Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

^ That's just the way it happens hehe, and I don't really spend too much time on it either. I think the violin was well and in tune though, maybe I missed a bunch of notes.

@Tim: nice going with the first page, looks much more official now *thumbs up*

Hmm.. I'm actually quite intrigued to hear everyone elses approach to writing music.. I'll upload one of my own tabs.. :p

When I write music, I generally first try to consolidate my thoughts into what style I want the song to be in, since I listen to a lot of different styles of metal.

Then I usually think up a (I don't lay it out, just make sure I have it organized in my head) general form for the song and layout... I'll often steal these from other songs as there's not much you can do anymore that's innovative in terms of the form of the song.

Then usually the first thing I try to do that's actually writing is come up with a solid lick to represent the song. If the song has an intro with a lick, then I'll write that. If the verse is lick-based, I'll write that. If the chorus is lick-based, I'll write that, etc. I try to write the important licks first and at least get started on them (although usually I end up not liking them and changing them later) to write the song around.

Then I start writing the more basic stuff like the rhythm parts of the song and the parts where singing would happen if I wasn't too lazy to write lyrics.

Then I go back and add the bass and drum parts, and then finally at the end write the solos.

Here's a song I wrote for an example. Disregard the lyrics, I was planning on jokingly writing it about starcraft lol. BTW props to anyone who guesses which song I based the form off of (I based it almost exactly in this one... I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who's familiar with the song).

http://rapidshare.com/files/157983138/The_Away_Team.gp4.html

let me know what you think of it :) I think the solos came out well... although of course I just stole almost all the licks from alexi lol (and maybe some from roope, can't remember).

@ Mitch and reaperscythe:

Hey dudes! Would you like to do a little sound comparing with me? We all have a Korg PX4D and it would be interesting to hear the difference between our guitars (a RR1 with J50-BC now?, a LTD 200 with EMG81 and a LTD 600 with blackout) when we use nearly exactly the same settings.
I would say we play only the first rythm guitar of You're better off dead bars 59-75 (no BT, no 2nd guitar) and use the following settings:

GAIN: between 4 and 5,5
BASS: let's say 6 but it depents on your pickup
Treble: between 8 and 10
Volume: 10 of course
DYNA: Phasout between 2 and 4
AMP: US HI-G 10
CAB: 2x 12 BLK
no effects.

What do you say?

When I write music, I generally first try to consolidate my thoughts into what style I want the song to be in, since I listen to a lot of different styles of metal.

Ahh right! I sometimes do this, like, if I'm just writing and acoustic song, or one thats just completely distorted, and from then I write riffs and stuff

Then I usually think up a (I don't lay it out, just make sure I have it organized in my head) general form for the song and layout... I'll often steal these from other songs as there's not much you can do anymore that's innovative in terms of the form of the song.

When I come to arranging pieces (unless I've arranged them as I've written them) I tend to look at other songs and see what they've done, e.g. Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus + Transposition (up 2 frets or something) then a break/interlude, solo (how ever many solos I'll write) then back to the chorus or something

Then usually the first thing I try to do that's actually writing is come up with a solid lick to represent the song. If the song has an intro with a lick, then I'll write that. If the verse is lick-based, I'll write that. If the chorus is lick-based, I'll write that, etc. I try to write the important licks first and at least get started on them (although usually I end up not liking them and changing them later) to write the song around.

Again, I do it slightly similar. If I'm just messing about and play something and think, "hmm, that'd be a pretty good chorus" or something like that, then it'll be a chorus, same for introductions and melodies.

And yeah, I will listen to the song a few times, think "wow!" then play it a bit, go back to it later and think, "what was I thinking?!"

Then I start writing the more basic stuff like the rhythm parts of the song and the parts where singing would happen if I wasn't too lazy to write lyrics.

Lyrics tend to come last for me, unless I'm in a lyric writing mood, in which case I try not to make the music simple, and just fit around the words.

Then I go back and add the bass and drum parts, and then finally at the end write the solos.

If I'm not happy with something I always add drums, as it livens the piece of music up tenfold! And I must admit, I'm pretty good at writing drum parts!

