Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

Warheart,

Sweet video dude I liked it. Question - What kind of camera are you using to record that? I want to buy a camera so I can start posting some covers, but I'm not sure how much I'll have to pay to get it to sound as good as your videos. Thanks.

The backing track is uploaded below and the main lead is recorded through the line in port, like it would be if I were using Cool Edit Pro. The camera itself is only recording the image. If I set it to record using cam mic, you'd only hear the sound of the unamplified strings twacking away because all the sound is coming through the headphones.

To be like everyone else, I'd have to bring my amp down and get the cam mic to record THAT sound but it sounds shit, so why do it?!

I'm thinking of doing the same on my next videos, but the problem is, that isn't really real you know? Recording the track first and then recording the video... I don't know.

Haha, that's not what I did and something I have never done. The main guitar that you hear in the Virtual Future solo was live at the time. I just made a backing track beforehand with drums, bass, rhythm guitars and all the harmonies, so when I played the lead, it sounded like the original and the audio version I did a few weeks ago.

And for anyone that thinks I'm lying, here's the backing track that I played over in that vid:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/i98q6g

Wow, thank you very much! :D. Appreciate it.

Your covers were :eek:

No probs. And thanks. :saint:

^With such a number of recordings I don't think anyone would not belive it's you playing, :lol:

^Lulz How many hours do a day do you practice TimMerCobhc and ChildrenofCob? (ignoring the exams) Warheart said 8 hours a day!! He obviously didnt give two fucks about his GCSE's or A levels. :)

Oh and a non vague answer please, Ie in hours :hotjump:

Real practice not much (20 min a day??) because I'm a fucking lazy retard who doesn't take things seriously until he needs them (and then he doesn't have them :lol:), but I play 2-4 hours a day, including exams, because as I said I'm a fucking lazy retard and I don't study as much as I should (hence why I fail many of my exams now at UNI (bring highschool back with 1 block per exam!!! :lol::lol::lol:).

But anyway, as you see Mitch or Reaperscythe rock and I suck, :lol: I can play many rythms clean and that stuff but I fail at fast stuff and solos, I always end up pulling and hammering fast runs and not picking the sweeps, :lol: So pay attention to people like Mitch, Reaperscythe, Ben, Tim... and not to me, :lol:

Thanks for the comments ppl!!! :worship:

reaperscythe, that TDE attempt was pretty cool!! Cool that we could hear your guitar and accurate playing!

squeee: the only thing I really noticed was timing. as long as you're accenting all the beats, you can't go wrong. :Smokedev:

For anyone that wants a Venomous Vixens BACKING TRACK, I've uploaded mine with and without rhythm guitars. I must stress that I was in a real hurry so my rhythm guitars are like 2/5 takes, with editing here and there so they're not as perfect as I'd like but they'll do.

01. Full Cover
02. Rhythm Gtr BT
03. Drum & Bass BT

And I recorded a video of myself playing the guitar solo in another Sinergy song, Virtual Future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj92v8SY6J8

That was great Mitch! Nice playing on the solo too, really clean sweeps. :kickass:

I'm thinking of doing the same on my next videos, but the problem is, that isn't really real you know? Recording the track first and then recording the video... I don't know.

To make it more "real" you could record the sound and video at the same time, but from different inputs - like, recording the video on the cam while recording the sound from the line-in simultaneously. I think that's the way <Warheart> was doing it too, because it looks synchronized.

If you wanted to make it even more "real" you'd have to get an acoustic guitar cause it's the one with analogue output lol ^___^

I started with 5 or 6 hours every day too but now I'm not practising anymore. I do just playing songs. That's my practise.

Yeah, same here.[/url]

So you two just pick up the guitar any time you wish and just shred triplets at like 200 bpm without even warming up?

I usually warm up for about 3 hours and I consider this as a practice. Then I play songs for about an hour so and that's it.

Sweet video dude I liked it. Question - What kind of camera are you using to record that? I want to buy a camera so I can start posting some covers

From my experience it's best to get Sony Digital Cameras. They record directly in AVI with a good sound and video quality. With 1GB memory card you can record 44min of video in 640x480 resolution and the quality is REALLY good. I have an ancient Sony DSC-P73 model that isn't even available to buy anywhere and it does the job perfectly. I was watching some newer models and for some really small money you can get yourself some newer 6megapixel models that will take goods pics and record good videos! :)

I also have a newer Nikon Coolpix camera and while the video quality is a better, the sound quality sucks, it records in .MOV files (quick-time, which is PAIN IN THE ASS to edit) and video files are extremely big (on 2GB memory card you can record only about 45min of video).

