Cheesiest Opeth lines

Annihilat0r

TRINITY WATCH IN AMAZING!
Jan 14, 2007
South of Heaven
OK, we all know lyrics aren't one of Opeth's strong points and rarely they can go beyond the usual "I am in shadows, a sultry despair bleak thing this is" metal stuff; but sometimes it's even worse than that.

So, what are your candidates for the cheesiest Opeth line?

Exclude the first two albums for they are full of them.

I go for "I can see you running thru the fields of sorrow"

Coil and Porcelain Heart are the absolute worst; Burden and the beginning of Hessian Peel are pretty cheesy too, so overall, lol @ Watershed lyrics.

Lyrics from Orchid aren't so much cheesy as completely absurd. (the twilight can't be a fucking robe, mike)

Still Life lyrics are based on a cheesy romantic concept so they have to be a little pretentious.

MAYH lyrics aren't really cheesy except in some cliche moments like the chorus of Demon of the Fall, but due to the artist trying to be overly poetic, they're pretty nonsensical sometimes.

damn guys! you should be literature critics...

I'm sure you can find more cheesy poetry in the lyrics YOU write, or in your letters to your girlfriends.

and....I think that you wouldn't like to be criticised by someone who knows so little about you and your feelings or motivations.

Respect. "Cheesy" is a words that shouldn't be part of the splendid rethoric and poetic vocabulary you use to criticise others.

Confirming the epitaph of my soul - makes me cringe everytime

Silent dance with death - made me laugh out loud when I first heard it

I hear the baying of the hounds
In the distance, I hear them devouring - Kinda dramatic

Anyway, not to sound like hardass, but I love all of these songs. That isn't to say that opeth doesn't have cheesy lines (almost all of the songs do), but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are serious songs that I think have awesome lyrics, and there are songs that I just take with a grain of salt (lyrically).

"rest your head now don't you cry, don't ever ask the reason why"

that makes me cringe.

Some of the really early lyrics off of Orchid and (to a lesser degree) Morningrise are (as someone has already said before me) a bit nonsensical but not necessarily cheesy. I think Watershed has more cheesy moments than most of their previous efforts from MAYH and on, but the fact that Mike is trying to make the lyrics a bit more personal make up for it a good bit.. I imagine that as he gets more practice writing lyrics in such a fashion we can probably expect some really good things to come out of Opeth lyrically in forthcoming albums though. =]

and....I think that you wouldn't like to be criticised by someone who knows so little about you and your feelings or motivations.

Respect. "Cheesy" is a words that shouldn't be part of the splendid rethoric and poetic vocabulary you use to criticise others.

oh, just get away

Credence : "Scream your sadness!"
When : "And I cried, I knew she had lied."
The Drapery Falls : "Please remedy my confusion"
Death Whispered A Lullaby : "Sleep my child"
To Rid the Disease : "I have lost all trust I had in you!"
Harlequin Forest : "Into the trees" "Searching the darkness and emptiness" "They are the trees"
Coil : [All the song]
Burden : "I, once upon a time, carried a burden inside" "There's an ocean of sorrow in you."
Hessian Peel : "Will the children cry when their mother dies?" "I see you my sweet Satan" "Why did you leave me?" "Seeking tenderness with a dagger (suppose it's the true lyrics)"

That's pretty much it. I don't think I need to justify anything above, but feel free to wonder why. I certainly have forgotten some. There are some lyrics that may sound cheesy, but in their context I just believe they are just fine. Opeth isn't pretentious in any way. I really really love the way this is all written and I sincerily believe the lyrics are a strong point.

shit, opeth's lyrics are just fine imo. its supposed to be dramatic when you sing about ghosts longing for their still mortal loves. this isnt something we should be criticizing. we know nothing of mikes musical thought process when it comes to lyrics and i dont find any of them overly pretentious or anything. porcelain heart and coil are great songs in their context, adding a deep atmosphere to the whole album. i even love listening to damnation and i think the lyrics are just fine. cheesy is just the wrong word when it comes to this sort of thing.

:lol:

Beat it.

Credence : "Scream your sadness!"
When : "And I cried, I knew she had lied."
The Drapery Falls : "Please remedy my confusion"
Death Whispered A Lullaby : "Sleep my child"
To Rid the Disease : "I have lost all trust I had in you!"
Harlequin Forest : "Into the trees" "Searching the darkness and emptiness" "They are the trees"
Coil : [All the song]
Burden : "I, once upon a time, carried a burden inside" "There's an ocean of sorrow in you."
Hessian Peel : "Will the children cry when their mother dies?" "I see you my sweet Satan" "Why did you leave me?" "Seeking tenderness with a dagger (suppose it's the true lyrics)"

I disagree with everything up until Harlequin Forest.

'Will the children cry, when their mother dies' is absolutely one of the most cringeworthy lines I've heard in non-pop music.