Carcass - Heartwork!

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
Hey dudes, I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but saw some other ones like this so...

What gear was used on this fucking awesome album? Like what cabs, amps and that shit? And are there any amp sim's that can get close to this incredible guitar sound? Its been one of my best Carcass albums for ages now and I love the sound and playing on it :)

If anyone could help it would be awesome :headbang:

As I need some info on what they used and how to get a similar tone!

If this album doesn't remind people that overgaining guitars is the shiiiiit, I dunno what will.

Whoa, those two links have plenty about this album! Thanks dudes!

The guitar sound on this song is just so awesome! I mean it obviously has a lot of gain, but it sounds so good. I like sounds like Lamb Of God where there really isn't that much gain, but I LOVE sounds like Carcass got on this album!

Also, what do you think would be the best amp vst to get a similar sound with? I was thinking maybe 7170 or TSX X30... But I'm not sure.

There was a clip that got posted up here a while ago that got pretty close. It might have been Steven that posted it, I'll ask him next time he's about.

And I dunno man. 7170 would probably be my first port of call. Put a fairly wide, -2db cut at 900z, after the amp and cab simulation and stuff and THEN dial in your mids on the amp sim. I've found Nick Crow's amp sims to have a weird honk about them even if the mids knob is turned right down. A little cut right there helps you judge shit better. Turn the mids knob up until it starts honking out a bit, then back it off a little.
It's not the amp sim you use so much as the approach you use.
Ryan's fredman impulses would probably be best for this. Quad track, too.

I noticed that about the Nick Crow amp sims, that damn honky mid sound they sometimes get. I always like to quad track, but have been cutting down on it recently because everything I was doing was sounding like muddy shit, now it just sounds like shit!

What one of Ryan's impulses would be best? I found that some of them fuck up the sound while some of them make it sound sick.

just drop s-pres high on there and you should be pretty i think man.
this albums guitar sound is really smooth and creamy and thick so that impulse should get you on your way. but short of using some loud ass marshalls and getting colin richardson in you're never gonna truly nail the sound.

This disc is so legendary in every way, I feel nostalgic listening to it cuz it was one of the first DM records I bought, when it first came out in 93/94. Everything about it is great: production, song writing, playing, lyrics. I know its the first "non traditional" Carcass album, but it is metal perfection...whereas Swansong was simply "meh". As far as tone, the guitars on that disc still stand the test of time compared to today's ultra-processed and polished guitar work.

^ I can't personally proclaim to have been really around in their heyday (I was only 2 in 1993, so whatevs.) But this album (and many from the 90's) is a testament to how fucking awesome the 90's were.
Awesome musicians, great mixes that are polished but not OVER-polished, loud but not too loud, and fantastic music in pretty much every genre.

^ I can't personally proclaim to have been really around in their heyday (I was only 2 in 1993, so whatevs.) But this album (and many from the 90's) is a testament to how fucking awesome the 90's were.

I dunno man, I was around during those times and I remember Heartwork got absolutely slated. And there was good reason too. I was a Carcass fanatic (seen em on the Necroticism tour) and as soon as I heard the opening riffs to Buried Dreams and no Bill Steer on vocals, I and a lot of my friends were sooooo disappointed, even to the point that some of my friends felt betrayed lol . Eventually the album grew on me and now I would say that it is THE essential Carcass album. Love the production and the guitar tone. But trust me, the nineties degenerated into crap. In the late nineties a lot of metal bands pursued the gothic route (Kreator), industrial (Morgoth, Paradise Lost to an extent) or just plain utter shit (Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax) and some bands just gave up (Exodus, Seputura). Some great music between 90-93, especially the rise of the Death Metal scene and the birth of the second wave of Black Metal but grunge killed Mainstream metal and Thrash. The only band I remember being relevant and successful in the 90's was Pantera.

I know I went a bit off topic but that quote above got me thinking:OMG: Heartwork rules:kickass:
Anybody get the re-issue with the demos and the documentary. The demo sounds so more aggressive than the album. Essential.

Awesome musicians, great mixes that are polished but not OVER-polished, loud but not too loud, and fantastic music in pretty much every genre.

You're only 18, dude?

I mean, obviously there's such a thing as too much gain, I just can't stand the sound of palm mutes that have no sustain :cry:

I used to be one of the "less gainz" people and "moar midz".
Coming to the Sneap forum made me realize too much mids sounds like donkey's ass.
Really I don't see the point of under gaining anymore, you just make it unnecessarily difficult to play your guitar. When it's easier to play, you feel more inspired and put on a better performance anyway, so I'm all for having healthy amounts of gain.