Burzum - Belus (aka "Den Hvite Guden") (2010)

In terms of global media, no, so you are correct.

But in terms of Norwegian, I would say different story. His trial and sentence are a testament to the corruption of the Norsk justice system. It was his affiliation with the political far-right and his statements which got his parole knocked back a number of times, he certainly didn't do himself any favours.

Look at the West Memphis Three, how fucked are things for them? They're obviously innocent, and yet the media is why they're in jail in the first place. Now their fight for freedom has become so blurred that the legal system in their state keeps them incarcerated under the suspicion of Echols being a satanist when in fact he is Pagan. It was a witch-hunt, trialled by media.

Remember, for us in the West... UK, AU and US, our media hasn't taken notice of Vikernes or the arsons that much. But in Norway? Even the loneliest farmer knows who Greven ("The Count") is.

The arsons especially upset a lot of Norwegians because of their strong Christian and conservative culture. They don't speak of him much now, but they will never forget him. The early 90's rocked their country to its heart. Ask any Norwegian.

I didn't realize how prevalent those church burnings were. I guess I assumed that even most of Norway would have forgotten about him or just shrugged him off by now. That's interesting.

I think some of you people are overestimating Varg's fame in Norway, if you're not into metal you have most likely never heard of him.

I get the feeling after watching Until the Light Takes Us that he was all over the news at the time of his incarceration, but he probably has been largely forgotten by people who were very young at the time, kind of like Timothy McVey in the US, I'm sure if you asked a lot of high school age kids these days they would only have a vague notion of who he is.

Did you not read the accompanying quote in his post?

But as a side note, you might want to change your avatar lest you want to keep getting ridiculed by the entire forum

I stand by my bands and I love them...Deal with it, I could also appreciate the Vision of Burzum. I usually am not a fan of old school BM but I haven't disliked a single song yet by Varg and friends. Not that I dislike older BM, usually it's just to fast and incoherent for my taste. I love the style minus the vocals.

This may sound crazy but I feel like a band like Moonsorrow was influenced by Burzum a lot.

has anyone ever seen the movie gummo? I watched it today in my video class - coincidentally I had been listening to filosofem on the way to class and in the movie they use parts of "rundgang um die...." There was also a couple doom and death sounding songs I didn't recognize in the soundtrack. It was very esoteric.

fuck, Gave the band another (like 5-6th) chance now and I think im starting to get into Filosofem :guh:
haven't sleep for 48hours now, so maybe my ears are turing into some wierd state of mind. But "Jesus' Tod" sounds great in my head right now...