Chicago show...

rgbeach

Feb 11, 2002
Chicago
www.hexology.com
Holy Crap!!! Opeth put on an amazing show! The performance was flawless and, contrary what others have said about previous shows, they had excellent stage presence.

The only downside was Paradise Lost - how did these guys get to tour with Opeth? They're a good band, but a complete mismatch on music style. They would be better off touring with Third Eye Blind.

Anyways, Opeth was great. What's everyone else's opinion?

Bob

Bob you beat me by 10 minutes so I deleted my thread!! :)

Just got home from the show. Once again Opeth were absolutely spectacular!! Same setlist, but no complaints! HOB was once again packed to the gills. I don't why they always oversell this place.

I can't say enough about this band. The songs were played flawlessly, with the occasional broken string the only thing I could notice that went wrong. As in Cleveland, the energy level in this place was over the top with Mikael noticebly impressed with the crowd response. The sound was fantastic with everything audible in the mix. I'd have to say it was a bit better than Cleveland but not much. Martin's bass fluctuated a bit during a couple of tunes, but it was quickly fixed. Mikael's growls to me sounded even more brutal than Saturday. Might have been the hometown setting. Who knows?!

This was also my buddy Tom's first Opeth show and he was transfixed the entire time only occasionally glancing over in awe over these guys. We were all hanging out on the floor on the right side. I was wearing a Death Symbolic l/s. A friend of mine from the now defunct Chicago band LOTEC showed up on my recommendation alone having never even heard the music before. Opeth had a new fan on the way out. Watch the album sales soar after this gig! It was that fuckin' good!!

I thought they had great stage presence in Worcester. Likable, downright affable, classy, energetic. In terms of performance, like any band live, they rush here and there, but the music overall sounded fantastic.

Yeah it was a bit rushed during Deliverance. It seemed to me at least that Mikael was a little uneasy for the first few tunes. The crowd response after Deliverance rose a notch and Mikael I think fed off it. But who am I to say.

On a sidenote waited downstairs by the bus to meet 'em again only to realize that they were partying in the bar after getting majorly harassed by the security pricks. Forgot about that day off before Boulder. My friends had to work early in the morning so we didn't go back in the bar.

Oh well they were SO cool in Cleveland taking the time out to talk to each and every fan by the bus. Must have been about 25 of us. Got pics and everything.

Opeth fuckin' rules!! :headbang:

Yeah I was down there, not on my knees though! :lol: I had my glasses on for a bit. Kept taking them off. Can't stand the fuckin' things, but when talk of the pigs showing up started I had to keep my eyes pierced. I was with a guy with short red hair and a drunk loud chick - Jennifer takes no shit! :) I had my MAYH hoodie on that point. Lovely Chicago weather! I'm sure we could have met them if we headed back into HOB. But I wasn't driving, so...

my ass was there with a couple friends, i was right about dead center crowd where the pit was nonstop headbanging and sang every damn song....i enjoyed myself majorly.....they said they would be back soon after the new album comes out, so that'll be great!

i agree, great show. i was a little disappointed in the sound though...vocals had too much bass or something so it totally fuzzed when he sang clean. there were some kick ass parts that stood out to me at the time, but i can't remember them now haha...

GREAT SHOW! Paradise lost bored me to fucking tears, Tapping the Vein was quite impressive, and Opeth was absolutely flawless!

The guys were in perfect form last night!! To hear "Bleak" live is a true treasure, man! And was it just me of was "Demon" especially brutal?

I had a great time! The best part about the show starting at 6:30 was I got back home by 12:30. I was impressed with what I heard. This was my first Opeth show and I will definately come and see them again. Did anyone notice the security guards on either side of the stage? The crawled up onto a platform when the song got heavy to oversee the pit, but Opeth being Opeth, their music switches from heavy to acoustic, then back to heavy again in the course of 1 minute. The guards were climbing up on the stage, then when the acoustic part came, they would get down. Then, what do you know - another heavy part! Back on the stage. They had to be getting tired at the end of the show! :p

I was on the far right of the stage, by the speakers, wearing the Deliverance hoodie. I still can't hear the damn thing, but that doesn't matter, cause Opeth fucking rocked. I liked Paradise Lost's set, they're different in style, but they still kicked ass. I only wish they hadn't sold out of XL T-Shirts. I don't why everyone has been bitching about how much Tapping the Vein sucked, I didn't think they were bad, not my thing, but they didn't suck.

Hehe, did anyone else laugh when that guy shouted "Night and the Still Water?"

Oh, and Solitary Raven, I was standing almost right next to you, and didn't know it.

I was really impressed with Tapping the Vein...a lot better than PL, I thought.

I'll have to pick up that CD this weekend.

I was the idiot who kept screaming for "To Bid you Farewell," "April Ethereal," and that they were the saviors of metal.