Can you convince me otherwise? I challenge U

magnificent melody

Bringer of Life and War
Nov 11, 2004
Bronx, NY
Hey people, haven't been around in ages. I have a simple request of you all, and in return I will be forever blissful. I've been stuck for a while in a certain amount of metal and I want to increase my library as well as my knowledge of metal music. I have some c-ds that I think are as great as they come, and I know I can find better material, I just want you guys to convince me there is. I want to put out there that I am extremely open minded when it comes to a lot, especially music. I listen to basically all forms of metal though I really haven't heard much good doom/black metal. I would like recommendations of metal c-ds from bands that you think I would like when you see the c-ds of bands I like. There isn’t much else to say except if you have any questions, say so. Thanx.

Symphony X – The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, Twilight In Olympus, V:, The Odyssey

Iced Earth – Burnt Offerings

Opeth – Still Life

Blind Guardian – Imaginations From The Other Side

Yngwie Malmsteen – Rising Force

Children Of Bodom – Follow The Reaper

DragonForce – Sonic Firestorm

Iron Maiden – Power Slave

Annihilator – Alice In Hell

Angel Dust – Enlighten The Darkness

Dio – Holy Diver

Megadeth – Rust In Peace

Slayer – Reign In Blood

Well, I notice a distinct lack of RAGE....so I'm gonna suggest them. Check out www.rage-on.de and www.victorsmolski.de for some clips. I suggest Down, Don't Fear the Winter, Straight to Hell, and War of Worlds. Also if you like Slayer, you should check out Kreator, they just came out with a new album called Enemy of God, and its fucking killer www.kreator-terrorzone.de. And finally, I'll suggest my latest band infatuation: GRAVE DIGGER. Really agressive thrash-power metal, kinda like rage only a little more oldschool. Check The Grave Digger and Rheingold www.grave-digger.de

Regardless of your faves listed above ou need these cds

Freak Kitchen-Move
-Dead Soul Men

Masterplan-s/t
-Aeronautics or basically anything with Jorn Lande singing on it.

Devin Townsend-Terria
-Ocean Machine

Strapping Young Lad-City

Ayreon-The Human Equation
-Into the Electric Castle

Into Eternity-Buried in Oblivion

Mercenary-11 Dreams

Edge of Sanity-Crimson II

and some classics (if you don't have them) like

Helloween-Keeper of the seven keys pt 1 and 2.
Rainbow-Long Live Rock n Roll / Rising
Black Sabbath-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath / Mob Rules
Riot-Fire Down Under
Testament-Practice What you Preach
Anthrax-Among the Living
Coroner-No More Colour
Kreator-Terrible Certainty

Everyone should have a copy of Rainbow-Rising

Dream Theater-Images and Words, Scenes From A memory

King Crimson-In the court of the Crimson King, Red

Evergrey- Recreation Day, In Search of Truth

Death- Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance, Individual THought Patterns

check out cd collection thread, i am kind of having a brain fart right now

Pretty open minded? let's see how open minded you are :p:

Doom Metal:

Estatic Fear: Somnium Obmutum, A Sombre Dance
Arcane Sun: Arcane Sun

Prog, neoclassical, avantgarde:

Adagio: Underworld
Winds: Reflections Of The I, Of Entity And Mind
Age Of Silence: Acceleration
Estradasphere: Buck Fever
Green Carnation: Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
Hollenthon: With Vilest Of Worms To Dwel
Into Eternity: Buried In Oblivion
Windham Hell: Reflective Depths Imbibe

Black Metal, viking (check these albums if you can get past the vocals):

Mirrorthrone: Of Wind And Weeping
Empyrium: Songs Of Moors And Misty Fields
Ulver: Bergtatt
In The Woods: HEart Of The Ages
Aeternus: ...And So The Night Became
Abigor: Nachthymnen
Nokturnal Mortum: Goat Horns
Temnozor': Horizons...

Thrash Metal:

Dark Angel: Darkness Descends
Nevermore: The Politics Of Ecstasy, Dead Heart In A Dead World

There's plenty of awesome metal bands outside the traditional genres, you just have to take a look and find them.

Everyone (open minded or not) needs these glam/hair metal classics.

Ratt-Invasion of your Privacy
Vain-No respect
Spread Eagle-s/t
Dokken-Under Lock and Key
TNT-Tell No Tales
L.A Guns-Cocked and Loaded
Pantera-Projects in the Jungle
Winger-s/t
Danger Danger-Screw It
Babylon AD-s/t
Motley Crue-Girls Girls Girls
Lynch Mob-Wicked Sensation
Europe-Out of this World
John Norum-Total Control & Face the Truth
Whitesnake-1987

My 3 favourites:

Ark - Burn The Sun
Orphaned Land - Mabool (The Story Of The Three Sons Of Seven)
Symphony X - V

You need these albums, and Ark have essentially broken up so I guess it'll just get harder to obtain their cds from here on out.

Well, I'll offer my suggestion for some other albums by bands you've listed already:

Symphony X – Get them all. Even the self-titled album has something to offer any SyX fan.

Iron Maiden – Get "Piece of Mind" (probably the best Maiden album ever). Also get the "Live After Death" concert album, it's awesome! "Seventh Son ..." isn't bad either. Has some cool song on it. Don't really recommend anything beyond that.

Annihilator – Definitely get "Never Never Land". Awesome album, better than "Alice" overall. "Set the World on Fire" isn't great, but it's the last decent Annihilator album. The later albums have some ok songs but overall they aren't very good. If you venture further into their catalog, save yourself $14 and stay as far aways from "Remains" as you can. I don't know what Jeff Waters was thinking when he made that one.

Dio – Definitely buy "The Last in Line". Maybe Dio's best with Holy Diver very close. "Sacred Heart" is pretty good too. Beyond that, not much to rave about.

Megadeth – You have to get "Peace Sells...". "Youthanasia" is (in my opinion) a GREAT album. Those 2 (along with "Rust..") will give you all the Megadeth you need.

Slayer – If you like "Reign in Blood" get any of their others. They're all the same, basically.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
Pretty open minded? let's see how open minded you are :p:
Nevermore: The Politics Of Ecstasy, Dead Heart In A Dead World.QUOTE]

You can't forget to include "Dreaming Neon Black" when listing Nevermore albums. Hell, "Poison God Machine" is worth the price of the album alone. :)

Don't forget the soon-to-be-released debut from Circus Maximus. That's gonna rock! (if they stay true to their demo...)

More Malmsteen is a must.

Anybody ever hear of a band called Soak from NYC? I caught them opening for Malmsteen a long time ago and they were awesome. I picked up their EP and loved it. I bought their debut a little while later and was disappointed the edginess of their EP was watered down. Not much on the guitar front though, but I liked the band overall.

May I suggest some blues? SRV is a must, and Joe Bonamassa will rip your head off. Speaking of Smokin' Joe, Bloodline was an awesome collboration in the mid-'90s, and he never plays the same lick twice (not to mention he was only 16 at the time of the recording).

Dream Theater is a must, as others have said before me. And I'm very taken by "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess". That album is truly amazing.

Others to check out (some previously mentioned, others new to the list) would be Adagio, Ark, Artension, Ayreon, Dreamscape, Kamelot, Kotipelto, Magnitude 9, Sonata Arctica, Tad Morose, Threshold, and Vanden Plas.

ummm

definately Orphaned Land - Mabool
Evergrey - Recreation day
Jag Panzer - Mechanized Warfare
Angra - Temple of Shadows
Ayreon - Flight of the Migrator
u may also like Rhapsody, Deadsoul tribe, stratovarius, sonata arctica, at the gates, Iced Earth - something wicked this way comes/days of purgatory, demons and wizards (iced earth + Blind guardian), Pagans Mind, Mob Rules, Pain of salvation, Nightwish (maybe)...

i'll say what i say on every other thread like this one ...
all of Vivien Lalu's stuff, oniric metal especially
dreamscape
kalmah
arsis
alarum
dead soul tribe
sun caged.

Kronikle66 said:
Can someone explain to me a little bit about this album? I've heard a lot of good things about it.

-Kronikle

This is probably my favorite album ever, Rainbow is definatley my favorite band. This is the album that influences every power metal band and I am sure there are prog metal bands who have also been inspired by it. There are 2 epics on there and yes it is 2 parts. Stargazer and A light in the black...they were one of the first bands to sing about wizards and dragons in all that.

I do agree with Taliwakker when he said Dio was in his prime on this record but Blackmore(my favorite guitarist and idol) was not in my opinion. I actually think he is at his prime now, starting with Difficult to Cure he started writing his solos and riffs during the verses out better which I think improved Rainbow, Deep Purple and has had impact on Blackmore's Night.

Well, bottom line if you like Power Metal you need this album, If you like Prog Metal you need this album, If you like metal period you need this album.

Fun Fact: Blackmore played Cello on this album.

I'm not as up on a lot of the stuff everyone else puts up, but I must that Angra have really grabbed me. From the first listen of Temple of Shadows, I was hooked. Since then, I've been getting their back catalog. Rebirth is great. I was kind of blown away at the stark difference in the vocalist's tone. He's much darker on ToS.

Anyhow, other bands... I love Living Colour, Devin Townsend, Mastodon, Queensryche, A Perfect Circle, Audioslave, Badlands, Tool, Pantera, Extreme, early Judas Priest, King's X, Planet X, Racer X, Rush(of course), Sepultura, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Soundgarden, Tony MacAlpine... I have no idea if you'd like any of this stuff, but your list has stuff I like on it.

Vhaldemar - Fight Till The End
At Vance - Only Human
Twilight Guardians - Wasteland
Warmen - Beyond Abilities
Time Requiem - Inner Circle of Reality
Sinergy - Beware The Heavens or Suicide By My Side
Silent Force - Worlds Apart
Racer X - Second Heat
Luca Turilli - King Of The Nordic Twilight
Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy
Heavenly - Dust To Dust
Firewind - Burning Earth