Camel, where do I start?

FUBAR

Sep 19, 2004
UK
So we all know Mike loves Camel and even rips off their songs sometimes. I want to get a couple of their albums can anyone recommend which ones to get first?

FUBAR said:
So we all know Mike loves Camel and even rips off their songs sometimes. I want to get a couple of their albums can anyone recommend which ones to get first?

I haven heard a few albums. My fav is Camel "Camel" (1973 i think.)

the first 4 are essential. then get rain dances if you enjoy all those. its the 5th album, featuring more jazzy structures and Richard Sinclair (of caravan and hatfield & the north) on bass and vocals replacing doug ferguson. As well as mel collins (of king crimson) on wind instruments.

Hey,

For anyone interested in Camel, check out Moonmadness.
I live in Australia and you can pick it up from most JB Hi-Fi's for about $15.
You need to approch this album with an open mind. I put spirit of the water on repeat and within 15 minutes I was totally hooked. The rest of the album just flows through you. It really is beautiful music way ahead of it's time.

Hope that helps.

blackwater_demon said:
Hey,

You need to approch this album with an open mind. I put spirit of the water on repeat and within 15 minutes I was totally hooked. The rest of the album just flows through you. It really is beautiful music way ahead of it's time.

Hope that helps.

Yep, Moonmadness and 'Snow Goose' are somewhat obvious choices that should be heard by everyone getting interested in Camel. (Btw, the version of Spirit of the Water on Coming of Age -live beats the album version 6 - 0. Fine lil ballad.)

If being courageous enough, I'd recommend to try Harbour of Tears. Newer Camel, which is also a brilliant piece and strong as an entirety. Surely it's musically gone far from those 70's masterpieces´, but absolutely an essential record. Contains some great guitar work (also heck out: Rajaz).

Or, I guess after trying Snow Goose / Moonmadness and some, you could try some of those great live recordings, like Never Let Go and Coming of Age. Shows you an another side of Camel after those hippie recordings :D

I'd say there's no album which would be a total flop and wouldn't contain anything good.

ps. Ice

blackwater_demon said:
Hey,

Hope that helps.

1976. not "ahead" of its time at all.

but a fantastic record.