Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

Thanks guys. Yeah it's not a hard song, although it is surprisingly tricky to not fuck up because some of the parts are so angular.

The Kemper profile is actually just a stock one from the Rig Exchange, if you search "JE-E530 + Pwramp" you should find it.

Thanks a bunch! Yeah I think those double one string palm muted stuff is pretty hard to do so clean as that. Really narrows it down to picking technic. I do own a lot of amps and a kemper, but haven't shared any of my profiles. Maybe I will soon, but still too busy fixing my gp-1000 on my own and reading up on amp building. I really don't want to do it point to point if I don't have to....

hey

hadnt recorded anything in a while so i recorded a run on FTR
Havent seen myself play in 2 years and im happy with how much I have improved :D

its not perfect, lemme know what u think, or tips :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to sound rude or anything, but you should try practicing with a metronome and have a closer look at note lengths. I like your bends though, they sound good!

As said earlier theres slight timing problems through the whole song. Also I would suggest to practice muting the unwanted noise/strings with palm/fingers a bit more. Keep it up!

Thanks a bunch! Yeah I think those double one string palm muted stuff is pretty hard to do so clean as that. Really narrows it down to picking technic. I do own a lot of amps and a kemper, but haven't shared any of my profiles. Maybe I will soon, but still too busy fixing my gp-1000 on my own and reading up on amp building. I really don't want to do it point to point if I don't have to....

I made a preamp profile of my 5150 III a couple years ago but that's it. I don't have any experience micing up amps so I'm totally content with just using other people's profiles. I'm back down to only a single amp now anyway (Engl Ironball) since the Kemper is so much more convenient for me in pretty much every situation.

Amp repairs is the one thing I've never had any interest in, seems like it'd take a ton of research and a lot of skill I don't have.

Not to sound rude or anything, but you should try practicing with a metronome and have a closer look at note lengths. I like your bends though, they sound good!

thats actually exactly the kind of feedback I liked to receive, constructive :)
Metronome thingy I have heard before, thing is I never had any theoretical music education, like note lengths, notes, keys, scales, metronome, etc...

I know note lenghts from working in GP but I can't really use them since I dont know their corrolation to the BPM etc...

I would like to still learn this and follow classes on it, thing is atm I neither have the time nor the fund for it.
I tried self-teaching it but I just dont understand it, probably because most online tutorials are in a different language, or start at step 2 or 3 instead of 1.

I feel as if my timing issue is what is keeping me from becoming more accomplished.

As said earlier theres slight timing problems through the whole song. Also I would suggest to practice muting the unwanted noise/strings with palm/fingers a bit more. Keep it up!

Ye I should work on muting better with my left hand, since on certain powerchords im still doing "the claw" instead of the relaxed grip I do on a couple of others.

Any advice?

thx for feedback btw!

thats actually exactly the kind of feedback I liked to receive, constructive :)
Metronome thingy I have heard before, thing is I never had any theoretical music education, like note lengths, notes, keys, scales, metronome, etc...

I know note lenghts from working in GP but I can't really use them since I dont know their corrolation to the BPM etc...

I would like to still learn this and follow classes on it, thing is atm I neither have the time nor the fund for it.
I tried self-teaching it but I just dont understand it, probably because most online tutorials are in a different language, or start at step 2 or 3 instead of 1.

I feel as if my timing issue is what is keeping me from becoming more accomplished..

I'll give you some basics on the BPM/note length correlation.

BPM is used to measure the speed of a song as you surely know. 60 BPM means there's sixty beats in a minute, 120 BPM means there's 120 beats in a minute. One beat is the same as a 1/4 note.

Different notes:

1/1
1/2
1/4 (The same as the beat)
1/8
1/16
1/32

(The further down, the faster the notes)

You can ignore the first number. The second number tells you how many of said notes fit into one measure. There are four beats in a measure. So basically what you get out of a metronome is quarter notes.

There's also triplet notes. A 1/8 triplet is the same as a 1/12 note. You have two 8th (1/8 notes) in a beat. Eight in a measure. You have three 8th triplets in a beat (Hence the name "triplet"). Twelve in a measure. Similarly you have four 16th notes in a beat and six 16th triplets. If you want to get mathematical, a triplet is basically 0,666 times the length of the "non-triplet" note with the same numbers. An 8th note triplet is 66,6% of the length of an 8th note. Basically you divide the length by 1,5.

With really slow triplets timing becomes a pain in the ass so don't put too much though into them in the beginning. Especially if you ever find 1/1 triplets you're SCREWED. That means that there's three 1/1 (Commonly called "full notes") notes in two measures. 1/2 triplets (1/2 notes are often called "half notes). Similarly 1/4 notes are "quarter notes").

