cab micing; on the floor or in the air? carpet or tile?

Incognito Man

Jan 27, 2009
when recording a 4x12 do you guys have the cab on the floor or up off the ground?

i have read that getting it off the ground can produce a better tone so i am looking for any insight to this theroy.

also would a tile vs carpet floor have an effect on the tone i wonder?

(we are talking about hi gain tones here)

depending on the sound your after, carpet would probably be a better choice if you are going for that dry sound most people do. tile is always going to give you more room ambience. off the floor is def the way to go, if even to help you judge the low end when you put the cans on.

I like getting it off the ground. I tend to like the bottom speakers in my cabinet (slant), so it's nice to get them to where I'm not constantly on my knees while moving the mic. I just stick the cabinet on a couple cinder blocks, so it's decoupled from the floor.

38431432464204088170632.jpg

From Jason Suecof's Audiohammer Studio

Is there really that much of a noticeable difference between something like this, and just letting the cab sit on its casters?

Yes there is, because you're decoupling from the floor more so than with casters only; to my ears the bass freqs 'clear up' and become tighter with it.

I think the sound is actually less about decoupling and more about comb filtering. This is why cinder blocks still work , I prefer milk crates though.

From Jason Suecof's Audiohammer Studio

Sorry to be this guy but this is from Mark, not Jason;)
I know Mark and Jason work as a team, and Jason is an awesome producer/engineer/mixer... But that really annoy me when people credit Jason when Mark done the job...

Pretty sure I read on here some time ago that Andy liked a Bottom speakers sound so he just turned the cab sideways to effectively make it a Top speaker position and sat it on the floor, not decoupled (maybe).