NOCTURNAL RITES Complete Chicago Powerfest 2006 Lineup!

Ralf Walter

Oct 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
-------------
NOCTURNAL RITES Complete Chicago Powerfest 2006 Lineup!
In support of their new album "Grand Illusion", Sweden's NOCTURNAL RITES will be making their first ever US appearance at Chicago Powerfest 2006 as part of a special co-headlining performance with fellow Swedish metal veterans, MORGANA LEFAY.
Tickets go on sale Wednesday, February 1st. Additional ticket and event information to be announced early next week.
As previously reported, Chicago Powerfest, the fourth annual metal fest featuring both veteran and up-and-coming bands from various sub-genres of metal, will take place on Friday, April 7 and Saturday, April 8 at Mr. Kelley's Music Box (18+ event) in Chicago Heights, IL. Also scheduled to appear at the festival are ELDRITCH, BIOMECHANICAL, AGENT STEEL, ION VEIN, TWELFTH GATE, GRACEPOINT, MIRROR BLACK and WITHERING SOUL.
For more information, visit www.ChicagoPowerfest.com & www.myspace.com/chicagopowerfest

4-String Annihilation said:
Which festival is better? I've never been to either. If you had the money to go to one which would it be?

It really depends on what bands you want to see. I personally think that Progpower is better.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
Well I guess this rules them out for Progpower. Good thing I will be at both this year.

I really hope this isn't the case. I'm still holding on to slim hope that the rule that was broken was the US Debut, and NR informed Glenn that they will play Progpower but are also doing Powerfest! Honestly there isn't much appeal to me in Powerfest. I like Morgana Lefay, and Biomechanical somewhat, but the rest of the lineup ... :zzz:

The lineup looked great before the announcement of a returning Morgana Lefay. Then I started to consider going this year. Now Nocturnal Rites announced, I think it is now a MUST! Nocturnal Rites has always been a dream band to see live (much like Edguy and Angra were :)), I was not expecting to see their logo on the Powerfest website. Too bad it wasn't 18 and up last year, when I was crying over not being 21, haha! At least I had turned 21 just in time for PP last year! Hoorayyy for good US Metal festivals!

Unfortuantly, due to the new addition to the family, I'm not able to attend this year... and I'm fairly bummed that I'm missing a really good line-up as it is - and - Rob mentioned that I'd be REALLY pissed that I'm not going when the final band was announced...
Your right Rob... I'm PISSED!!!! :yell: :hotjump:

Good job getting these guys, they are AMAZING, and I've been wanting to see them live for along time! Their new album is one of their best!

(banging his head the desk in frustration)

\m/
Dustin

YES!!!!! I am completely psyched now!! Henry and I will be there.....I've been waiting a long time to see Nocturnal Rites! :headbang:

Dustin....we will really miss you guys....hope you are all well!

Which festival is better? I've never been to either. If you had the money to go to one which would it be?

I hope this helps:

ProgPower tends to have more melodic acts, which are more specific to the prog and power metal genres (with the occasional oddball band)... whereas Powerfest runs the gamut from prog to power to thrash to death to doom metal, and generally features heavier bands than ProgPower.

Personally, I prefer the Powerfest lineup, because 1) I get bored easily with standard euro power metal and the stuff that "sells" in this genre, 2) bands laden heavily with keyboards (such as Stride) generally annoy me, and 3) I tend to prefer the darker, heavier stuff to the more melodic stuff. However, ProgPower is a higher-budget (and, thusly, more expensive) operation, but you get what you pay for, particularly in terms of service and atmosphere.

If you can possibly swing it, attend both! But if I could only make one, I'd probably go to Powerfest... for my money, they've had the best metal lineup EVER for two years straight. :)

I find Eldritch to be the real draw to Powerfest, perhaps for nostalgia reasons though. I can perfectly understand how someone having heard Eldritch's two '00s albums, they wouldn't be too imrpessed.

Perhaps, I'm getting old... but in the late '90s when the prog/power bands were a little more boomin' perhaps, Eldritch was the SHIZNITE of progressive metal alongisde Dream Theater for me. Albums like Headquake were simply where it was at.

Then Eldritch dropped from an A band to a B one, in my book, for their 2001 release, Reverse. I was like, "Say it ain't so." The latest Eldritch album, Portrain of the Abyss Within, tries to revert to the old ways a little, but without Oleg's keyboards its just too little too late.

Oleg Smirnoff's keyboards were the real draw for me; Eldritch without keyboards is kinda dry. Knowing my luck the band will ignore their first 3 masterpieces all together and play entirely from their latest two '00s albums which are pretty mediocre.

The Michael

I prefer Prog Power, but the ticket prices have been substantially cheaper for Powerfest. I think it was under $40 for a 2 day pass last year, as compared to a $130 for a Gold Badge. Prog Power's venue is top of the line , but Powerfest is stepping up a bit this year. I hope the ticket prices don't step way up now. I had just about as much fun at both festivals last year, so I'd recommend that people attend them both.

Britt