Burzum - Belus (aka "Den Hvite Guden") (2010)

Dodens, give up man... I'm on the same boat as you here, but the faggotry in this thread is out of control. Don't waste your time on these idiots...

Shut your mouth you pretentious fuck.

Hlidskjalf is a fucking awesome album. I'm looking forward to hearing this new one.

The rest of this thread is ridiculous.Who cares if the cover looks gay? Who cares if people laugh at the cover for looking gay?
Who fucking cares.
Listen to the album or don't. Don't get your panties in a twist for any of the other shit.

"Katalyrics" was a really, really gay thing to say though.

Varg's lyrics are pretty esoteric, and another problem with interpretation lies in the fact that more than a little is lost in translation.

I think that Varg is impressive, but on a superficial level. As far as poetic value goes, I believe his lyrics are too personal to be successfully and completely understood by others. That said, I do feel there is some philosophical, spiritual, and literary depth to them. However, most of lyrics expound upon a philosophy that is inherently flawed and harmful, so this raises another question of whether or not they're valuable.

Well, his lyrics are derived from his personal views which are considerably flawed and harmful. I should have specified that. I don't suppose thay many of his lyrics explicitly support or condone his views, but you have to consider his perspective when interpreting his lyrics.

When judging art, you must divorce it from the artist as much as possible to obtain the most objective critical perspective that you can, in my opinion. Consider these lyrics, from "Feeble Screams from Forests Unknown":

Drifting
In the Air
Above a Cold Lake
Is a Soul
From an Early
Better Age
Grasping for
A Mystic Thought
In Vain...but Who's to Know
Further on Lies Eternal Search
For Theories to Lift the Gate
Only Locks Are Made Stronger
And More Keys Lost as Logic Fades
In the Pool of Dreams the Water Darkens
For the Soul That's Tired of Search
As Years Pass by
The Aura Drops
As Less and Less
Feelings Touch
Stupidity
Has Won too Much
The Hopeless Soul Keeps Mating

Where's the hateful philosophy here anyway? I went back and read some of his lyrics last night and didn't get too much in the way of his racism, etc. and weirdo ideologies being presented.

When judging art, you must divorce it from the artist as much as possible to obtain the most objective critical perspective that you can, in my opinion.

This might result in another debate :cool: I feel that observing art separately can only bring us so far, and usually not much deeper than a superficial interpretation of the text. I feel that this is fine for its own purposes; but in order to develop a truly complete knowledge of a work of art we have to also take into account the artist and his or her reasons for creating the work.

Of course, if you believe that art stems from a deeper source and that the artist is merely a conduit through which the essence of art comes into a material existence, then an artist and his or her surroundings mean little. As an artist, I disagree with this idea because I feel that I'm constantly influenced by my experiences.

Where's the hateful philosophy here anyway? I went back and read some of his lyrics last night and didn't get too much in the way of his racism, etc. and weirdo ideologies being presented.

Actually, I find several references to Varg's personal philosophy in that song. Take the line: "...a soul from an early better age." I think it's safe to say that Varg is referring to a mythical age without Christian influence, and the "soul" referred to in the song is a noble savage-type figure (such as he likely envisions himself). The soul is "grasping for a mystic thought in vain" because he's living in the contemporary world, which is a world highly removed from Varg's ideal conception of a pre-Christian, pagan cosmology. The conclusion of the song is especially telling:

"As Years Pass by
The Aura Drops
As Less and Less
Feelings Touch
Stupidity
Has Won too Much
The Hopeless Soul Keeps Mating"

The noble savage loses faith and conviction as the years pass and he is subjected to the contemporary "stupidity" of Judeo-Christian belief, and the more he reproduces the more influenced his progeny are by the growing pervasion of Christianity.

then apparently nobody should read h.p. lovecraft since he was quite the outspoken racist

So was T.S. Eliot, to an extent. I don't believe that this is a reason to avoid an artist's work. I'm merely trying to argue that an artist's personal beliefs have some impact on what they create, even if it's a minimal degree.

My statement in which I first mentioned Varg's beliefs and suggested that his work has no value was directed at the people who dismiss him immediately because they think he's an idiot. That's no reason to avoid his art, in my opinion.

Of course their personal beliefs have an influence on how they write...Poe's background as a person definitely affected the way in which he wrote, as well, for instance. Someone's beliefs and whether you agree or disagree with them shouldn't have anything to do with value, though. If you're letting someone's mindset affect your appreciation of the art, you're probably not cut out for judging art. I think that it may be partially true that understanding art from a detached perspective only goes so far, but certainly it is also folly to believe that, because you're allowing your ideas of the artist's work to be affected by preconceived notions of the artist's intentional OR unintentional harm, offense or other things like that, you are judging work fairly.

However, most of lyrics expound upon a philosophy that is inherently flawed and harmful, so this raises another question of whether or not they're valuable.

so do we consider the works by artists like Lovecraft and T.S. Eliot valuable?

this argument gets brought up everytime an artist is linked with questionable views. Arghoslent, NSBM...the debate never ends. The war between the formalists and new historicists rages on

Since Lovecraft revolutionized fiction and brought it into an entire new, incredibly developed, unthought-of-theretofore realm, I would say I consider his works extremely valuable, despite how many times he references his racism in his stories. I think in this case a sliding scale is useful in terms of judging the art.

I wrote that really hastily. In my last post I tried to clarify: that statement is directed at people who dismiss Varg immediately because they think he's an idiot and worthless because of his personal views.

Furthermore, I shouldn't have used the word "expound." I should have said his lyrics are derived from his philosophy.

And I agree with the revolutionary status of Lovecraft (not to the extent of Eliot, but it's tough to beat one of the godfathers of Modernism). I do not feel that their personal views detract from their art.

I think an artist's official persona can be seen as part of his art, if he has created one. Just look at what Darkthrone did in the early 90's, surely the mystique surrounding Darkthrone enchanced the listening experience for many people. Varg is probably different though, he means everything he says.