Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

^ Here is the worst possible example!

LOL, yeah, can't even tell it's a cover. Loud volume and an identical guitar sound, that doesn't work. It's perfectly fine to have a sound that's different from COBs, as long as it's good. It kills me when talented kids on guitar aim to sound exactly like so and so. Develop your own damn sound.

What the fuck is the point, I can't hear him play at all. Just trying to show off?

Yeah, that sounds pretty much like the studio version with the drums perhaps mixed a tiny bit louder. Personally I like covers where I can actually hear the instrument being covered. I don't really watch cover videos for the music, I mostly do it to better hear what individual instruments are doing in the song.

Yeah it's exciting to listen to completely different aspects, styles and sounds and mixings of the songs, when done well. This sounds like stoner metal in some way.

That's what I call freedom of improvisation right there, yeah.

It's basically pop vs metal.

Btw I just figured yesterday I could make fantastic rap just by spontaneous flow, if I wanted. My musical skills are also more than enough for making a great rap background. And those guys get more pussy than metal heads, it's insane, it's insanity guys, fuuckk.

That's what I call freedom of improvisation right there, yeah.

It's basically pop vs metal.

Btw I just figured yesterday I could make fantastic rap just by spontaneous flow, if I wanted. My musical skills are also more than enough for making a great rap background. And those guys get more pussy than metal heads, it's insane, it's insanity guys, fuuckk.
If you want to get creative you could take some inspiration from this song:

How is that still on youtube? The guy was taken to court for that. He's looping Children of Decadence, just talking shit over it and getting artist respect. Now he's some phenomenon and doesn't even mention that it's not even his song? His fans are saying "Children of Bodom sucks" and "Bodom fans are just upset cos their artist got ""called out.""

You know the feeling when someone's head is so fucking stupid you wanna smack it on a concrete wall?

It's not enough to say "it's not stealing, it's sampling."

Last edited:
If you want to get creative you could take some inspiration from this song:

Hey dude thanks! I was looking for this few months back but I had no clue what the artist/song was called. I wanted to show this to a classmate who listened once this russian rap song which is based on a Silent Hill song.

Hey dude thanks! I was looking for this few months back but I had no clue what the artist/song was called. I wanted to show this to a classmate who listened once this russian rap song which is based on a Silent Hill song.

Yeah, what's the name of the rap song using this 1:43 - sample over the song?

Rappers don't make music, they steal music. They can't make money with it, right... right? It's annoying beyond description, when one isn't matured as artist and only uses others' ideas and claims it their own to receive attention and praise. Of course they're only being badasses and calling people out for a fight... saying they're tough, when they can't even make their own music and have hero fantasies of themselves with their little ego. All they needed was a bitchslapping from their father. But no-one would bother listening to their pathetic rant without the stolen musical piece in the background... I can't take this. Really low-vibration stuff.

Last edited:
Finally got some vocals on my Bed of Razors cover if anyone is interested...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice artwork. The soundworld is softer than the vocal style. I would mix vocals lower, and include more middle(?) and echo for guitars, then some acoustic effect for the vocals to make them more distant or coming 'thru a wall' or maybe 'in a hall' (better yet: 'in a forest'). Some moody keyboards wouldn't hurt either, some low-pitch choirs for instrumental parts could blend nice with the vocal style.

Last edited:
Yeah I had issues getting the guitars to really cut through - I recorded this around a year ago so I toggled with it as much as I could to get the guitars to sound 'crisper' but I'm no good at mixing. Thanks for the feedback anyway

Finally got some vocals on my Bed of Razors cover if anyone is interested...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like it. One of the better covers I've heard, though admittedly I don't have a whole lot to compare to.

Now for some ideas that might or might not make it even better:
To me the sound seems a tad low frequency heavy, so you might try doing something about it if you still want to edit it (No need really, it's good as it is. Eternal editing is something I'm very good at. Don't fall in the same swamp. You'll never get out :)). Also, some reverb on the vocals might work pretty well. Perhaps mix the drums a tad higher too.

Also, the riff under the keyboard solo is great. I've never noticed it in the real song! :D

I like it. One of the better covers I've heard, though admittedly I don't have a whole lot to compare to.

Now for some ideas that might or might not make it even better:
To me the sound seems a tad low frequency heavy, so you might try doing something about it if you still want to edit it (No need really, it's good as it is. Eternal editing is something I'm very good at. Don't fall in the same swamp. You'll never get out :)). Also, some reverb on the vocals might work pretty well.

Also, the riff under the keyboard solo is great. I've never noticed it in the real song! :D

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm using Reason Limited a free mixing software you get with the Line 6 UX, the problem I'm having is when you listen to each individual guitar they sound good, but when all placed together it all goes a bit too 'smooth' if you know what I mean. Any tips on how to make them really stand out? I really can't be bothered going back and re-recording the guitars :D

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm using Reason Limited a free mixing software you get with the Line 6 UX, the problem I'm having is when you listen to each individual guitar they sound good, but when all placed together it all goes a bit too 'smooth' if you know what I mean. Any tips on how to make them really stand out? I really can't be bothered going back and re-recording the guitars :D
Don't really know much about mixing, but you might try different panning for the guitars. I tend to have leads dead center and rhythms 100% L/R, although the most recent style I've used is to have both leads and rhythms 100% to the sides. Solos are played with only one guitar (mixed higher than the others so it pushes through), panned, dead center. I don't think my mixes sound any better than yours though, so can't really say what would work. Personally I've often had the guitars sound too harsh and have then used a little reverb to smoothen them up, so my problem is somewhat opposite to yours :D

Yeah I had the guitars panned in a similar fashion.

Re-uploaded below with some slight reverb on the vocals.