Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

@Arcane: Hatebreeder was cool (at least better than what will come from me :lol:) and the tone is great, but I agree with marfal, I think you can go better. Not exactly sloopy, because it was quite clean playing, just that some stuff could have been better.

IYF wasn't bad at all IMO, I think that the weakest one was LDB's melody, but then the riff was cool.

Recording of the Week - Hatebreeder (Bars 1 - 32)

*Advanced* - Hatebreeder (First Solo - Bars 204 - 213)

Cool!

I didn't contribute to the thread so far because I'm not really interested in covering bodom all the time. But Arcane's idea is good and I hope you don't mind that I join with a different guitar:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yyzyo7

Ibanez RG 2820 (Prestige Series obviously)
Bolt-on neck
DiMarzio/Ibanez passive humbucker

My thoughts are, that the basic sound is not so far away from your active pickups, but that it needs more gain to sound cranked. That's why I like passive pick ups, by the way.
All in all, the settings didn't really fit that guitar.

Maybe I should give the PX4D a second chance, I record with my Toneport all the time.

Nice to see another person with a Korg. Corny's, reaperscythe's and my recording got nearly the same sound I think but Mitch - you break a bit out of column.
Anyone else here with a Korg?
And would it be to much work for you guys to record it again but with the settings which fits best for you and tell me the settings?

Here'S mine again: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vr58up

Settings:

Gain: 5.0
Bass: 8
Treble: 10
Dyn: Phasout 2.7
Amp: US MDN 10
Cab :2 x 12 BLK 6.0

I love both these tones, much better than mine, imo.

Mitch's solo tone sounds simply great because of his fingers. He has a great vibrato and a good playing feeling in general, that's what many people forget.

:oops: (And yes, it's a very important factor)

Hey guys, inspired by flappy's wrath within ROTW recording, I just recorded a full cover of wrath within! Easily one of my favorite cob songs.

Check it out and tell me what you think :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyap_DOQ2Og

Nice man! Like the others said, a few bits to be worked on but I know exactly how it feels to play a full song all the way through without making a single mistake, and it's not easy.

Recording of the Week - Hatebreeder (Bars 1 - 32)

*Advanced* - Hatebreeder (First Solo - Bars 204 - 213)

Sweet. I've actually recorded the ROTW in the right week this time! And I also spend a good few hours trying to get some of the recent ones done.

Week 24: Bed Of Razors - Intro & Solo:
I tried an Yngwie type mix on this. One rhythm guitar panned about 50% L and then the lead about 50% R. The harmonies at the end suck, the tone got worse when I panned them out.

The solo is pretty much the same as the album, except for the outro lick. I used the same mixing technique for this bit too.

Week 25: Chokehold - Intro & Solo:
I had to really kill the gain for this, so the tone might sound a bit dry, but it had to be this way, otherwise it sounded too muddy and without clarity.

I've never actually practised any part of this song before, but I know HOW to play the riffs, so I wasn't exactly comfortable with it but I don't think it came out too bad.

Week 27: Hatebreeder - Intro & 1st Solo:
I don't like the tone of this when it all kicks in and the ascending triplet thing in harmony wasn't easy to play.

For the solo section, I did the Yngwie mix again, with just one rhythm guitar on the left and then the lead panned slightly to the right with some chorus on to give it a stereo effect. (This solo was easier than the entire intro!)

I used the Jackson Stars RR for all three, so I had to be prepared to get annoyed with the tone, but some of them came out ok. I didn't want to spend too long with these, 'cuz there was something else I wanted to attend to before the night was over.

I dont know if i already posted this but here is my weak attempt on Bed of Razors ...

Bed of Razors (Intro)
http://www.file-upload.net/download-1222367/BedofRazors-Intro-.mp3.html

And beware, that squeal really sucks and my lead is not the final version (I played it twice before recording :D )

@Mitch:

I would say you play that pretty much amazing, but your gain really is to weak.
Dont worry, it wont lose so much of the clarity like mine (because you can actually play) :D

Hey mitch, could you put those covers on soundclick? I don't know if my university has blocked the site (dunno why they would, and I doubt this is the problem anyways since they never block anything) or if it's some problem with my computer, but I haven't been able to access sendspace for over a week.

Hey mitch, could you put those covers on soundclick? I don't know if my university has blocked the site (dunno why they would, and I doubt this is the problem anyways since they never block anything) or if it's some problem with my computer, but I haven't been able to access sendspace for over a week.

They're on Soundclick. Link is in Tim's sig or the first post.

zirkonflex, thanks for the comments, but I'd rather have lower gain than a little too much.

Hey guise, I haven't contributed to this thread, so I think I'll do it now.

Tried desperately to do the Blooddrunk solo, and I fail at that fast run:erk:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9kcn4

1225295335158.jpg

:)

What is it with the beginning? :) It's sounds not bad, the tone is really good but yeah, it needs a bit more practise. Not only the beginning. I think you can do it better.

What is it with the beginning? :) It's sounds not bad, the tone is really good but yeah, it needs a bit more practise. Not only the beginning. I think you can do it better.

Beginning.. uhh... I dunno, random fretage:zombie:

Thanks man for the constructive criticism, I was not in mah prime when recording that, late at night, room is too warm, everything going wrong etcetc..

Lately I haven't been practising so much, I need to practise more.