Full note
Full note triplet

Half note
Half note triplet

Quarter note
Quarter note triplet

8th note
8th note triplet

16th note
16th note triplet

32nd note
32nd note triplet

Then there's dotted notes. They are perhaps a bit easier to handle than triplets. An 8th dotted is 1,5 times the length of an 8th note, or you could think of it as one 8th note + one 16th note, or even as three 16th notes. Basically you multiply the length by 1,5 when dealing with dotted notes (In triplets you divided the length by 1,5 remember?) In a measure you can, for example have two 4th dotted notes and one 4th note. It's a pretty common rhythm pattern for melodies. Does it fill up a measure? Yes, it does. One 4th dotted is equivalent to 1,5 4th notes or three 8th notes. When you have two of the 4th dotted notes it equals into three 4th notes. Then when you add the last 4th note (not dotted this time) you get a full measure at four 4th notes.

Full note dotted
Full note
Full note triplet

Half note dotted
Half note
Half note triplet

Quarter note dotted
Quarter note
Quarter note triplet

8th note dotted
8th note
8th note triplet

16th note dotted
16th note
16th note triplet

32nd note dotted
32nd note
32nd note triplet

When playing with a metronome you can practice the stuff with these.

1 note per metronome tick (NPMT henceforth) = quarter notes.
2 NPMT = 8th notes
3 NPMT = 8th triplets
4 NPMT = 16th notes
6 NPMT = 16th triplets

quarter notes: /0---/0---/0---/0---/
8th notes: /0-0-/0-0-/0-0-/0-0-/
8th triplets: /0-0-0-/0-0-0-/0-0-0-/0-0-0-/
16th dotted, 16th dotted, 16th, 16th dotted, 16th dotted, 16th: /0--0--0-/0--0--0-/0--0--0-/0--0--0-/
16th notes: /0000/0000/0000/0000/

/ = tick of metronome
0 = note

The beats are equal length in all of those examples. The examples are again in speed order. The ones on the top are slow, the ones on the bottom are fast. Make sure that your triplet notes are all equal in length. Also, if you practice the 16 dotted thing, put the BPM VERY low. Like 50-80 in the beginning I'd say.

You could try clapping the stuff too.

R L L R L L R L R L L R L L R L. If you clap this at 8th notes, your right hand is essentially playing 4th dotted, 4th dotted, 4th, 4th dotted, 4th dotted, 4th etc. Then you can leave out the left one.

R L L R L L R L L R L L. This one gives you 8th note triplets if you time it so that your right hand claps in time with the metronome.

I hope this clears something up, at least. You have anything to ask, ask away. I like teaching. :D

Random qustion to the pro guitarists here: what is challenging for you at this point? Arcane, for example, I don't think there's a single COB song you can't play. Are any of them even hard? :D

Personally I'm pissed that progress is so slow. In COB terms how good I am? I can play the intro to Lake Bodom at 120 BPM without hammer ons/pull offs and without mistakes. My left hand could go faster but the right one starts lagging behind above 120 BPM (Not in everything of course but in that particular melody).

I'll give you some basics on the BPM/note length correlation.

BPM is used to measure the speed of a song as you surely know. 60 BPM means there's sixty beats in a minute, 120 BPM means there's 120 beats in a minute. One beat is the same as a 1/4 note.

Different notes:

1/1
1/2
1/4 (The same as the beat)
1/8
1/16
1/32

You can ignore the first number. The second number tells you how many of said notes fit into one measure. There are four beats in a measure. So basically what you get out of a metronome is quarter notes.

There's also triplet notes. A 1/8 triplet is the same as a 1/12 note. You have two 8th (1/8 notes) in a beat. Eight in a measure. You have three 8th triplets in a beat (Hence the name "triplet"). Twelve in a measure. Similarly you have four 16th notes in a beat and six 16th triplets. If you want to get mathematical, a triplet is basically 0,666 times the length of the "non-triplet" note with the same numbers. An 8th note triplet is 66,6% of the length of an 8th note. Basically you divide the length by 1,5.

With really slow triplets timing becomes a pain in the ass so don't put too much though into them in the beginning. Especially if you ever find 1/1 triplets you're SCREWED. That means that there's three 1/1 (Commonly called "full notes") notes in two measures. 1/2 triplets (1/2 notes are often called "half notes). Similarly 1/4 notes are "quarter notes").

Full note
Full note triplet

Half note
Half note triplet

Quarter note
Quarter note triplet

8th note
8th note triplet

16th note
16th note triplet

32nd note
32nd note triplet

Then there's dotted notes. They are perhaps a bit easier to handle than triplets. An 8th dotted is 1,5 times the length of an 8th note, or you could think of it as one 8th note + one 16th note, or even as three 16th notes. Basically you multiply the length by 1,5 when dealing with dotted notes (In triplets you divided the length by 1,5 remember?) In a measure you can, for example have two 4th dotted notes and one 4th note. It's a pretty common rhythm pattern for melodies. Does it fill up a measure? Yes, it does. One 4th dotted is equivalent to 1,5 4th notes or three 8th notes. When you have two of the 4th dotted notes it equals into three 4th notes. Then when you add the last 4th note (not dotted this time) you get a full measure at four 4th notes.

