Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

Ok people, time for some more recordings!

13 - Rebel Yell (solo) I haven't recorded the intro cos I don't have the tab for it and I can't figure out the first part.

15 - Kissing The Shadows (advanced, take 2 lol) As when I asked for advice people told me that the harmonics in the first version were kinda weak and that the melodies and mini lead needed more work, I've tried to sort it out for this time. Let me know what you think!

Epi: But but but :cry::cry:

:lol: Then you shouldn't have explained all the working of Fruity Loops and how to use it and share the soundfonts, cos we can just use them and make our own BTs. Maybe not as great as yours, but kinda similar and way better than GP midi.

Altough this Roope melodie is somewhat easy (learned it in 3 minutes) iam going to record it now.
Only problem is iam tuned to d standard and cant do the rythm guitar of that part into the recording.

Would someone tuned to Drop c so kind and record it so we can lay it together :) ?
Otherwise i would have to use GP5 backing which is not so great :D

And yeah children of cob, we could do that part if you want and compare.

Do you got soundclick ?

Nope, I don't have Soundclick, but I can always record my part, send it to you and you put both together and upload them to your Soundclick.

Flappy, I'll upload your recordings to the soundclick later.

zirkonflex, you can play the chords in D standard too. Just ignore or change the note on the 6th string.

The "Banned from Heaven intro" was very well played dude. Nothing else to add.

Work on the "flap technique" for the first seconds of the TL&S intro. It sounds like harmonics. The riff at 0:35 could also be better but that's pretty good, nice tone and well recorded/mixed with the backing track.

@Flappy: Nice ones dude, BFH nothing to add except two notes that aren't exactly the ones but still fit so no complaints, and TLS what GuitariSteve said, the ''flap thechnique'' like Roope said, :lol: Nice overall tone and playing though.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm certainly going to work on the flap technique :lol:
I didn't exactly play BFH like the tab, so that's probably why those 2 notes are different (and I didn't use hammer-on/pull-offs in the beginning) :)
And I've got some problems with the tone, the low e string seems to come out verry blurry and heavy, that's also why the intro notes of TLS sound really bad (+ of course bad technique :rolleyes:).
Probably going to do The Bitch is Back interlude next.

This very morning after waking up very late i wanted to do some more amp micing to get more used to it.
I plug my gp1000 directly into the pc usually so its a bit new for me.
After getting around with diefferent mic placings and stuff i realized that i found a pretty good "new" Cob sound.
Its sounds a bit like blooddrunk.
I wrote down all the settings and placement and here is what came out :

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1064227/hatecrewlow.wav.html

You will notice that the sound is a bit fuzzy, there is some bg noise iam gojng to filter out with a digital noisegate when it comes to real recording.

I will cover some parts of HCDR with this today, then in evenings this week i will do old bodom covers and thoose weeklys here directly into the pc.

This is my version of Are You Dead Yet? :) I've been playing for like 1,2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my version of Are You Dead Yet? :) I've been playing for like 1,2 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGxLBHWkjM8

not bad at all for the time you've played. some parts were pretty good, but others could use more practice.

And here's my attempt at the Hate Me! intro for week 3.
I know the lead definitely needs more practice, but I gotta focus on some other stuff right now, so I did what I could. Let me know if you guys think the rhythm at least turned out decent.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1jws8l

I know the lead definitely needs more practice, but I gotta focus on some other stuff right now, so I did what I could. Let me know if you guys think the rhythm at least turned out decent.

That was pretty good Mystique, escpecially the rythm! The lead could indeed be better but judging your playing I'd say you have to be able to nail that within no time, it just needs to get a bit more smooth, that's all. And w00t I like your tone! What do you use to get that tone?
Thumbs up. :kickass:

not bad at all for the time you've played. some parts were pretty good, but others could use more practice.

Pretty good!! The lead could be a bit cleaner, but i loved the rhythm!!

I want a line in port too!! :p

That was pretty good Mystique, escpecially the rythm! The lead could indeed be better but judging your playing I'd say you have to be able to nail that within no time, it just needs to get a bit more smooth, that's all. And w00t I like your tone! What do you use to get that tone?
Thumbs up. :kickass:

Pretty good!! The lead could be a bit cleaner, but i loved the rhythm!!

I want a line in port too!! :p

Thank you guys! the feedback is really appreciated :)
I use a Pod XT...that's actually the same tone I used for the Downfall intro riff. I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you which amp and cab setting I used, but if you want, I'll let you know later tonight.

Mystique, nice work! I actually forgot I was listening to a cover at some points!

Also, bad news people :( Remember that lump I showed you on my hand? I'm gonna have to have minor surgery to have it removed :( I dunno when exactly, but hopefully it won't take me too long to recover!

Dude that sucks! I'm sorry to hear about it man! I hope you have a fast recovery and you can be playing again man. Good luck with the surgery!

@Mystique: Nice! Good tone, and the lead isn't that bad, your playing is quite clean. There are a couple of errors during the rythm part but overall is quite good. I liked it.

Damn Tim that sucks,but good luck with it,just be sure to rest any injury/recovery that may inhibit your guitar playing,you could cause even worse damage by rushing back into things,Good stuff Mystique:kickass:
Reminds me must trade in my pod for a more up to date one

Also, bad news people :( Remember that lump I showed you on my hand? I'm gonna have to have minor surgery to have it removed :( I dunno when exactly, but hopefully it won't take me too long to recover!

aw man, I'm really sorry to hear that...is that the main reason you haven't been posting recordings lately? because of that lump? well, I hope everything goes well...just take it easy and let it recover fully before you try playing again.

@Jose, Tim and Irenicus: Thank you for listening :)
Jose, yeah, I caught a mistake in the rhythm also...it's for the guitar panned to the right. But I'm not about to record this again, so oh well.

That's ok, we're not perfect or machines (and glad that we're not, because if we were machines there'd be no music at all), and as long as it is useful for you to keep trying and getting better I think that contributing to this thread is the bst you can do. It helps me a lot at least.