Burzum

They're good.

Filosofem > Hvis Lyset Tar Oss > Belus > Fallen > everything else

I was thinking for a while when I saw this, but dude, I fucking agree with you. If anything, I would switch HLTO w/ Belus, that shit is overrated.

Valen is a fucking masterpiece of a song IMO. As is Glemselens Elv. The later albums are no different from the older ones in that they're all inconsistent, but I find that's something about the Burzum catalogue that I love. Keeps it interesting.

Can someone tell me if the new Burzum albums are worthy? I doubt that they're on the same plane as his old music, though they might be very solid on their own.

I was stunned by Beherit's comeback, so maybe I'd be surprised pleasantly.

Belus is great. A big, heavy, intricate and dynamic album. Not on par with Filosofem or Hvis... but I would say its comparable in quality of Det Som... Fallen is good, but the production really annoys me and the songwriting is pretty redundant.

I was thinking for a while when I saw this, but dude, I fucking agree with you. If anything, I would switch HLTO w/ Belus, that shit is overrated.

I would...not switch those, are you fucking serious? No. I would also put the s/t (with Aske) above Belus as well. It's good, and so is Fallen but nowhere near the classics.

The ambient track on Filosofem sucks. It is about 7 minutes too long.

I recently purchased DSEV and that is the most sinister fucking thing I've heard from Varg. It might become my favorite here soon.

I would...not switch those, are you fucking serious? No. I would also put the s/t (with Aske) above Belus as well. It's good, and so is Fallen but nowhere near the classics.

HLTO is overrated.

A little illustration:

(My) anticipation of Belus - XXXXX
Quality of Belus - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anticipation of Fallen (based on quality of Belus) - XXXXXXXXX
Quality of Fallen - XXXXXX

How people rate HLTO - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
How good HLTO actually is - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Is Filosofem better than HLTO - YES
Should Varg release another album (based on the descending quality of his new material) - NOT REALLY

A little illustration:

(My) anticipation of Belus - XXXXX
Quality of Belus - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anticipation of Fallen (based on quality of Belus) - XXXXXXXXX
Quality of Fallen - XXXXXX

How people rate HLTO - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
How good HLTO actually is - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Is Filosofem better than HLTO - YES
Should Varg release another album (based on the descending quality of his new material) - NOT REALLY

I disagree on every single one of these statements.

HLTO is definitely Varg's best, Filosofem a close second. Then Belus, then Burzum/Aske, then Fallen, then DSEV in last. I even like the ambient stuff but it's not on the same tier.