm too lazy to "suspend" them, it's just that I have to rely on my wife and oldest son to hang them. The easier, the better (ya know?!).

Thanks & take care

Scott

thanks a lot for taking the time to check out the thread (again) and post a reply as well!
Yeah _ I am looking forward to testing the room's frequencies, etc.
But at the same time - I'm a little anxious / intimidated about the results
Right now I need to figure out if those 2 panels can operate as "clouds" or not.
Once that's done - I plan on hanging them (or not) and then start to bring the noise.
I'll keep y'all posted.
Thanks again!

Scott

Yeah.
The BareTraps (from Real Traps) are what you see in the corner.
Whereas the darker, other panels are from Primacoustic's London Kit
Not yet shown (nor received yet) are (8) of these:
LENRD8BUR-xlarge.jpg

These will go in my rear corners.
Thanks for the question, Nate. I really appreciate it.
Take care

Scott

Hi Waterboy,

The treatment is looking good, I would definitely use 2´x4´x4" in the back corners as opposed to foam, foam may look good but is not near as effective as rockwooll/fiberglass panels.
I would try with and without those panels you have on the front wall (not the corner bass traps!, keep those) keeping it reflective may give you better detail in the highs!
2- 2´x4´x2" or one bigger panel as a cloud will be great above the mix position. At an angle facing downward at the front to breakup reflection between the floor ceiling.

Hotstuff

By facing "downward at the front" are you saying I should angle the clouds similar to this:

stratus-w-console2-LG.jpg

or the opposite?
Thanks for your time and input - by the way.
I really do appreciate and value it very much.
Take care

Scott

Hey Scott, did you get my email?

I think you're doing a great job man!
Looks really, really good. Ultra jealous of you having that at home!

Take care dude,
A

@ Noodles: dood! where you been??!! I didn't get an eMail - I need to go check any additional folders, etc.
Thanks for the kind words. Always great to hear from ya!!

@ nwright: I hear ya. These traps (LENRD's) are gonna be in the rear of the room - so my hope is that their ability (or lack of) to absorb unwanted frequencies will be minor. But if they end up sucking too bad, you bet they'll be sent right back to where I ordered them!
:cool:

Y'all rewl. Take care

Scott