Cab mic shootout

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Today, I did a dynamic mic shootout.
All recorded mics have no EQ or post processing.
Mics placed off axis using pink noise for consitency.
The mic being used is pictured full screen for the duration of that mic's recording, making it easy to quickly jump between mics.
Obviously, in the mix all these mics would be EQed differently but they are all flat so you can hear the characteristics of each mic.

We're these all on the same speaker, and we're all the off-axis angles the same, or just what best fit the pink noise placement? Very interesting shootout, Thanks!

I think you should get one of these vintage grey MD421. They sound much better on cabinets in my opinion with a noticeably more "open" high end.

I'm not a "vintage is always better" advocate but in this case, I think it's true. Modern MD421 are just fine for toms though.

In your shootout, I preferred the old trusty 57 personally. Just like in real life. I have a good bunch of options (including a very cool MD407 witch sounds like a fuller/nicer e906) but I always end up with the 57 because that's the sound in my head.

Thanks for watching and commenting.
All mics on the same cone of the Recto cab.
Place slightly off axis using pink noise and positioned just outside the unbearable 4k fizz =]
The 906 blends well with pretty much any other mic but these days, I tend to go for one mic, usually a 57.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment guys.
It's still the 57 for me =]
The 201 is really nice but I prefer the bite of the 57.

To be honest I liked all of these with the exception of the 421 and the SM7B (too dark, was the presence boost on?)

Really need to try out the pink noise placement, keep meaning to do it!