Building My Box

Somebody on another forum made a really funny comparison:
cool black to piss yellow! (even though it was technically dark grey!)
:lol:

I call it - my Golden Shower room.
:dopey:

I would imagine that a camera's flash wouldn't make the textured walls look the greatest, either.

In a general sense, I've found that "shellac"-ing a textured wall with a slightly darker and watered down color will make the texture "pop". Rub the slightly darker watered down color over the top of the yellow and the quickly wipe off the watered down paint. the darker stuff will makes its way in the recesses created by the texture and give it a more finished appearance. If you just textured with paint only, like a faux finish, then never mind.

But, if you are just going to fill the room with acoustic treatment, why bother, eh?

Haha, my mom's an interior designer, so I hear this crap a lot.

The jury is still out on that question.
I've read mixed opinions about flooring within the environment, etc.
I've rad that carpet isn't the best idea, but I've also read bare floors aren't great either.
So in addition to the treatment I will have on the walls, I intend on making a cloud.
The "undecided" part of my reply is wether to get a couple of area rugs, etc.
But thank you very much for taking the time to check out the thread and especially for your question.
Take care

Scott

The jury is still out on that question.
I've read mixed opinions about flooring within the environment, etc.
I've rad that carpet isn't the best idea, but I've also read bare floors aren't great either.
So in addition to the treatment I will have on the walls, I intend on making a cloud.
The "undecided" part of my reply is wether to get a couple of area rugs, etc.
But thank you very much for taking the time to check out the thread and especially for your question.
Take care

Scott

Starting to look good now brother. Get in there and make us some cool tutorial vids! Rugs are cool because you can tweak them if you need to.

Hey, guys.
That is a kewl link for Real Traps ... good information. Thanks for that!
I am on the verge of making some more videos - almost done with the project!!

here are a couple more pics:

100_2271.jpg

100_2270.jpg

As you can see - the yellow is gone. It didn't work out quite like my wife hoped it would - but that's ok.
The room could be purple with swirly shit on the walls, and it wouldn't have bothered me.
But I am content with this color and how everything turned out.
The next thing on the agenda is to start placing the treatment and whatnot.
Thanks for taking the time to check out the thread.
Take care

Scott

Thanks, Mr Wright.
I appreciate it very much. And as for the treatment - I'm hoping to start tomorrow.
So we'll see how things geaux!
Thanks for taking the time to reply and stuff.
Take care

Scott

Thanks very much!
I woke up a few minutes thinking about the treatment ... it's gettin' close to that time!
Thanks very much for taking the time to check out the thread, and for the reply too!
Take care

Scott

Alrighty, then.
So I am at a place where I could use some input, please.

I am posting these pics to give you an idea where I would like to set my desk. It's hard to tell - but the desk is actually about 2' away from the wall.
In the corners behind the desk - you'll notice there are (2) out of (4) BareTraps - I put them there just to give some sense of measurement, etc.
These BareTraps are apprx 4' x 2' in size (I believe).

100_2273.jpg

100_2272.jpg

So why do I need y'alls input? I am curious where (on the walls) to place the rest of my treatment.
Here is what I have:

Two: 4' (H) x 2' (W) x 2" (D) "panels"
Eight: 4' (H) x 1' (W) x 2" (D) "columns"
Twelve: 1' (H) x 1' (W) x 1" (D) "blocks"
Four: 4' (H) x 2' (W) x 3.25" (D) "BareTraps"

Just wondering if anybody has any input on the placement of these units.
I have an idea or two on how I might hang them - but before I commit, I wanted to get some additional opinions.
Thanks and take care!

Scott

The thicker shit in the corners of the room and the thinner ones in the first reflection points. You can sit in the position you will be working in and have a friend go through the room holding a mirror against the walls in every possible spot, and whenever you can see a monitor in the mirror, place a panel there. You already mentioned a cloud, which I'd recommend, too!

Looks really cozy and comfortable by the way, nice work bro! :headbang:

Very good input, Sir. Very kind words. Thanks for that.
I am going to try what you suggested with the mirror.
As for the Cloud - yeah - I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to go that route as well.
Thanks again for the input
Take care

Scott

I forgot to ask about having a 2' space between my desk and the wall: is that a good idea, or am I pissing in the wind?

The reason I have a space such as that - is because I recall reading somewhere that could be a good thing ... but I can't remember where I read it, or who said it
And (FWIW) I am using Focal Twin 6's -
Thanks

Scott

The speakers should certainly be away from the walls and especially corners, so if they are going to be standing on the desk, then naturally it would make sense to get the desk away from the walls. Unfortunately, judging from the photos, you won't have much choice in that regard. Still, try to position things so that the speakers are at least 10 inches, preferably 20.

Those corners are going to give you major headaches, quite literally if they make everything sound boomy and smeared. I would advise you to consider superchunks. It's Fiberglass or Rockwool cut diagonally and stacked from floor to bottom, the width depending on what you can afford considering the space you've got on your disposal. You can even get away with stapling the fabric directly to the drywall if that's acceptable for you. This way you don't have to deal with making a frame and also you'll be able to use your panels to cover a greater area of the room.

Excellent advice. Thanks very much for taking the time to post.
So - if I understand correctly - you're suggesting 10" - 20" between the rear of the Focals and the wall, correct?
As for the sides - you're right - I'm kinda stuck with minimal space.
Thanks again for taking the time to check out the thread, and for your reply.
Take care

Scott

Correct. Most speakers have a bass roll-off to compensate for the build-up but in my experience this doesn't work out very well at all, it just feels like you still got the boomy and untight low-end, just quieter.