Cheap alternative to MD421

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
What are your suggestions for a cheap alternative to the MD421, but for guitar?

I've looked around the forum, but found suggestions for toms. You know, the usual combination SM57 + MD421 for guitars. is there a mic you'd say as a similar tonal character (supposing this is an expression that exists...) as the MD421?, but are not as expensive?

Where I live it's around 450$ and the couple of times I looked online, I haven't found used ones that were interesting.

Wow ok, never heard of them. After a quick google search, they are very cheap (as in, inexpensive) indeed.

Any downside to the mic, you know, since it is so cheap? Or it's one of those incredibly good deal

Not really any downsides, to me. It's just a really good bang for your buck microphone. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it is for being inexpensive.

BF521's are essentially the same mic as modern MD421 and they are often slightly more affordable (the only difference is they don't have the shitty high-pass filter that non one ever uses anyway). That being said, vintage MD421's (the grey ones) are incomparable in my opnion.