FINALLY!!! Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet? (Paperback)

It's not a lot of work if I do it over time. I have NEVER used a scanner before and thats the real problem, but we do have one so I will learn to use it tomorrow night (getting late now).

haha I meant that I will scan one of those 3 songs, whichever one the dudes from Cherry lane music tabbed the worst. Not the tab thread (which is tabbed AWESOMELY! might I add)

Are you sure they used Mitch's tab for Blooddrunk? How did you figure it out?

Somebody post a scna of the tab (from GW or sth.) and we've compared it with Mitch's tab - it was the same.

Okay I have scanned IYWPPFW and Living Dead Best aswell as that cool part of Next In Line you wanted. I dunno how good scans are meant to be but mine is readable. The pages in the book are bigger than A4 so the edges aren't on but all the tab is. I dunno how I am supposed to send this so I am going to sign up to send space or whatever everyone else is using and then see what I can do

EDIT: Just found out I can't upload folders containing 17 pictures that are the tab pages. I am gonna try and make a PDF somehow. Wish me luck....

EDIT: I have been pasting copies of the pages, resizing to full page then making the whole tab in Microsoft Word, when im done I will save as a PDF (which works, I tested), just found out I missed pages 12 & 13 of the LDB tab so now I gotta go scan them, add them to the word doc then make the PDF then start on IYWPPFW and hope I didn't balls that one up

EDIT: I FINALLY got it into a PDF. Microsoft Word is horrible to do it, every page is a picture that moves with the line thing (when you hit enter, back space). This has taken me the best of 1 and a half hours to do and I still got IYWPPFW. If that song goes well (hopefully all pages were scanned and none stuck together, microsoft word works with me instead of against me) I will maybe do more. If this one takes as long as LDB I don't think I can do anymore. LDB File is uploading to sendspace now

EDIT: http://www.sendspace.com/file/fztpq0 someone please tell me it works! I am tired and will have to do the IYWPPFR tomorrow but I can do the 2 page bit of Next In Line now

EDIT: Here is the cool interlude bit of Next In Line (1:45) http://www.sendspace.com/file/llwkfs like I said ITWPPFR tomorrow. Between scans, sending files between computers, ordering pages, lagging computers (program non-responding), rotating pictures, making PDF in Microsoft Word, Text Wrapping (ah!) and pages sticking together/fucking stuff up I just can't take anymore for today and will do the tab tomorrow. Sorry again :(

Thx for the scans!

Well, I can't really say alot about the Next In Line thing cause I also don't know how to play it but the last 2 whammy bar notes are definitely wrong.

Living Dead Beat: It's definitely a better tab than those on UG but it contains a lot of wrong harmony parts, some notes are wrong, some harmonics are wrong and the fingering is wrong in some places especially the leads! All lead parts are so hard to play with their fingering.

Compare it with my tab and you will see what I mean.

So all in all... I think this book is good for fanbois but if you really want to learn their songs you'd better be with the tabs in Tab Thread.

So all in all... I think this book is good for fanbois but if you really want to learn their songs you'd better be with the tabs in Tab Thread.

I think that book is the most useful when compared to internet- or printed stuff..

Like Living dead beat's synthesizer solo, you can't find it Internet? Or can you.. And if you find it, is it correct? Umm, I can say that the guitarpro file for song called Smile pretty for the devil was like 95% correct, but the other songs which i've needed(or need, don't know how to say it) wasn't that correct.

So, I mean that, if you play these Aydy songs, that is pretty goddamn useful, and every song has almost all notes correct (at least these two songs which was scanned , btw THANKS!). Compared to that when you open every single file with Guitar pro and scroll and scroll and scroll with ur mouse, or print everyone of these songs (it's pretty no-useful btw, and hard to PRINT because of some reasons) and of course you need to stamp these all pages together or you'll be picking these from your floor.

Oh, and the book has LYRICS!! My god.. awesome.

Yeah, the book is better for pianists but not for guitar players. Guitar pro is awesome for guitarists!
And about the tabs... I bet taht every single tab on first page in the Tab Thread is more accurate then every tab in this book. See, I've checked the scans with the tabs on first page and those ARE definitely more correct. I won't say that this book is good cause it contains a lot of mistakes. So - for guitar players - it'S crap. And the lyrics are not the official lyrics.

