'Convince me this band is good' challenge

Deathcore is "I can't believe it's not death metal". I've opened up to slam but deathcore is a road that still makes me cringe to be honest.

Deathcore isn't always terrible when it's incorporated into a brutal/technical death metal formula though.

But that's what made it so bad, they went straight deathcore with their sound, not brutal tech deathcore.

Deathcore is "I can't believe it's not death metal". I've opened up to slam but deathcore is a road that still makes me cringe to be honest.

Depends on the proportion and style for me. Deformity rules, I enjoy some Gulch and Despised Icon.

But that's what made it so bad, they went straight deathcore with their sound, not brutal tech deathcore.

For real? lmao.

Some of it is definitely based on personal bias just because I hated those kids in high school when it first started getting big.

I can at least appreciate stuff like Despised Icon and The Red Chord, I guess. Overall, not for me though.

It's hard to get over those kinds of biases, it took me a long time to come around to stuff like metalcore/screamo/emo (in the traditional sense, not the Avril Lavigne-tier shit that gets called these labels now) but now they're some of my favourite styles. Deathcore is easily the worst of all the -core styles and very few gems are to be found, but I don't mind if a band with an established style adds a bit of deathcore to the mix. Most times straight up deathcore sucks, especially after the boom when it got watered down.

Bands like Deformity made some of my favourite music around:

But if Cryptopsy went balls deep maybe I'll agree it sucks.

This doesn't really sound like deathcore to me. Almost like heavier skramz or something and I agree. The old independent screamo/emo/skramz/whatever type stuff is great. Been a while since I've listened to that kind of stuff.

I think crossover was called "metalcore" originally. That's how it should've stayed. I don't get what excessive breakdowns have to do with hardcore punk.

I think crossover was called "metalcore" originally. That's how it should've stayed.

Well crossover is just metal + hardcore which is what metalcore is, but as metal and hardcore both evolved, the mixture changed. That's why metalcore means so many different things from person to person or era to era. It's not that it didn't stay, it's that what it meant to mix metal and hardcore in 1986 is totally different to what it means to mix them in 1992, if you get me.

I don't get what excessive breakdowns have to do with hardcore punk.

"Excessive" is just a matter of choice, but breakdowns themselves are pretty obviously a hardcore thing.

Yeah, hardcore became a lot more breakdowny (for lack of a better way of putting it) in the 90s. I get the evolution but it still annoys me on some level.

Deathcore isn't always terrible when it's incorporated into a brutal/technical death metal formula though.
That's true, and my grandmother would genuinely agree with you, but I mean like Papa Roach can be brutal in their own right, I think people are quick to judge with labels but those guys pack a mighty punch.

That's true, and my grandmother would genuinely agree with you, but I mean like Papa Roach can be brutal in their own right, I think people are quick to judge with labels but those guys pack a mighty punch.
Someone+who+can+stand+in+fire+_11d58f0c55815d85e4a4b06f44df7383.jpg