Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?

(snip)

and the drums rule (ESPECIALLY the snare, it's extremely awesomely raw, probably owing to the very natural ring on it from being undampened,

(snip)

"Natural" ring, eh? It's been awhile since I last heard the album, but IIRC it had that Mikko Karmila sound all over it, especially the snare. And it's a sample that gives that decay/ring (IMO). Yeah, it's great, but you sure can hear it from a far! :)

Y'know I've always wondered how to get that Nickelback-esque ring/decay into my snares. Looks like starting to blend a decay sample will be the go...

Umm, to stay on topic, well, I kinda haven't cared about Bodom since Follow the Reaper. Ever since they started doing those generic heavy metal riffs their music has blandified exponentially and they lost all allure they had for me.

The only thing I'd caution against, Ermin, is being sure it fits well and doesn't get distracting and irritating (I'm pretty sure it's a tuning issue that always pisses me off, like the aforementioned Portnoy snare, as well as the snare on Breaking Benjamin's "Blow me Away" - which I only have because it's on the Halo 2 OST ;))

Y'know I've always wondered how to get that Nickelback-esque ring/decay into my snares. Looks like starting to blend a decay sample will be the go...

Umm, to stay on topic, well, I kinda haven't cared about Bodom since Follow the Reaper. Ever since they started doing those generic heavy metal riffs their music has blandified exponentially and they lost all allure they had for me.

+1

Or as my buddy once said, they started to suck right when they decided to stop ripping of Mozart and the other greats.

Their live show suffered alot in the last few years too IMO, too much "fucking motherfuckers, fuck this fuck that, fuckity fuckfuck"

ah well, the 14 year olds love it it seems...

Hey I love old Bodom and hate immaturity, but "In Your Face" is an awesome song even if the lyrics are retarded - those riffs groove so hard, and I like that it's not all horrible neo-classical wankery (don't get me wrong, I love Hatebreeder, but I prefer FtR cuz there's no EXTREME neo-classical stuff like the very end of the song "Hatebreeder" or harpsichord parts or anything :ill: )

Ack, I'm actually really not a fan of HCDR - in fact, I'd say as a whole it's my least favorite besides Blooddrunk :ill: