Check out this band (sound files included)...

Dark One said:
That was their 8th album.

EDIT - Titled "Infinite" BTW.

Yea I meant Episode, and Im retarded, please pardon that Im not sure where my mind was. Visions and Episode are my favourites though. And I always forget about the first few where Timo Tolki sang, because those bastards never play anything from that era and basically deny its exsistence.

I think an appreciation for Stratovarius is completely dependant on when you got into them. It seems that those who enjoy their music, followed their career as it progressed. They were one of the few bands keeping Power Metal alive in the early 90s. So if you wanted Power Metal, you had very few options. However, in more recent years, the genre has exploded. And the number of bands who are vastly superior to Stratovarius is to numerous to count. I've gone back and tried to listen to those early to mid-career Stratovarius discs, and I just can't get into them at all.

And as far as good Power Metal goes, a few of lesser known bands that I think are fantastic include:

Tad Morose
Pyramaze
Brainstrom
Lanfear

Zod

Havent heard Lanfear, but I like the latest Pyramaze CD and Ive heard a few Brainstorm tracks that I liked.
I agree with you for the most part about Stratovarius. Given the state of power metal currently, I cant see them making too many new fans unless they release something drastically new and excellent (which I cant really see happening).

That was so rediculous when all of that happened. Timo posted pictures of himself covered in blood on the homepage, he kicked everyone out and they had some female singer for like 3 months when he was having psychotic visions. Then he found god, got fatter, and got the band back together. I think someone stabbed him in the arm with a box cutter at one point too.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
That was so rediculous when all of that happened. Timo posted pictures of himself covered in blood on the homepage, he kicked everyone out and they had some female singer for like 3 months when he was having psychotic visions. Then he found god, got fatter, and got the band back together. I think someone stabbed him in the arm with a box cutter at one point too.

Relive the whole clusterfuck here: http://www.lotfp.com/content.php?editorialid=53

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Havent heard Lanfear...
An aggressive blend of Power and Prog, with strong, distinct vocals. I'd highly recommend "The Art Effect".

En Vind Av Sorg said:
...but I like the latest Pyramaze CD and Ive heard a few Brainstorm tracks that I liked.
If you like the new one, definitely check out the debut, as it's the stronger of the two, in my opinion. As for Brainstorm, check out "Metus Mortis" is you want something heavier/thrashier, and check out "Soul Temptation" for something more melodic.

Zod

lizard said:
True, that...
double_true.jpg