Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

Why don't you ask him about the tone then? I must admit that cover was damn awesome (his cover that is )

I did multiple times, he doesn't respond to comments :erk: And yes his cover is pretty cool I must admit.

As a non-violinist guy I must admit that his cover was pretty cool while I had to stop listening to yours since your tone was unbearable. And I don't think it was just the tone, but what do I know. Maybe your technique is better, maybe not.

*shrug* What matters to the general audience doesn't matter to the people familiar w/ the specifics and vice versa. That's part of the reason I post stuff around, to get the various responses and see what I can improve.

It's hard to comment on something when I can't even play the instrument. All I can say is it sounded like you were playing it good, but the tone was just not very great IMO.

I know personally I would prefer it if it were less harsh sounding. I really don't know how else to put it. If it were a guitar I would say turn down the highs and gain, but I'm not sure what went into making that violin tone.

Guys just a question,I find the RTHAB solo pretty easy but really,how the hell do you manage to get that fucking pinched harmonic on the 22 fret?It doesn't work for me and even when i catch it,it sounds so low.

I know personally I would prefer it if it were less harsh sounding. I really don't know how else to put it. If it were a guitar I would say turn down the highs and gain, but I'm not sure what went into making that violin tone.

Roughly same thing as guitar tone, I assure you. My treble is almost at min. anyway, but I guess I could EQ afterwards. I did turn up the gain, I guess too much. Will also try to mess around with that amp-modeling software I have. So thanks for the suggestions.

Hi!

Had to try this out too. Sloppy as fuck.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5VS4M6zDC4&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

Great playing Epi! Maybe a sloppy note here and there but I guess there would be a lot of people who wouldn't even notice it, keep it up!

It's not a cover but I don't know where to post it. We should make a thread for 'Solo cover', shouldn't we?

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to try this out too. Sloppy as fuck.

Come on, it had two mistakes, otherwise sounded pretty much perfect. I'm glad you didn't sell that guitar (to me) it's in better hands now. As a boyfriend to a guitar I'm quite distant, inexperienced and clumsy.

I tried to contain myself but I can't any longer...

Sloppier than last time, but w/e.

This shit always bothers me. What's the point of posting something sloppy? Do you think ppl wanna hear sloppy playing? I usually just post about covers to give advice to people who are actually trying, but I gotta put my flame hat on for a sec here..

I'm going to say what everyone is thinking, but people are too nice. All of your versions of Ugly on violin suck, plain and simple. It's not in time, the notes don't even sound right, playing is shit, and it hurts to listen to. I don't understand why you would even post it, because surely you know it's bad also. Don't even worry about tone if you can't play it. As a matter of fact, Ugly is a trashy song that doesn't blend with violin in the first place (could be wrong about that, maybe some virtuoso out there can add violin to this song and make it something good but I doubt it).

I'm going to have agree with those who say play this shit on a guitar. The bed of razors on violin I enjoyed, but it really does change the song. Before listening, I thought violin with bed of razors would add extra atmosphere and mystery but that's not the case. That version of bed of razors sounds like some kind of adventure song for Lord of the Rings, but that's actually why I enjoy it. Your version of Ugly captures neither the atmosphere of the original nor anything remotely pleasing. It sounds like someone trying to play the song but drunk as fuck playing through a $25 practice amp and a metal-zone pedal.

I'm not flaming for the sake of flaming. I felt like it had to be said... the thread was producing a lot of good covers until now. : )

i have do a cover of Tie my rope but it only the audio!!!im trying to find an other tone with my mesa triple rectifier!! and sorry at 2:23 if the sound change a little bit my dog have move my mic :p!!and please comment!!!tell me what do you think!

For better sound Watch in 1080p!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I re-recorded that cover, acoustic and a different distorted setup as per suggestions. Sloppier than last time, but w/e. More opinions welcome.

Acoustic: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10520635
Distorted v.2: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10520634

The acoustic thing was definitely better for my ears. What I don't like is all chords you play. It doesn't sound good on violin. And maybe you should try to record over line-in next time and not mic it.
wow
i have do a cover of Tie my rope but it only the audio!!!im trying to find an other tone with my mesa triple rectifier!! and sorry at 2:23 if the sound change a little bit my dog have move my mic :p!!and please comment!!!tell me what do you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCzPgWPdQKo

For better sound Watch in 1080p!
The rythm parts are ok, the leads are a bit sloppy and I think you have too much distortion in it. And your backing track really sucks :lol: What's wrong with your keys, snare and kick? They really sound terrible! Oh and next time try to put a bit more stereo/room into your cover

The acoustic thing was definitely better for my ears. What I don't like is all chords you play. It doesn't sound good on violin. And maybe you should try to record over line-in next time and not mic it.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the chords >__> Violin plays chords all the time usually, probably just sounds weird because of the pickups... Or is it a bad choice of chords? The chorus is sorta improvised. And that's recorded through line-in... well, USB, but same difference - instrument plugged directly into PC.

And thanks for responding.

Oh, and Norbix can fuck off, he's on my ignore list. I'm guessing he's trolling as usual.

Maybe the chords sound weird/wrong because I compare them too much with a guitar... And if it's recorded through line in, then you definitely have to work on how to mix dude :lol:

wow

The rythm parts are ok, the leads are a bit sloppy and I think you have too much distortion in it. And your backing track really sucks :lol: What's wrong with your keys, snare and kick? They really sound terrible! Oh and next time try to put a bit more stereo/room into your cover

for the key do you know a good plugin ???and for drum it ez drummer drum kit from hell but i cant change the patch of sound maybe a bug i need to reinstall it for distortion i think i have to much play with the EQ...i dont realy how it work!!lol :err: ...what do you mean stereo room ...it like little reverb over all the mix ?

Maybe the chords sound weird/wrong because I compare them too much with a guitar... And if it's recorded through line in, then you definitely have to work on how to mix dude :lol:

For the chords, I use the notes from the same basic chord usually, but no necessarily the notes guitar is playing.

For mixing, most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing. Know any good guides where I can read up? Just something basic, I don't wanna read a fucking book about it (though maybe I should at some point).