The first real Are You Dead Yet? -review

imo the solos on the album are pretty fucking weak, living deadbeat and tls and in your face i know off hand use pretty much exactly the same technique in parts of it. they're just not unique or cool at all. plus they're all 100 times easier than the songs on hb or ftr or hcdr. i tried tabbing some of the songs and i actually got a fair ammount of it, when i tried tabbing some stuff off hatebreeder and something wild i could get almost none of it even though thats not realy on topic with the solos, more on the songs difficulty level

Enemy242 said:
imo the solos on the album are pretty fucking weak, living deadbeat and tls and in your face i know off hand use pretty much exactly the same technique in parts of it. they're just not unique or cool at all. plus they're all 100 times easier than the songs on hb or ftr or hcdr. i tried tabbing some of the songs and i actually got a fair ammount of it, when i tried tabbing some stuff off hatebreeder and something wild i could get almost none of it even though thats not realy on topic with the solos, more on the songs difficulty level

Who gives a rat's ass about technical playing. Last time I checked, I listened to music because I liked it. I don't even play any instruments and I don't give a crap about ever playing any instruments. I think the majority of the solos on the cd are kick ass.

The Don said:
I agree with COBSteele. I am REALLY enjoying this album while most are just bitching about the thrashiness. As for the solos, I think Punch Me, I Bleed is one of the most memorable solos in their whole discog. It's not the most technical by any means and it's really short, but what sticks with me IS the epic, killer melody line in it. And Bodom0311, the IYF solo is the shittiest on the CD. Why would you even reference that comparison? The solos in We're Not Gonna Fall and Next In Line are nice, listen to those.
punch me i bleed is a good solo ill give you that one...living dead beat and were not gonna fall are good solos, but really it still just sounds like improvised shredding where as downfall had really cool melodic classical lines thrown in which made it really epic sounding

BoDoM0311 said:
punch me i bleed is a good solo ill give you that one...living dead beat and were not gonna fall are good solos, but really it still just sounds like improvised shredding where as downfall had really cool melodic classical lines thrown in which made it really epic sounding
Hey I know how you feel. That's what makes Hatebreeder such an incredible album. However, Bodom has changed their style a bit, and as long as they're coming out with good solos like Punch Me I Bleed, Living Dead Beat and so on, I'll be happy. I mean, at least they didn't fuck up the MUSIC part like some legends these days.....ahem..cough.....In ack Flames.....rrhhmm....

Enemy242 said:

You must really have bad ears if you can´t tab out HB or FtR solos. The album solos are composed to go on some certain melodies on the solos, and the fast parts are normally just up/down shit on easy scales. The solos really rock. But you must be a failed musician..

It's so fun to see how most of you judge good music by how complex it is.

This album isn't as bad as I feared, but I don't think it's very good either. It's a totally average metal album, which will probably sell a lot because it's a Bodom-album after all (and stop whining about this, it's a fact). Maybe it will grow over time, who knows.

A small comment to juoppo and janez79: why do you excpect anyone to bother listening to you when you do nothing but name people stuff in bad English? Let people have their opinions, hypocrites.

stoned&drunk said:
You must really have bad ears if you can´t tab out HB or FtR solos. The album solos are composed to go on some certain melodies on the solos, and the fast parts are normally just up/down shit on easy scales. The solos really rock. But you must be a failed musician..
I'm not gonna argue with that...i wont say hes a failed musician but the scale patterns on the earlier albums are very straight forward. Honestly when it comes to the older solos im not even talking about technicality, I have a harder time playing alexis fast pentatonic licks, but I suppose thats due to my picking hand being so used to playing fast as hell 3 note per string licks instead of 2

I've reviewed this for my friend's site MEtalism and it'll be launched soon.

My opinion is Gospel, if you don't like it, you can fuck right off :D

DoodgeGant said:
New albums song's seem like they'll sound good live (if that logic works) so that's good enogh for me.

They sound 'live' which is good, not like that over-mixed Hatebreeder crap.

Clearly know nothing about recording/mixing.

Tentimes more work has gone into recording the guitars on AYDY, double, triple tracking guitars, ten times more compression, etc etc.

Of course the sound is different in each album, but in my opinion Hatebreeder sounds much better live, for example Silent Night, Bodom Night and Towards Dead End in Tokyo Warhearts. On the album Hatebreeder sounds like some sort of primal technology video game music. I just think it would sound better with a lower attitude to guitar and keyboard tuning.

Joonas Lehtonen said:
Of course the sound is different in each album, but in my opinion Hatebreeder sounds much better live, for example Silent Night, Bodom Night and Towards Dead End in Tokyo Warhearts. On the album Hatebreeder sounds like some sort of primal technology video game music. I just think it would sound better with a lower attitude to guitar and keyboard tuning.

My point was that you said Hatebreeder was over produced compared to AYDY. And without the guitars and Keyboard, CoB is fucking nothing.

I just like down tuned and real-like CoB better. You know how the Lake Bodom melody sometimes breaks low and sometimes high, I think it's irritating when it breaks high, it's so cool low, same with the Towards Dead End melody (that sounds so much better live).

Joonas Lehtonen said:
I just like down tuned and real-like CoB better. You know how the Lake Bodom melody sometimes breaks low and sometimes high, I think it's irritating when it breaks high, it's so cool low, same with the Towards Dead End melody (that sounds so much better live).
well theres more to music than just chugging away on low strings....sorry