Children of Bodom

Dec 23, 2005
What genre are Children of Bodom? I've heard from many people that they're black metal but they seem far from black metal to me. I guess their early stuff has the vocal style of black metal but that's about it.

oftentimes, while staring at the lurid glow of san francisco from accross the bay on drear and drizzly nights, i find myself pondering this same question, dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34.

I've absolutely never seen anyone refer to them as black metal. Ever. Probably because that would be quite a silly thing to do indeed.

I have no idea what genre they are. I personally think they are some mix between thrash/speed metal and power metal with some of that neoclassical wankery mixed in.

Definitely Power Metal, and they are extremely over rated in my humble opinion. They only stand out cos of harsh vocals.

The Bringer said:
I beg the differ! MTV called them black metal in the first sentence of their bio about the band.

And on a side note, probably the worst vocals in metal. Even worse than Chris Barnes.

Dude at least Alexi Laihou has some melody to his vocals. Chris Barnes has toneless growls that never change throughout 10+ cds. And another thing fuck what MTV said. You can never rely on them.

they do suck Alexi Laihou sounds like he has a dick in his mouth. and the people at mtv are a bunch of stupid bitches.

I think they're a good band. Alexi is an excellent guitarist.

Stormwatch said:
I've seen people on here in the past claim Dimmu and CoF are black metal. And I'm not talking about n00bs either.
But they're clearly NOT BM. And they're crap anyway.

Cradle of Filth is not black metal but are still a good band. Dimmu Borgir is black metal but more mainstream than some people would like. That's probably why a lot of people don't consider them black metal.