Children of Bodom. Old fans a little annoyed?

whata57

Aug 2, 2007
I think it is obvious that in their last two albums Children of Bodom have gone mainstream. Now, I love Bodom and have done for 4 years (am 15 now...) but i am a little annoyed that it has taken this long for them to be recognised as a decent band, and possibly for the wrong reasons. eg. their last two albums...

I like all bodom stuff but here are the questions i put to you. 1) Can you be a true bodom fan if you like the old stuff but not the new?
2) Can you be a true bodom fan if you like the new stuff but not the old?

Personally i say yes to the first and no to the second. The new Bodom is cool but it isn't the reason i got into them in the first place.

What do you guys think?

I think everything up to and including Hate Crew Deathroll is quite alright, but I don't really listen to them much in favour of better bands.

youve been on this forum a year and still listening to COB? you are doing something wrong mate

I think thats a little unfair...i listen to all metal really. Other than metalcore and that sort of crap! Bodom are an awesome band, and who ever said their music lacked substance is way off! Their music is probably the most complex in the scene! Or at least it was...

Anyway, it's good to see that those of you that DO like them agree with me. The older stuff is way better, Hatecrew Deathroll being the best of all imho.

I know it's not really on topic in my own thread but...i get the impression from the majority of the forum that people don't seem to like Devildriver too much!? They are AWESOME, anyone else like them?

I don't care how a band sounds "now" as opposed to how they sounded "then". I think people try to look outside the music too much. Bands change. Tastes change. You'll never hear me say "I hate that band because they sound mainstream". You will hear me say "I hate that band because of how they sound to me". I could give two shits what anyone in the underground or mainstream thinks of a band. I kinda/sorta think Are You Dead Yet? is one of their better albums, but I don't listen to it & think "OMG that sounds like pussy radio pop music so I should hate it". I've never once in my life heard Bodom being played on FM radio. I think AYDY? has some good tracks on it.

I don't really like Bodom very much, but I sure as fuck don't hate them. I'm no fan boy, but I can recognize talent when I hear it. The thing I don't like about Bodom is that their music is not aesthetically pleasing for more than 2-3 songs. They're not varied in their approach & much of the songwriting is very moot. It's just all together unrewarding music. The biggest thing they offer me would be some pretty decent stuff to learn on guitar.