check it out, Canada

FuSoYa

Lunarian
Nov 9, 2001
Brooklyn
lifesci.ucsb.edu
I just read this on the Canada employment website:
Positions Exempt from Work Permits and HRSDC Labour Market Opinion

Foreign Workers who do not need a CIC work permit or an HRSDC labour market opinion include:
  • Producers of film, television, video and documentary projects funded entirely from outside of Canada;
  • Adjudicators at music and dance festivals;
  • Performing artists, their support crew, and other workers essential to the artistic performance. Examples of performing artists include :
    • Musicians in a band performing several tour dates in Canada;
    • Guest conductors and artists performing with Canadian productions or groups for a few performances;
    • Actors in foreign touring theatrical productions;
    • Professional wrestlers and circus performers in foreign touring productions;
    • Musicians and buskers coming to Canada to perform in festivals;
    • Support crew and other workers who are integral to a live production;
    • Disc jockeys coming to Canada to work at private events, festivals, concerts and fairs.
    SPECIAL CONDITIONS :

The performing artists listed above must not :
    • Perform in bars or restaurants;
    • Work on the production of a film, television, radio, or Internet broadcast;
    • Enter into an employment relationship with the Canadian organization contracting for their services.
    A work permit and a labour market opnion are required in these instances, and you need to follow the steps outlined in hiring Foreign Workers in film and entertainment in Canada.

This, sounds like it means that Kayo Dot can play in Canada any time as long as it's a gallery show, house show, or community hall or something. So we're about to set up our fall tour; what I would love to do is try to get a non-bar or restaurant show in Montreal for early September to see if we can get across the border under these provisions. We can play a few shows on the way up there and if we get turned back at least it's not too far a drive.

If this method works out, it would be cool to try to do a show in Victoria too when we're out in Seattle.

Can my Canadian friends on this board recommend a gallery, community hall, or other not-for-profit space in Montreal that would be able to handle a loud rock band and have not too outrageous a rental fee? I'm excited for this prospect!

Look at the first section--it says "a few" performances more than once. Does that mean you can't just do one, or is it just emphasizing that yes, even people who do more than one performance can be covered by this law?

Sala Rossa, is a concert hall and fits into that description, it run by Mauro of the GYBE and Casa del Popolo-fame. It is usually booked up to 3 months in advance so you know. www.casadelpopolo.com

I also told you this more than two years ago, sent you to the website but I guess you didn't believe me....

I am still happy :)

thanks simon, if it was more than two years ago i probably thought i wasn't ready for something like that at the time - how foolish, so much time wasted that could have been spent around canadians

It was some times after the release of Choir.

Ah, Canadians, once you've tried them, nothing else compares.

I am moving in a week so I will now have plenty of floorspace to host you guys...

BTW, I talked to Justin from Rivers and Mountains this weekend and he wasn't against the idea of playing with you guys as he wants the band to play a little more this year.

For your info, and everyone else. Rivers and Mountains is the latest Constellation/Alien 8-related collective that is a who's-who of the Montreal scene. They have been playing about once a year in the past three years but he wants to play more now.

62028465_9ab56f0668.jpg

I'm movin back to Vancouver in September after an 8 month hiatus in the bay area... I can do some legwork for y'all then. Victoria would be cool too, but like everything is hella expensive there. The damn place is like a realization of dawson's creek.

I realize I'm pretty late responding to this, but if you guys come to Victoria I can say without exaggeration that it will complete my life. Seriously.

Any progress with this idea?

I have been super busy and I still don't have internet access at home so I have not been very helpful. Sorry about that. Did you get the gig you asked for? Do you still want me to talk to the Mandatory Moustache guys? I can probably set something up myself if push comes to shove... let me know