Chicago was perfect.

Dee Snarl said:
Pssh, I saw Hate Eternal play for a good 5 hours once...

At least it seemed like it...:Smug:

They have 3 rather short albums to their name. So either they played cover songs the rest of the time, re-played their songs again and again, or you totally made that up.

Tumn said:
That same guy that growls after every song is at like every damn show in Chicago, I always see him and hear him. He is pretty annoying, but nothing we can do about it.

I remember there being more than one guy growling, but one of them happened to be right behind me midway through the show.

He kept growling "Opeth" before the encore, right in my fucking ear. His voice cracked when he growled the first time though and he couldn't really do it the next few times, which was what I was hoping for. Really pissed me off.

Oh, I am talking about the guy up in the balcony that was growling and Mike kept looking at him to do it again. That guy is there every metal show, no matter who it is doing the same thing. He's not always up there, usually in the pit though.

Mikael is such a much better frontman than he was when I first saw them. Not that he was terrible, but I think he's just gotten so much more comfortable with being on stage. He's super funny and he's interactive with the crowd. I was the guy who yelled "Skid Row" after he started playing "I Will Remember You." Apparently I'm a true cockrocker (even though I'm 23 and don't even like Skid Row). :lol:

Frankly, while the Chicago show was awesome, the crowd response wasn't nearly as good as it was in Milwaukee the next night. But the Chicago show was awesome, first time I'd ever been to the HoB and I had a blast.

Just happy to have heard The Night and the Silent Water. :worship:

great show. great setlist. shitty people. i was standing right behind the soundboard just like everyone else. i wish it was louder though, my ears werent even ringing afterwards

mircfool said:
great show. great setlist. shitty people. i was standing right behind the soundboard just like everyone else. i wish it was louder though, my ears werent even ringing afterwards

Yea, my ears weren't ringing later on either :erk: I was surprised.

I only noticed the setlist during demon of the fall, but it didn't matter because I already knew which songs they were going to play from the New Yorkers.

Vegetaman - "That was great when like after the first part of the show Mike looked up and said "holy shit, there's people up there"!"

That was so funny! I have to admit I was cracking up through most of what Mike was saying.

I've gotta ask because I don't go to many death metal concerts but are there always so many idiots there or is it just for Opeth? I went to an Opeth concert like 2 years ago and it was the same thing with people talking over Mikael and being really loud during inappropriate times :mad: Although last time there was a good mosh pit so that made up for it :headbang:

Lightning05 said:
Vegetaman - "That was great when like after the first part of the show Mike looked up and said "holy shit, there's people up there"!"

That was so funny! I have to admit I was cracking up through most of what Mike was saying.

Indeed, he was utterly hilarious all night! Especially all the "shut-ups" and "No, you're drunk" comments!

I don't know why there's always idiots at the show... But, it's not the true Opeth fans that act stupid, I believe. :Smokin:

I actually thought Mike was funnier in October than this time around.

Pate said:
I actually thought Mike was funnier in October than this time around.

Really? Maybe I just don't remember the show that well (other than "Bleak" which I recall vividly), but I thought he was really hilarious this time around.

The singing lesson was awesome last time around though...:headbang:

Ah, what a fantastic show. I just returned from Chicago this evening.

The 7 hour drive from London, Ontario, and yes I saw them in London too :), was well worth it. Amazing city, amazing venue, amazing band. I couldn't ask for better sound or a better view. This being my 8th Opeth show, I have to say it was the best one. This should tie me over until the next tour :).

i was lucky enough to go to the new york gig and the chicago gig and i have to say the chicago gig looked and sounded better in fact it was fking stunning

And because i have an intrest in such things thought the chicago gig was also lit better- i tried to talk to the lighting guy but he had a hell of a twang think he was australian and didnt understand what he was saying at all -- does anyone know was he also doing the visuals and how ?

The screen was a nice touch, for sure. And I agree about the lighting. It was tastefully done to comply with the music.

I recall a post about an Opeth gig at the HoB during the Deliverance tour. Someone wrote that HoB in Chicago is THE place to see Opeth. I could not agree more.

Manes said:
The screen was a nice touch, for sure. And I agree about the lighting. It was tastefully done to comply with the music.

I recall a post about an Opeth gig at the HoB during the Deliverance tour. Someone wrote that HoB in Chicago is THE place to see Opeth. I could not agree more.

i actually liked this venue less than the other 2 places ive seen them...