I think that book is the most useful when compared to internet- or printed stuff..

Like Living dead beat's synthesizer solo, you can't find it Internet? Or can you.. And if you find it, is it correct? Umm, I can say that the guitarpro file for song called Smile pretty for the devil was like 95% correct, but the other songs which i've needed(or need, don't know how to say it) wasn't that correct.

So, I mean that, if you play these Aydy songs, that is pretty goddamn useful, and every song has almost all notes correct (at least these two songs which was scanned , btw THANKS!). Compared to that when you open every single file with Guitar pro and scroll and scroll and scroll with ur mouse, or print everyone of these songs (it's pretty no-useful btw, and hard to PRINT because of some reasons) and of course you need to stamp these all pages together or you'll be picking these from your floor.

Oh, and the book has LYRICS!! My god.. awesome.

I transcribed the Living Dead Beat keyboard solo 3 years ago and it's in the first post of my Tab Thread. And yes, it's accurate.

I can agree it's easier to have a book than to print out 400 pages off the internet or GP4, but if there are errors, then it's not totally worth it.

Thanks for the scans, Rayza, it was awesome of you to do that, I'd look forward to seeing anything else you do so I can check it out.

I transcribed the Living Dead Beat keyboard solo 3 years ago and it's in the first post of my Tab Thread. And yes, it's accurate.

I can agree it's easier to have a book than to print out 400 pages off the internet or GP4, but if there are errors, then it's not totally worth it.

Thanks for the scans, Rayza, it was awesome of you to do that, I'd look forward to seeing anything else you do so I can check it out.

Well I have decided I am using this TAB thread for my tabs still, the book has failed. I need to get some use out of it and I have learnt how to make the PDF and all so I can do a song if you'd like. I will still do the IYWPPFW one now, but if you have a request send me a message. Only thing is I don't really see the point in adding any more after IYWPPFW because the tabs are wrong anyway

EDIT: Here is the IYWPPFR tab http://www.sendspace.com/file/f36wpv Enjoy!

A few comments back (in response to hellhounds) I said I was gonna send an email to Cherry Lane Music asking what "Artist Approved" means. Here it is (I worded it horribly, late night + tired = horrible email):

have just purchased a copy of your Children Of Bodom, Are You Dead Yet? Paperback, Play it like it is GUITAR music tablature book.

The book itself has been advertised as "Artist-Approved" (Artist-approved notes and tab for all 10 tunes) which I do not understand. What exactly is meant by "Artist-Approved"? I thought it could've meant the guitar tablature/music in this book as well as the lyrics (because this is a Guitar.Vocal book) is approved by the Artist (Children Of Bodom) to be correct? I don't know if this is some kind of joke but the guitar tablature and lyrics in this book are far from correct.

I bought this book so I could play along to my favorite CD knowing that I have proper official music for the songs instead of unofficial internet music tablature. Right now I would prefer the unofficial internet music tablature because this book is horribly wrong. I have seen video guitar lessons from the artist Children Of Bodom that show them playing differently from what is written in this book.

I will not use this book because it is a load of crap which should never have been published in the first place. My only question is: What is "Artist-Approved"? I still do not understand what exactly it means because if it means the artist has approved of this tablature and lyrics in this book to be correct (which I highly doubt they have even seen this book) than you are lying.

Very unsatisfied customer

Anyways I got a response and this is a pretty decent customer service email. It explains a lot in my opinion

We work with the publishers of the songs, in this case, in both Europe and the U.S. We ask for approved lyrics and where they can not provide them to us ( as was the case here ) we do the best we can by ear and using the Internet. We do the guitar transcriptions, and have been doing them with the best guys in the biz, since the mid-80s, working with the crew of people that did Guitar For the Praciticing Musician Magazine. Now of course we can also use videos to help locate hand positions. When we get everything together we give it to the band's managers and/or publishers and await their corrections or approval before we make the book. After we get the thumbs up from the band or its representatives we go to print. Based on your letter I had our head editor work from Alexi video and our transcriptions to doublecheck and he said the video provised bits and pieces of songs, not whole songs. But that based on what he saw against the music that we transcribed he felt we were in good shape.

