Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

I was bored so i decided to try and record a solo exchange in style of alexi and roope. bt isn't very bodomish, but oh well. Excuse the sloppiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why isn't it the double pentatonic tapping in the beginning though? :lol:

But you nailed the Stone feel with legato + whammy after that :kickass: Nice playing, definitely much less sloppy than Alexi nowadays.

Thanks! At least I've made some progress whereas Alexi seems to regress if you compare his live performances. It boggles my mind, maybe he just doesn't give a damn outside the studio anymore. I listened to tokyo warhearts after a bit of listening to that hellfest show they did recently, it's like two different guys playing.

This made me think a good Bodom solo needs these elements:

It derives from the melody of the song itself and has 2-3 epic melody moments.
The rhythm and drum beat in the background is catchy.
There's a razor sharp squeal.
There's an ultra fast section and a technical section.

When it's just about playing technical, forgettable notes fast, it's boring. As in all art, the invisible foundation of everything is the emotional purpose behind everything. Many don't realize this. A song needs to come from a story/emotion, and the solo has to echo it, adding to the atmosphere, be it vicious or balladic or mysterius. When you think from the top of your mind, which solos do you remember? Everytime I Die, Follow the Reaper, Warheart, Downfall, Punch Me I Bleed, Banned from Heaven first solo... they all have emotion.

Nice playing Jontzgu :D
thx, it was pretty fun just to mess around and include as many alexi cliches as I could remember :D

There's ultimately no recipe for a good solo. There are solos like this one
https://youtu.be/hWCLKbqqzrU?t=2m22s and solos like this one
https://youtu.be/FkP3ktcmNUw?t=2m10s
and they're equally cool.
ps: not to mention that some people enjoy Slayer type of solo, which to my taste is just mindless fuckery.

Nice solos, that hypocrisy one was pretty tasty, good song overall. You're very right about that there's no 100% way to pre describe how to write & play good lead guitar. Sure you can use musical theory and compose it in a way so that certain notes really sing, but even that's really dependent on the context.

Yeah over the years I have began to aprreciate how important the backing track is to a solo

damn, that whole video is crazy. He plays everything so clean and effortlessly. "Pretty straight-forward". LOL

I was bored so i decided to try and record a solo exchange in style of alexi and roope. bt isn't very bodomish, but oh well. Excuse the sloppiness.

This one sounds really cool! Did I ever ask you about your recording gear? Plz tell me that this is recorded with Podfarm or Revalver and nothing else!

Last edited by a moderator: