By The Pain I See In Others

Ümlaut

The Grand Conjurer
May 6, 2008
Is it just me, or is this song HELLA underrated?

This song fucking blows me away. :kickass:

I haven't listened to that song in forever. Like I've said before, Deliverance is my least Opeth album, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Heck! It's just another masterpiece like every other Opeth release! I just don't find myself listening to it like I do some of their other albums.

Klämrisk;7396319 said:
It is HELLA underrated, that's why it already has at least 2 other topics dedicated to it...

The song pwns!!!

Pfft, 2 topics is indeed underrated.

How many topics does Ghost of Perdition have lol?

Anyway, BTPISIO is effin' bitchin'.

+1.
My only gripe is the 4 minutes of silence at the end.
Oh well, it still destroys.

Agreed, I usually goto another song after that. Sometimes if I'm baked I totally zone out though, then that ending comes in and melts my face for some reason...

Very good song, great - great - album. To me it's the last absolute masterpiece album from Opeth. I like Watershed, Ghost Reveries and Damnation, but I love Morningrise through Deliverance and that included By the Pain I See in Others!

Absolutely LOVE it. So many really badass riffs (RIIISE TO SUBMISSSIOOOOONNNN) and a really cool juxtaposition of growls and clean guitar. My favourite from the album, actually.

I think it's a pretty interesting song. I can kinda see why Mikael himself dislikes it though. I think it's cause the structure seems a bit... unfinished?

But the singing in the beginning is downright scary when listened in the middle of the night (as I am right now) and the riffs are cool. Actually, the song doesn't get boring either as weird shit keeps happening. I like it!

It's probably my favourite song on Deliverance, though I have a new-found love for Wreath after hearing it live, it utterly destroyed.

Finally. I've been watching on the internet how people bitch about this song, I never understood the reason. It is indeed quite different from other Opeth songs, but I always liked it a lot, even though Mikael himself admitted it's poorly written. Ah well, maybe Mikael brainwashed everyone? o_O

LOVE this song. In fact, I've listened to this album all week, and almost nothing but it. I don't know why. I've had it for a while.

But yeah, this song is very brutal. Cut off the last three minutes, though, 'cause it drags on too long. I hate when ending songs do that, because I like to make playlists, and this often kills the chances of songs doing this to get in them.

Wow... In both paragraphs, I've managed to get off-topic. Go me!

Though we've heard many versions of Mike's distaste for the song I think, personally, it culminates alot of Deliverance's brooding frustration and energy into a twisted, distorted, dark atmosphere that just releases itself at the end and drags out slowly and surely as you listen to the sound fade (and the backwards bit of master's apprentice's comes back to haunt you :p), almost as if you can feel the whole band taking a big sigh. I like paying attention to the moods of the albums and how they make me feel and Deliverance is no question about it the most depressing, insane album, with For Absent Friends and A Fair Judgment weighing out both factors. By the pain I see in Others is no exception.

I love the 'outside in the park...' part. Everything fits so well: Mike's ominously
deep vocals, the carnivalesque keys, and of course, Lopez's drumming.