We want to get it right and so when a concerned fan tells us we got it wrong, we need to know about it so we can possibly make changes in the next printing. Please give us specific areas where things need to be changed so we can look into it.

Best Regards,

js

I can't believe they couldn't get offical lyrics in. And from what he said COB management let this thing go through. Are we to blame them for the sloppyness and not Cherry lane? Ofcourse you can't say anything bad about COB cus COB management looked at it, not Bodom (well it says management are in charge of it and ask the band if they need to). From what the email says they got the a okay from COB management.

He said please give us specific areas where its wrong. Do you think it's worth it? I mean I can't pick out lots of mistakes but I can do a few like the Punch Me I Bleed pre solo and some bits in other songs. Is it worth correcting this book or even a few bits of songs? I didn't trust it from what I picked up was wrong and asked you guys and you said use the tab thread cus the book is too unaccurate. Any opinions?

Well, at first I have to say that it's pretty cool that you recived an answer so fast. Now it's bad to hear that they do the same thing as we - only worse. I don't know how they tab songs but I guess they just listen to them without any background investigations like we do (watching live vids, listening to booklets, slow down songs etc.). I'm surprised that they gave you a serious answer instead of a 'no u!' answer.
Well, I think you should redirect them to the first page of the Tab Thread or maybe send them a few gp prints of bits which are really horrible to show them how good our work is. I don't think that they will ever use help from us but it can't be bad ( I bet they also use gp so it shouldn't be a problem for them to use our gp tabs which makes it a bit easier for you).

But an advice for you: Don't write any sentences like this: "I have seen video guitar lessons from the artist Children Of Bodom that show them playing differently from what is written in this book." Because most of what you see in instructional videos hasn't anything to do with what they play on the album version. The Are you dead yet? video was really helpfull but I think it was the only instructional video of COB I've ever seen where they really showed us what they really played on the album version.

But before you send them any tabs from us we should be REALLY sure that they are 100% ACCURATE - nothing could be more embarrassing then wrong corrections. So I would say that we pic whole songs or pieces of songs were a few the best tabbers from this board (like Mitch, Fret and me) go over them again because I think that no tab on the tab thread is 100% accurate

So it is not artist approved. Alexi didn't even see it, unless I got something wrong? They used the fucking internet to get the lyrics. FAIL.

220018015467.jpg

And if anyone of these heroes is reading this: Maybe it would be better to wait until you get the real material before releasing this because this will be around forever. If you release something that's supposed to be official, then fucking make sure it is official!! And I mean everything: the keyboard parts, ask Janne to tab them for you because he alone in this universe knows what he's playing, then the guitars - and if it's not possible then at least use the best tabs that are on this forum, then the lyrics, no-one knows the real lyrics except Alexi and even he doesn't know half of them!

This is not a marketing school project, this is Children Of Bodom, before you mess with it you need to acclimatize yourself to the reality that this music is like a religion to a lot of folks out there.

To be honest it was what we all expected,they took the lyrics from the net,alexi didn't even look at it,full of mistakes,tabbed
by a "the best of the business" who probably were not even familiar with alexi's playing/soloing style before they started tabbing.

Compare this too the Emperor tab book which was transcribed by Isahn himself so its 100% correct

Well, at first I have to say that it's pretty cool that you recived an answer so fast. Now it's bad to hear that they do the same thing as we - only worse. I don't know how they tab songs but I guess they just listen to them without any background investigations like we do (watching live vids, listening to booklets, slow down songs etc.). I'm surprised that they gave you a serious answer instead of a 'no u!' answer.
Well, I think you should redirect them to the first page of the Tab Thread or maybe send them a few gp prints of bits which are really horrible to show them how good our work is. I don't think that they will ever use help from us but it can't be bad ( I bet they also use gp so it shouldn't be a problem for them to use our gp tabs which makes it a bit easier for you).

