Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

Beginning.. uhh... I dunno, random fretage:zombie:

Thanks man for the constructive criticism, I was not in mah prime when recording that, late at night, room is too warm, everything going wrong etcetc..

Lately I haven't been practising so much, I need to practise more.

Yes, i can say its not perfectly practised :)D)
But also some of the bends seemed to be a bit out of place, but elsewhere it was good :)

Well, my last recordings are all made with my blackout. I will record the full Laid to Rest song tomorrow - really good to hear my blackout - but I thought I've send you a p.m. with a hz-blackout comparison?

well, this solo is so damn short that'S it's really hard to make it sound sloppy.
why do not play the complete solo?!?!?!?!?!? so for all other contributors - play the whole damn solo!!!
anyway, good playing!
We'll see :D

well, this solo is so damn short that'S it's really hard to make it sound sloppy.
why do not play the complete solo?!?!?!?!?!? so for all other contributors - play the whole damn solo!!!
anyway, good playing!

Haha, blame Tim, since he only specified the 1st solo. But I think I will do a video of all the solos or maybe audio, dunno yet.

Well done everyone who has contributed so far! I'm currently practising the solo, so I can get it just right! :D Nothing particularly tricky about it, thankfully!

And also, we seem to have had an increase in the number of contributions recently, which is good! I'm gonna get all the old ones done soon! :D

Wohoo! I'm fucking out of date with the recording stuff! I have to give those a go, but there are some things that I won't be able to manage :lol:

I love both these tones, much better than mine, imo.

:oops: (And yes, it's a very important factor)

Nice man! Like the others said, a few bits to be worked on but I know exactly how it feels to play a full song all the way through without making a single mistake, and it's not easy.

Sweet. I've actually recorded the ROTW in the right week this time! And I also spend a good few hours trying to get some of the recent ones done.

Week 24: Bed Of Razors - Intro & Solo:
I tried an Yngwie type mix on this. One rhythm guitar panned about 50% L and then the lead about 50% R. The harmonies at the end suck, the tone got worse when I panned them out.

The solo is pretty much the same as the album, except for the outro lick. I used the same mixing technique for this bit too.

Week 25: Chokehold - Intro & Solo:
I had to really kill the gain for this, so the tone might sound a bit dry, but it had to be this way, otherwise it sounded too muddy and without clarity.

I've never actually practised any part of this song before, but I know HOW to play the riffs, so I wasn't exactly comfortable with it but I don't think it came out too bad.

Week 27: Hatebreeder - Intro & 1st Solo:
I don't like the tone of this when it all kicks in and the ascending triplet thing in harmony wasn't easy to play.

For the solo section, I did the Yngwie mix again, with just one rhythm guitar on the left and then the lead panned slightly to the right with some chorus on to give it a stereo effect. (This solo was easier than the entire intro!)

I used the Jackson Stars RR for all three, so I had to be prepared to get annoyed with the tone, but some of them came out ok. I didn't want to spend too long with these, 'cuz there was something else I wanted to attend to before the night was over.

BOR: Cool! I liked the last improvised bit a lot dude!

Chockehold: Nice! It's quite tricky to nail the riff IMO, but you did a great job. But has to be said that the solo pwns the riff :lol: Really nice playing!

HB: A bit more gain could be cool but if it'd fuck up the sound then it's great like it is, I actually enjoyed it a lot. I think is the better one out of the three, although Chockehold's solo comes as a close 2nd.

Hey guise, I haven't contributed to this thread, so I think I'll do it now.

Tried desperately to do the Blooddrunk solo, and I fail at that fast run:erk:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9kcn4

EDIT: also, add http://www.youtube.com/user/EnsiGeetard to my name in the first post:) old account got deleted:(

I think it's quite good!

I dont know if i already posted this but here is my weak attempt on Bed of Razors ...

Bed of Razors (Intro)
http://www.file-upload.net/download-1222367/BedofRazors-Intro-.mp3.html

And beware, that squeal really sucks and my lead is not the final version (I played it twice before recording :D )

@Mitch:

I would say you play that pretty much amazing, but your gain really is to weak.
Dont worry, it wont lose so much of the clarity like mine (because you can actually play) :D

I've tried a little tone test with my Korg. Tell me what you think (the last speed run ist totally improvised and the acoustic part is a bit sloppy).
Laid to Rest

I think it was a cool one. The acoustic tone could be a bit thicker if you know what I mean but I think it was cool. The distorted lead tone was awesome.

anyway, good playing!

What if we can't play it at all? :lol:

There you go sweetheart :D

- Hatebreeder: all solo's
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7025766

Re-recorded the 1st solo.
Advice very welcome! :)

Really cool man! I really liked it, specially the last bit.

Thanks Jose, I think I like the last bit the best too.
I recorded that bit 2 times and panned the one left and the other right.
And it's probably the easiest part of the solo :p

^Downloading, I'll edit and comment when it's done, cos this time the file is fucking huge and it's taking a bit to download :lol:

Meanwhile...

ROTW - Wrath Within

Thanks Jose, I think I like the last bit the best too.
I recorded that bit 2 times and panned the one left and the other right.
And it's probably the easiest part of the solo :p

I do that (double recording and panning) when it sounds too distorted with one non panned track. I don't know why but it sounds less aggressive and less noisy that way :ill:

About that bit being the easier part of the solo I disagree, but anyway it's all difficult and I can't manage it atm so maybe I'm wrong :lol:

ROTW - Wrath Within

Ja Mann! sounds pretty cool but plz don't use to much chorus in your solo. I know it makes it sound wider but without effects or only a little reverb in your lead it always sounds 'more real' if you know what I mena

^

and

Ja Mann! sounds pretty cool but plz don't use to much chorus in your solo. I know it makes it sound wider but without effects or only a little reverb in your lead it always sounds 'more real' if you know what I mena

:lol: Damn chorus! :lol:

I actually used it because I always found the lead tone too weak or too noisy and it gave it a bit wider effect, but it kind of looses strength, so I don't know what I'm going to do :erk: How was it playing-wise?

BTW Arcane I forgot to comment on the LTR recording: it was fucking cool, and I think the acoustic tone rocked this time. Also the playing was quite tight. Good job!

Ähm Jose, I think you ignored your quote to my post :D (or am I wrong ?) :loco:

And yours was really good playing wise but I didnt like the sound to much, the distance thing again :/