As for bass parts they are pretty simple, follow same notes as guitar, but the same rhythm as the drums. Sometimes I'll go to town and write bass melodies and walking bass lines with octave/5th leaps.

Here's a song I wrote for an example. Disregard the lyrics, I was planning on jokingly writing it about starcraft lol. BTW props to anyone who guesses which song I based the form off of (I based it almost exactly in this one... I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who's familiar with the song).

http://rapidshare.com/files/157983138/The_Away_Team.gp4.html

let me know what you think of it :) I think the solos came out well... although of course I just stole almost all the licks from alexi lol (and maybe some from roope, can't remember).

That didn't work for me :( Can you upload it onto www.sendspace.com ?

And you all thought Jose was the best at multiquoting his replies :D

Daaa~m, I want to say I know what song that's based off, but just can't remember! Something by Rhapsody of Fire, I believe.

Hey dudes! Would you like to do a little sound comparing with me? We all have a Korg PX4D and it would be interesting to hear the difference between our guitars (a RR1 with J50-BC now?, a LTD 200 with EMG81 and a LTD 600 with blackout) when we use nearly exactly the same settings.
I would say we play only the first rythm guitar of You're better off dead bars 59-75 (no BT, no 2nd guitar) and use the following settings:

no effects.

What do you say?

Sounds good. Although mine is the PX4 (no D) and I'm still using EMG81 in my RR1 because Nazgul told me you can't mix active & passive pickups, so I might record it twice...once with RR1 and another time with Stars RR because one's poplar with EMG81 & the other is alder with J-50BC so they sound pretty different.

Just confirm the bars again, 'cause I checked the tab on the first page and bar 59 is half way through a riff.

Fine, bars 59-75 are correct when we have the same tab. It's the chorus and the first bar of the first solo. So the RR1 has active pickups in it? Didn't know that.
OK, I will record mine now.

...shit, stringbreak

Btw. wasn't their a guy in the guitar players thread with a J-50BC, a Seymour Duncan blackout and a gainboost in his SV? lol

hmmm ok. I kind of wanted to do the solo together, like we would both play the whole thing with harmonies here and there. butttt it's ok if it can't work out that way. Could I at least see the tabs for what you have already?

Ok I can try and see if I can work out a tab at least for the harmonised parts so you can record the harmonies and add them to the solo. I'll try to provide you with a tab today or tomorrow if I have a bit of time. I have only a pentatonic lick written atm :lol:

Jose is still the undisputed king of multiquoting:p

True, I don't think anyone comes close to his mad skillz!

:lol::lol::lol:

Which guitar did you use for this record? Your Stars or your RR1?

OK, here's mine:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ujab76

My sound is let's say 95% the same you have - when I play over my headphones - but my cable scrapes and makes it sound weird. Or my battery is empty, don't know.

Can you tell me the exact settings for this recording?

Mine are:

Gain: 4
Bass: 4
Treble: full
Volume: full

Dyna: Phasout 2.0
Amp: US HI-g 10.0
Cab: 2 x 12 BLK 6.0
NR: 8.3

Strings: DR 0.10 - 0.52
MM04 off

recorded with adobe audition 3.0

But I have to say that the US MDN Amp sounds a bit better...

Let's wait what reaperscythe will record...

I like yours more. The blackout sounds good.

I don't remember the EXACT settings but it was what you wrote the first time. I used the RR1 with EMG81...

And yes Tim, it does, but they're not my settings. Personally, I dislike it but it's what Arcane asked for. I don't like this guitar for rhythm tones through the PX4 but with the GP-1000/ADA MP-1 cranked up, it sounds fucking awesome.

I like yours more. The blackout sounds good.

I don't remember the EXACT settings but it was what you wrote the first time. I used the RR1 with EMG81...

And yes Tim, it does, but they're not my settings. Personally, I dislike it but it's what Arcane asked for. I don't like this guitar for rhythm tones through the PX4 but with the GP-1000/ADA MP-1 cranked up, it sounds fucking awesome.
I don't know... I also don't like it so much for rythm. I'm searching for the lead tone in Annihilators Downright Dominate which is the best tone I've ever heard or a tone similar to the JCM 2000 oder KK.

no effects.

What do you say?
Good idea!

here's mine
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7010920