But an advice for you: Don't write any sentences like this: "I have seen video guitar lessons from the artist Children Of Bodom that show them playing differently from what is written in this book." Because most of what you see in instructional videos hasn't anything to do with what they play on the album version. The Are you dead yet? video was really helpfull but I think it was the only instructional video of COB I've ever seen where they really showed us what they really played on the album version.

But before you send them any tabs from us we should be REALLY sure that they are 100% ACCURATE - nothing could be more embarrassing then wrong corrections. So I would say that we pic whole songs or pieces of songs were a few the best tabbers from this board (like Mitch, Fret and me) go over them again because I think that no tab on the tab thread is 100% accurate

Okay well I am gonna scan some more tab then. the bit I know is wrong which really made me send the email was the pre solo in PMIB. I showed before how wrong the positioning was and the Rockhouse Method DVD shows him playing it differently to the book.

I will scan Punch Me I Bleed and Trashed, Lost & Strungout. If you don't mind taking a look at Trashed because I am pretty sure the opening riff and the verse is wrong and the version on the tab thread seems to be better. Problem is we don't have any proof to back that up like we do on the PMIB part.

Is it worth correcting the AYDY part where they say it goes 3-0-0-0-0 because you can see alexi hit the 2 in the video

I will send the link with the tab thread aswell and check the book a little bit for the kind of mistakes that made me not trust the book. I think the In Your Face solo is wrong aswell and Alexi does the In Your Face solo on his Rockhouse DVD so maybe that can be brought up too.

Did you pick up any mistakes in LDB and IYWPPFR?

The AYDY is 3-0-2-2-0, yes. The LDB and IYWP.. tabs contains mistakes too. But because of the Rockhouse DVD - don't use this as a correct basic for tabs. Alexi plays every single solo in another way on the DVD as he played it on the album! Just compare the BBT Rockhouse thing with the album solo... He is and was never a good teacher cause he can't play his own stuff on those instructional DVD's

The AYDY is 3-0-2-2-0, yes. The LDB and IYWP.. tabs contains mistakes too. But because of the Rockhouse DVD - don't use this as a correct basic for tabs. Alexi plays every single solo in another way on the DVD as he played it on the album! Just compare the BBT Rockhouse thing with the album solo... He is and was never a good teacher cause he can't play his own stuff on those instructional DVD's

Yeah so steer clear of the solos, what about the riffs like in Punch Me I Bleed? In the song In Your Face they say to do this bit
-------------------
-------------------
--------------4-7--
----------3-6------
------2-5----------
--6/5--------------

like this

-------------------
----------------3--
------------1-4---
----------3--------
------2-5----------
--6/5--------------

There is video of Alexi doing that the first way which he definately recorded like that on album version. They said send us corrections so I am thinking of gathering stuff like that up. I think they tabbed the intro to Trashed wrong aswell and there is video of him playing that intro on the Rockhouse DVD so I got 3 things there + the AYDY 3-0-2-2-0

I am just so annoyed because this book was supposed to be perfect and I am no pro but I can pick up those things, I don't even know if the solos are any good. Earlier today I used your guys ADK tab to correct me playing the solo. It is so much easier that I know how its done now

They did say send us corrections, so I will get some

So I downloaded the Living Dead Beat scan from this thread (thanks to Rayza) and compared it to the one from the Tabs thread...it hasn't many mistakes, most of them is wrong positioning...do you still think that the tab thread is better cause i'm thinking od buying the book because looking from the pc screen and having the guitars seperated is a little incovenient for me...(no offence I love your work on the tab thread you guys are doing a great job!!!-I'm just asking a question....)

So I downloaded the Living Dead Beat scan from this thread (thanks to Rayza) and compared it to the one from the Tabs thread...it hasn't many mistakes, most of them is wrong positioning...do you still think that the tab thread is better cause i'm thinking od buying the book because looking from the pc screen and having the guitars seperated is a little incovenient for me...(no offence I love your work on the tab thread you guys are doing a great job!!!-I'm just asking a question....)

Maybe you could buy the book, then write the corrections in pencil over the top?

And yes, our positioning is as accurate as possible, especially with the help of live DVD's and other bootlegged video footage. If there's anything you're unsatisfied with, feel free to 'report' it in the Tab Thread and we will be happy to revise the tab.