Calling all Opeth homos

I really like it. More clean singing, but I think the somewhat...weirder... sound works out really well. Atmospheric and awesome as expected.

Also, wooooo blastbeats.

I've listened to it through 4 times now, my impression hasn't changed a lot. Burden and The Lotus Eater are probably my favorites as of now; Heir Apparent is more straight-ahead metal (reminds me of MAYH), Coil is interesting but not exactly a song-proper, more a cool intro to HA. I'm still locking down my feelings on the last three.

Right now I'd rate it above Ghost Reveries but below Blackwater or Still Life (my favorites). Some unusual stuff going on for sure and absolutely worth a buy for anyone who likes Opeth. Definitely prog, though, not much death metal in evidence here.

I love this album, great improvement from Ghost Reveries. It's cool cuz they have some of the heaviest stuff they've ever done on, and some of the mellowest stuff as well...not to mention it's probably their most progressive work to date, great release. I dunno if it'll be a favourite, but it's awesome nevertheless.

I guess I kinda have the same feelings as Hubster.

The first full spin was interesting, lots of tricks and surprises, I thought it would get better and better after each spin, but after a day of listning I have to say im a bit disappointed aswell. I had the same experience with GR, which I like much better now than i did at first, so its probably too early for me to make a good judgement.

The biggest disappointment is that there is only 3 tracks with growls, and sadly these are the songs with the least good riffs.
First time I heard Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega i was expecting the growls to come in and kick my ass at some of the climax points, but they never did. :(

Nathalie does an awesome job on Coil, much better than expected.
So far i think Burden and Porcelain Heart are my favs.

Hopefully this album will grow alot on me.

I think Burden was the standout for me, but keeping in mind that's considering I still feel it falls prey to negative characteristics that the rest of the record does.

I still feel Watershed is a very lacklustre experience, and certainly will gain praise, as Ghost Reveries did, from lesser experienced listeners or newer fans of Opeth and metal in general. I wouldn't recommend this record to anyone who has listened to metal seriously for over a decade, it simply compromises too much.

I think Burden was the standout for me, but keeping in mind that's considering I still feel it falls prey to negative characteristics that the rest of the record does.

I still feel Watershed is a very lacklustre experience, and certainly will gain praise, as Ghost Reveries did, from lesser experienced listeners or newer fans of Opeth and metal in general. I wouldn't recommend this record to anyone who has listened to metal seriously for over a decade, it simply compromises too much.

I think a lot of those same 'experienced' heshers would suggest that this criticism can be applied to the whole of the band's catalog.

This is okay reminds me of the Grand Conjunction and kind of has a straight up death metal sound to it

Opeth has nothing wrong with them they make atmospheric music like black metal

I don't come to Opeth for brutality anyway. The record is atmospheric, progressive, and just generally pretty damn good. Still Life it aint, but it has some of the best stuff they've written (The Lotus Eater, Burden). I think the second half drags slightly but all in all it's a great release from a great group (or a great guy, to be honest).