Children of Bodom....?

emjayhaych

Itching to join the fray
Jul 8, 2002
North-west UK
Visit site
Hey,

I'd heard of them since a while back, so thought I'd have a listen, and I downloaded 'Follow the reaper' the title cut from their latest album. I like the music, guitars, pianos, etc, the vocals are kinda In Flames-esque....don't bite my head off on that one, I just mean they're shrieky basically.....
Anyway, i like that song, but i d/loaded a couple more and thought they were pretty crap - just wondering if anyone wants to argue, i mean do you think they're any good?
Sorry, not a very meaty post, but I'm bored.

Eh, I'm not sure what I think about Children of Bodom. When I'm in the mood to just listen to something really fast and technical (in terms of guitar/keyboard talent, I'd say that they're pretty technical), I'll listen. I'm not so sure I like their singer though...growing on me a little, I guess. I hear them compared to Kalmah a lot, and I'd have to say that I like Kalmah better, based on the few clips I've heard. I think they have a better singer.

i heard a few CoB songs. impressive guitars indeed (read: impressive <> well-sounding), but the vocals are fucked up beyond all recognition.

yeah indeed and i am VERY proud of it :)
nma rank among my favourite bands still, although they lost something of their agressivness the last years. can't blame them for that, they must be around 40 now.

np: therapy - knives

yep, these were bands i listened a lot to earlier, but it's nice to put them on now and again.
you are right, eight is rather shallow, but it as well has its nice tunes (like snelsmore wood & flying through the smoke). but still i value the older albums a lot more.

Yeah... I don't really listen to them so much these days but they bring back some happy memories and I prefer to keep it that way. I never realy listened so much to Eight, when I bought it I was more interested in black metal and the like. I should get it out tomorrow and listen to it.

well i saw them last year on a festival and i was rather disappointed... but that may well be because of the memories connected to earlier times, as you said. if you don't already own it, be sure to get their "b-sides and abandoned tracks" album, which is one of the most dverse and interesting ones of them... sad they all were intended as b-sides but good they found their way out of the drawer :)

vc (buries the hatchet with a smile and a curse)

CoB have some fairly entertaining songs. Most of their music is hideously repetitive though. They have a formula, and refuse to change it. Like most power metal bands really (and most CoB fans seem to be into power metal). If you can take music that is trepidly repetitive and unoriginal, they are a band for you.

Vulture, yeah I've got B-Sides... I mean you have to give kudos to a band whose B-sides outdo most other band's album tracks.

As for CoB:

I think the first album hinted at what they could do with their brand of technical death-tinged power metal, but lacked the real killer blow. Hatebreeder is great, the sound is raw enough to give it impact and clean enough to not detract from the music, the melodies are very infectious and the solos are plain nuts. As for Follow The Reaper, it's too cosy and warmly produced, not vicious enough... kind of sounds like the band has begun to rest on it's laurels.

well i never got much out of CoB... any guitarist would probably kill me for this, but: i also don't like dream theater. may they all be unique musicians with style and skill, but what they perform together just sounds horrible to my ears. the same with CoB. i don't blame ppl for appreciating the guitarwork, but does it really sound good? no. i tend to listen for example o meshuggah, but i don't really like the music, i'm just awed by the drummer :) seems there have to be bands like these...
vc (in no man's land, the days are long)

np: soundgarden: the day i tried to live
oh, the good ol' memories :)

They're alright. Some people really really REALLY like them b/c of the "technical" aspect.. *shrug*

they're ok though..

I remember last time there was a COB thread on here it turned into a massive flamewar.. good to see that hasn't happened again.. \m/

I don't care about the solos, I think I'd like them with or without those.. Hatebreeder is a great album!! Listen to songs like "Towards Dead End" or "Silent Night, Bodom Night" or "Black Widow" - great melodies and great riffs.

As for the vocals.. actually I like them too :) Yeah, he does sound like a cat, but oh well *roar*

Cob was good but new single You Better Off Dead kinda dissapointed me.
COB: I´ts very technical but lyrics and vocals compared to DT are kindergarten level.
But Silent Night, Bodom Night is still one of my faves all-time.

@vultureculture; @on the edge of forever: i read all you said about nma with a passion. :) they're very near the top of my list too. :)
and i liked eight a lot better than strange brotherhood, btw. i think although the aggressiveness of the start is gone, the "magic" is still there in songs like you weren't there, orange tree roads and r&r...
i also got the the new double cd's with b-sides and unrelesead demos: as always the demos outshines many album tracks and they're full of food for thoughts. :eek:

as a side: @emjayhaych: it's ok, we like to discuss other bands. could you just use the "check this band" thread in the future? so as to avoid the same ol' flood problem. ;)

rahvin.

@rahvin
i saw them live thrice until now, and each gig they somehow lost a bit of their magic, dunno how. that's why i lately didn't hear any of their albums. maybe i should do again. and i should get the second b-sides thing :)
strange brotherhood was indeed a bit strange. but everything before that release is definetely worth purchasing imo.

Rahvin>

Yeah, I've got the Double CD b-sides collection, at first I wasn't so keen but it really grew on me after a few listens. I got it for £4.20 too, which is probably my bargain of the year (Either that or Atheist's Elements and Pestilence's "Testimony of the Ancients" for £6 each).

Personally I get a lot more out of Strange Brotherhood than I do Eight, I think the driving rock vibe of some of the songs really make them standout. And Lullaby is just the perfect album closer. I think there's maybe one song on that album I don't like (Headlights). SB is probably my third favourite album:

1. Thunder and Consolation
= Ghost of Cain
3. Strange Brotherhood

I've only seen NMA live once and that was in support of SB, they really blew me away, especially Justin Sullivan doing some songs solo at the beginning of the set. Excellent, Excellent show.