Yeah, pretty much. I don't do warmups, no exercises, no metronoming, just pick up and play.

Most of this stuff has become easy because I sit at the computer just playing mindless shred stuff so when it comes to actually playing solos with these licks in, they're not as hard as they used to be.

And I've uploaded my Sinergy recordings, thus far:

Venomous Vixens [Full Cover]
The Bitch Is Back [Chorus]
Laid To Rest [Solo]
Lead Us To War [Intro]
The Sin Trade [Intro]
Virtual Future [Solo]
Written In Stone [Solo]

Yeah, pretty much. I don't do warmups, no exercises, no metronoming, just pick up and play.

Most of this stuff has become easy because I sit at the computer just playing mindless shred stuff so when it comes to actually playing solos with these licks in, they're not as hard as they used to be.
Ahhhhh... same here!!!

From my experience it's best to get Sony Digital Cameras. They record directly in AVI with a good sound and video quality. With 1GB memory card you can record 44min of video in 640x480 resolution and the quality is REALLY good. I have an ancient Sony DSC-P73 model that isn't even available to buy anywhere and it does the job perfectly. I was watching some newer models and for some really small money you can get yourself some newer 6megapixel models that will take goods pics and record good videos! :)

I also have a newer Nikon Coolpix camera and while the video quality is a better, the sound quality sucks, it records in .MOV files (quick-time, which is PAIN IN THE ASS to edit) and video files are extremely big (on 2GB memory card you can record only about 45min of video).

Well, since I think I might try recording through the line-in like Warheart does, could you just recommend me a camera that has good enough video but not necessarily good audio recording?

Guys, check out my Hellhounds interlude..

Well, since I think I might try recording through the line-in like Warheart does, could you just recommend me a camera that has good enough video but not necessarily good audio recording?

I still vote for Sony as it records directly in AVI, video files are small in size, but have higher resolution. My DSC-P73 makes better videos that those that Mitch's records!

I would buy this in a second if I had any extra money: http://www.pixmania.com/si/uk/995098/art/sony/cyber-shot-dsc-w110-silve.html

or this one (has HD resoultion):
http://www.pixmania.com/si/uk/928227/art/sony/cyber-shot-dsc-w170-black.html?form=88#tech-specs

To Nazgul- What do you practice for 3 hours? Care to share it? :)

I have few exercises and licks that I play. I start out at 140bm (playing 16ths) and then work up the speed on metronome (by 5bpm everytime), while still playing them same stuff. When I get to around 180-185, it gets too hard for me to play 16ths (stuff like Downfall solo, I can still play single note 16ths though), so I change to triplets and play them until about 220-240 (depending on what I play - picking or sweeping, etc.). Takes about 3 hours to do all that.

What do you think of this approach? Or do you think it's better to take a lick and practice it until you can do it at the desired speed, then take anoter lick and repeat? Would that be better?

I have few exercises and licks that I play. I start out at 140bm (playing 16ths) and then work up the speed on metronome (by 5bpm everytime), while still playing them same stuff. When I get to around 180-185, it gets too hard for me to play 16ths (stuff like Downfall solo, I can still play single note 16ths though), so I change to triplets and play them until about 220-240 (depending on what I play - picking or sweeping, etc.). Takes about 3 hours to do all that.

What do you think of this approach? Or do you think it's better to take a lick and practice it until you can do it at the desired speed, then take anoter lick and repeat? Would that be better?

Difference in triplets to regular note patterns? I can only play 16ths runs at 100 BPM, lol How did you get to that stage? Just started dead slow and spent hours a day on one lick?

Difference in triplets to regular note patterns? I can only play 16ths runs at 100 BPM, lol How did you get to that stage? Just started dead slow and spent hours a day on one lick?

What do you mean?

I can play 16th triplets at around 100-110bpm too (that's around SNBN speed)
16th notes..200bpm. (my black metal band plays that fast)