Burzum - Belus (aka "Den Hvite Guden") (2010)

The more I listen to Belus, the more obvious its quality is to me, which makes me all the more glad that I didn't hasten to a conclusion on it like so many others have literally while they were listening to the leak for the first time. It is, like Engram, and thankfully so I might add, a disappointment to all of those who were hoping for a Filosofem II or any of his other albums, though honestly, sans the lack of keyboards, the sound of each album is still represented here in some form or another. After getting over a few initial shocks to the system (like jumping into a freezing lake), namely the admittedly lackluster intro, the clearer and louder production, the vocal differences, and some new musical ideas, I've warmed up to the entire thing pretty quickly. That's not to say it's perfect by any means, however, though none of his works are. The aforementioned effete hammer, the inconsistency in songwriting style that is prevalent in most of his albums, the fairly static drumming, and the slightly elongated outro bring the work down somewhat, though they're all fairly dismissible.

Musically, though varied in style, the quality is pretty consistent throughout, highlights arguably being Belus' Død, Glemsevens Elv, and Keliohesten, at least for the time being. While Sverddans sounds a bit out of place, the song itself is composed very well, and the primitivism of the style (most likely arbitrarily) echoes the accompanying lyrics. It is interestingly the peak of the album in terms of tempo, serving as the climax, with the rest of the album trodding down to a restful denouement with the return of the summer sun/Belus, an interesting feature that I hope others note.

I'm also quite pleased with the way that the album is fleshed out conceptually, intertwining the Baldur myth with speculative deduction as to the myths origins in primitive sorcery. Varg himself provides much of the necessary reading material to fall deeply within this world. One of his stated goals was the desire for the listener to "get to know Belus" and to pursue that which the Belus myth entails, and I think that the album accomplishes that for those who bother to visit his webpage and read the proper corresponding translation, of which there are now ample. I have to admit that the album reignited my interest in mythology, and I found myself pulling out my old books on the Norse myths and rereading to story of Baldur. It really is a fascinating story in and of itself, and to understand how it may relate to how it relates to a more primitive time before the myth existed and how it became such a crucial element of pagan iconography just makes it even more rewarding. For anybody finding themselves going deeper and deeper into Belus, I would recommend sitting down and reading the lyrics, reading the corresponding articles that Varg has written, and reading up on the Baldur myth itself.

I have to do a presentation in my mythology class, and I chose the category Mythology in Music, so I think I'll do most of my research on the baldur myth and focus a lot on this album.

The more I listen to Belus, the more obvious its quality is to me, which makes me all the more glad that I didn't hasten to a conclusion on it like so many others have literally while they were listening to the leak for the first time. etc etc etc ...

Well said. Nice to read something more constructively thought out. I think you've hit it well.

my thoughts are that its really excellent... i enjoy track 3 quite a bit. his best musicianship, production and vocals yet.

The songs are great but what the hell is up with the guitar tone? It gives me a headache. This disc needs much more feedback... or a less piercing guitar tone.

Oh, but there is one good thing about this book; it makes me want to write a book about this myself (in English), to get things right. Maybe I will one day. Maybe I should, so that we don't have to see anymore ludicrous "Black Metal" fairy tale stories like the one told us in Håvard Rem's book.

Please write the book Varg, I will certainly pre-order 10 copies for it :kickass:. This guy's a seriously good writer.

Ok, I'm pretty late to the party here. I forgot all about this album for some reason and noticed I am over a month late in buying it, considering I originally planned to pre-order it.

But I have just ordered it on vinyl from Amazon UK, what are the chances that I'll get a white vinyl version now? I've heard they have run out of the white vinyl now and have reverted to standard black vinyl. I know I shouldn't really care, it doesn't make any difference to the quality of the music itself, but after reading I could have got the limited white version it's kinda annoyed me. :erk:

I thought this album was totally boring. You'd think that after all that time he'd have some good ideas or something. I found a good review of Belus at this weird site http://theslaver.com/924

Were you all also let down when you heard Belus?

The album is good.

But given Varg's almost mythical status among metalheads, it's normal that many were disappointed by how pedestrian his newest album is, especially given how many bands in the BM underground are pushing the boundaries of this kind of music further.

I actually enjoyed Belus. The best thing in this album is how the vocals take a backseat in favour of tremolo picked, repetitive melodies, unhindered by vocals most of the time. Varg goes Agalloch. =p

I can't get past the terrible guitar/drum playing. I took classical guitar lessons when a teen and also for blues/jazz. I usually come on UM.com and cringe when people link bands like Burzum,Mayhem,Immortal,etc.. and black metal too classical music.