Cellador In Chicago!

Jasonic said:
What DragonForce song?

My Bad! I take that back! When I heard "No Chances Lost", I thought it was a DragonForce cover, as it did sound a lot like a typical DragonForce song. I went back and checked my DragonForce catalog, and found out that particular track was indeed a Cellador original. However, they did indeed play that one Helloween cover.

eaeolian said:
Considering the level of promotion - and the fact that Engage was the only local with any draw - it was a better turnout at Jaxx than I expected, actually, and at least everyone was into it. Nice guys, and a really good show - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You are correct. This show was not exactly promoted to the masses, and with only two other bands that night (with Engage being the only other real draw - although those guys from Tugnut, though I did not particulary care for thier sound, where really cool guys as well), it actually was nice to see the turn out that was there. Still would've been nice to see more of a turn out. Also, you are right that at least everyone was into it. I was talking with members of Cellador afterwards and told them I kinda felt bad there was not a bigger turn out for them. I think it was Mike (the vocalist) that basically told me something along the lines of that "I'd be happy to play to just 10 to 15 folks if they are really into it instead of 200 that are not".

Somebody else mentioned the short set. I was kinda surprised when it ended and did have somewhat of that "is that it?" feeling. The whole thing was over by 11! Ended up hanging out with the band until like 2:30 in the morning, though (they were the ones that invited me to hang out with them)! Those guys are friggan something else. I do hope they make it back this way, and from Chris (One of the guitarists) told me, they definitly want to come back to Jaxx! Those of us in the local area almost take's Jaxx for granted, but it sounds like many folks farther away thinks it is The Place to go see metal acts. Those guys from Cellador sure were proud of themselves to finally get to play Jaxx! I can definitly tell Chris was all excited about it.

I wish these guys much luck and success in the future - they deserve it. Maybe a future ProgPower showing?

EDIT: Here are three pictures from that show at Jaxx:

IMG_1253Medium.jpg

Vocalist Mike belt it out.

IMG_1270Medium.jpg

The two guitarists and one bassist jamming it out

IMG_1274Medium.jpg

Group shot with members of both Cellador and Engage as well as some of my friends. That is me near the center with the light-blue shirt behind the two chicks (and the big grin).

Squeak said:
Chris just told me now that they did do Eagle Fly Free in NY and then most of their CD.

I just read through here and was wondering about the cover confusion and re-read my post. LOL. Sorry, we were comparing covers of the song at about 2am after the show and I wrote the wrong band. Thanks for the correction, Squeak. Another reminder against posting late at night....early in the morning. :lol:

to me, cellador are just the worst representation of power metal. Everything is mind numblingly generic too me, I can predict everything measures before they even play it. The riffs are just flat out dull and uninspired. It sounds like helloween sleepwalking. I am a huge power metal nerd and am very forgiving, but I really dislike this band, and think the biggest key to their success is myspace, not actual talent.

Entropiastrife said:
to me, cellador are just the worst representation of power metal. Everything is mind numblingly generic too me, I can predict everything measures before they even play it. The riffs are just flat out dull and uninspired. It sounds like helloween sleepwalking. I am a huge power metal nerd and am very forgiving, but I really dislike this band, and think the biggest key to their success is myspace, not actual talent.

Funny, I say similar things about the band they're so often compared to, DragonForce. I like Cellador because I think the songwriting's pretty good, I like Mike's voice, and there's a - for lack of a better word - "honesty" that comes across in the music that most of the "by the numbers" power metal bands I hear don't seem to have. (I'm NOT a huge "Power Metal nerd", and only a small number of the bands click with me. They just happen to be one of them.) I also enjoyed the fact that - other than the very-obviously triggered kick drums - there was no sequencing or "hidden" keyboardist - just five guys playing music, and when they didn't get back to the mikes for vocals, they weren't there. ;)

eaeolian said:
Funny, I say similar things about the band they're so often compared to, DragonForce. I like Cellador because I think the songwriting's pretty good, I like Mike's voice, and there's a - for lack of a better word - "honesty" that comes across in the music that most of the "by the numbers" power metal bands I hear don't seem to have. (I'm NOT a huge "Power Metal nerd", and only a small number of the bands click with me. They just happen to be one of them.) I also enjoyed the fact that - other than the very-obviously triggered kick drums - there was no sequencing or "hidden" keyboardist - just five guys playing music, and when they didn't get back to the mikes for vocals, they weren't there. ;)

I have to agree with this. After talking at length with the band, I can tell that these guys just simply want to play music and have a good time with it. I also happen to like Mike's voice plus they did put on a very solid performance. I don't think they are a bad representation of power metal either, and in fact, I think they seem to be one of the better ones out there.

After all, isn't that the whole point of it - everybody just out having a good time, on both sides of the stage railing?