Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

He's better than me and I don't see what's embarrasing about that performance. It's just this is Bodom forum so everything that's not perfect will be shat on.

I'm ashamed to put this here, because you guys are very good guitarist and I don't, that's all.

COME ON DUDE...there was nothing wrong with your playing. be fucking proud of yourself

you should come see me playing!:lol:

I have started to learn BOR but I can't even play the opening riff!

I'm so fucked up!

can't expect anything better cuz 4 month ago I purchased a Jackson RR3

and I didn't even know how to hold the axe in my hand!

no instructors around! no guides around! nothing!

that's why my playing sucks.

be proud of yourself.

no instructors around! no guides around! nothing!

I know what you mean. Even on the internet it's difficult to find a good way to start learning the theory step by step. Just download tux guitar and start memorizing Bodom songs and playing them over and over again, skip too hard lead parts and play rhythm instead. For example, use two evenings to memorize a Bodom song, the first one for the easier stuff like rhythms and the second one for the harder leads. Once you have like 4 songs down you can keep playing them everytime you pick up the guitar and improve. I don't know theory; guitar is fun for me, not a job. I just learn all the stuff except annoyingly technical parts and sweep picking solos, and keep practising them to build up the speed and cleanness. I may leave the guitar untouched for 2-3 weeks and when I pick it up again and warm up, brains have processed the techniques and I play better than before the break, it's weird.

I know what you mean. Even on the internet it's difficult to find a good way to start learning the theory step by step. Just download tux guitar and start memorizing Bodom songs and playing them over and over again, skip too hard lead parts and play rhythm instead. For example, use two evenings to memorize a Bodom song, the first one for the easier stuff like rhythms and the second one for the harder leads. Once you have like 4 songs down you can keep playing them everytime you pick up the guitar and improve. I don't know theory; guitar is fun for me, not a job. I just learn all the stuff except annoyingly technical parts and sweep picking solos, and keep practising them to build up the speed and cleanness. I may leave the guitar untouched for 2-3 weeks and when I pick it up again and warm up, brains have processed the techniques and I play better than before the break, it's weird.

Kittos dude.

but even the easiest COB songs are difficult for me! I'm left handed and I have a weak right hand and a stupid left hand!!!!

As I said before I'm trying to learn Bed of Razors but I haven't managed to play the opening riff perfectly! though it's one of the easiest COB songs but it seems to be beyond my playing skills!!!

but guess what!!

there's only one song I know by heart and I play it almost flawlessly!:lol:

it's a really easy song for most of you! but learning it was a challenge for me!

what I did was that I made a MIDI backing track of the song and started jamming with it! all of a sudden I learned it:lol:

the name of the song is Last Dance by German Gothic/Doom metal band

Lacrimas Profundere ( in latin means to shed tears)

here is the song

and here is a part of my video covering the song:lol:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?coz235m66v5lge7

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said before I'm trying to learn Bed of Razors but I haven't managed to play the opening riff perfectly! though it's one of the easiest COB songs but it seems to be beyond my playing skills!!!

The very last finger placing on the intro riffs is very hard... but honestly if you can't play that then you're hopeless :lol: You don't mean the melody do you? I don't think Bed Of Razors one of the easiest songs, there's lots of tricky melody and there's sweeps before the actual guitar solo.

Try SNBN rhythm guitars, it's easy and satisfying.

The very last finger placing on the intro riffs is very hard... but honestly if you can't play that then you're hopeless :lol: You don't mean the melody do you? I don't think Bed Of Razors one of the easiest songs, there's lots of tricky melody and there's sweeps before the actual guitar solo.

Try SNBN rhythm guitars, it's easy and satisfying.

my problem in playing the intro of BOR is when I have to move from 2nd string to 1st and then to return to 2nd!!! if I master that then I wont have issues with the intro!!!

SNBN has some quick chord progressions and my left hand is so stupid in making the changes in the shapes of my fingers!:mad:

my problem in playing the intro of BOR is when I have to move from 2nd string to 1st and then to return to 2nd!!! if I master that then I wont have issues with the intro!!!

SNBN has some quick chord progressions and my left hand is so stupid in making the changes in the shapes of my fingers!:mad:

I know what you mean. Try it slow speed and it will eventually come. I kinda developed my own techinique to play the intro, and it seems to work just fine.

So you're talking about the melody.

I can't help you. I play it from lower strings. String skipping is shit but it just gets a little more accurate the more you practise. No secret really... I guess same with sweep picking: practise. When I was starting to play I thought WTF is with these Bodom solos, there's got to be some special trick to play that, cos there's no way in hell I could EVER play that. And now I play some of their solos half-decent. Hard things just come accessable through time and practise. Of course there's something like alternate picking which comes pretty handy when doing this stuff... but I've serious problems doing it when there's string skipping. Like Blooddrunk melody. I can't do it with alt picking all the way. I just do alt picking whenever I can. Downfall melody is another example: I don't quite know if I should do it with single or alt picking.

I love aliens. They're out there.

This guy looks like Orlando Bloom.

Orlando-Bloom-Wants-Back-in-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Movies-2.jpg

I know what you mean. Try it slow speed and it will eventually come. I kinda developed my own techinique to play the intro, and it seems to work just fine.

Yeah thanks you're right.

speed does not happen overnight!

patience will solve my problem I guess!

So you're talking about the melody.

I can't help you. I play it from lower strings. String skipping is shit but it just gets a little more accurate the more you practise. No secret really... I guess same with sweep picking: practise. When I was starting to play I thought WTF is with these Bodom solos, there's got to be some special trick to play that, cos there's no way in hell I could EVER play that. And now I play some of their solos half-decent. Hard things just come accessable through time and practise. Of course there's something like alternate picking which comes pretty handy when doing this stuff... but I've serious problems doing it when there's string skipping. Like Blooddrunk melody. I can't do it with alt picking all the way. I just do alt picking whenever I can. Downfall melody is another example: I don't quite know if I should do it with single or alt picking.

yeah exactly! I'm just hoping that I'm doing the right thing cuz what I'm doing is walking with a blindfold on my eyes! any kind of mistake may have really bad results

Best to play both melodies completely alternate picking. I'd avoid doing anything unnecessarily complicated and just practice using alternate picking. For BOR I play the intro starting on the B string on the 12fth fret and utilize the E, B, and G strings.

If you have guitar pro slow it down to 50%, use the metronome on it and play along until its natural. Playing COB well is going to take a lot of time since even the rhythm requires some decent technique. The thing is though, once you start mastering some techniques you can learn any COB song without any effort.

Anyway, I remembered a few days ago that there are some really good backing tracks in this forum and starting making a cover of FTR if you wanna check it out : http://www.mediafire.com/?w2xc1dwnq9iet15
I'll probably have it done sometime this weekend when I have time to practice the solo enough good enough for a recording.

edit: which reminds me, if anyone has or can make some RRF backing tracks of the same quality that'd be really amazing. I've forgotten a lot of the previous material. : )
edit again: meant 12th fret on B string

Good backing tracks of the same quality as your FTR BT? This is made with some shitty soundfont like Rockkit, or? :lol:

Ask Epi how he made it. The backing track is rather good. When it comes down to it, anything is better than playing over the actual song.