Full note dotted
Full note
Full note triplet

Half note dotted
Half note
Half note triplet

Quarter note dotted
Quarter note
Quarter note triplet

8th note dotted
8th note
8th note triplet

16th note dotted
16th note
16th note triplet

32nd note dotted
32nd note
32nd note triplet

When playing with a metronome you can practice the stuff with these.

1 note per metronome tick (NPMT henceforth) = quarter notes.
2 NPMT = 8th notes
3 NPMT = 8th triplets
4 NPMT = 16th notes
6 NPMT = 16th triplets

quarter notes: /0---/0---/0---/0---/
8th notes: /0-0-/0-0-/0-0-/0-0-/
8th triplets: /0-0-0-/0-0-0-/0-0-0-/0-0-0-/
16th dotted, 16th dotted, 16th, 16th dotted, 16th dotted, 16th: /0--0--0-/0--0--0-/0--0--0-/0--0--0-/
16th notes: /0000/0000/0000/0000/

/ = tick of metronome
0 = note

The beats are equal length in all of those examples. The examples are again in speed order. The ones on the top are slow, the ones on the bottom are fast. Make sure that your triplet notes are all equal in length. Also, if you practice the 16 dotted thing, put the BPM VERY low. Like 50-80 in the beginning I'd say.

You could try clapping the stuff too.

R L L R L L R L R L L R L L R L. If you clap this at 8th notes, your right hand is essentially playing 4th dotted, 4th dotted, 4th, 4th dotted, 4th dotted, 4th etc. Then you can leave out the left one.

R L L R L L R L L R L L. This one gives you 8th note triplets if you time it so that your right hand claps in time with the metronome.

I hope this clears something up, at least. You have anything to ask, ask away. I like teaching. :D

this is what GP has taught me, besides the metronome stuff, thts new.

but how EXACTLY is playing along with the metrnome gonna help me in my playing?

this is what GP has taught me, besides the metronome stuff, thts new.

but how EXACTLY is playing along with the metrnome gonna help me in my playing?

Yeah, I started it with VERY beginner stuff.

You get more precise with your rhythm the more you play with a metronome. Of course if you play on top of a song you should develop the same stuff, perhaps slightly slower. Probably it's just that when playing with a metronome, if you screw up the rhythm you'll immediately hear it and correct it. It should also help when you're playing without it in keeping the beat stable and the notes exactly the right length.

My playing is generally pretty clean in my opinion. Whether it's because of using a metronome or something else, I don't know.

Yeah, I started it with VERY beginner stuff.

You get more precise with your rhythm the more you play with a metronome. Of course if you play on top of a song you should develop the same stuff, perhaps slightly slower. Probably it's just that when playing with a metronome, if you screw up the rhythm you'll immediately hear it and correct it. It should also help when you're playing without it in keeping the beat stable and the notes exactly the right length.

My playing is generally pretty clean in my opinion. Whether it's because of using a metronome or something else, I don't know.

thank you

Consider the following scale run, alternate picking
GFqhOlY.png

the arrows indicate the direction of pick if you think of the lines as the strings (i.e. arrow up is actually a down stroke). You have 4 consecutive notes with string switching and you pick them all inside out (you know what I mean), obviously a pain in the ass to play it clean. Would you bother playing this shit at high speed with alt picking or would you just pull off the note before string switching starts? The pick movements are then much more natural and comfortable. Another option is just to start with an upstroke, but that's lame, not always you know where you'll end up when you start picking.
I'm talking this kind of speed: https://youtu.be/vJ3vFMjfxYc?t=1m36s
You can hear even Muhammed plays it sloppily and it fucking bothers me :lol:

Consider the following scale run, alternate picking
GFqhOlY.png

the arrows indicate the direction of pick if you think of the lines as the strings (i.e. arrow up is actually a down stroke). You have 4 consecutive notes with string switching and you pick them all inside out (you know what I mean), obviously a pain in the ass to play it clean. Would you bother playing this shit at high speed with alt picking or would you just pull off the note before string switching starts? The pick movements are then much more natural and comfortable. Another option is just to start with an upstroke, but that's lame, not always you know where you'll end up when you start picking.
I'm talking this kind of speed: https://youtu.be/vJ3vFMjfxYc?t=1m36s
You can hear even Muhammed plays it sloppily and it fucking bothers me :lol:

well if the tab says u have to alternate pick them ( like the pictures says) I'd just do it that way, since imo pullling off on a string switch sounds sloppy :\

It's not the tab it's the damn perfectionism :lol: Also it's useful if you can nail such string switching reliably. At that speed - I can't tell the difference at all with one pull-off mixed in there.