Choosing Destination Paths in Reaper (not a noob question)

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
ok, maybe it could be a noob question that im just completely overlooking the answer.

BUT my problem is as followed:

i like to have my recorded/peak files saved onto a separate hard drive to keep from cluttering up my main (C:) drive, so i would always have them sent to my storage (E:) drive. so i go to the paths preferences and it says that my E: drive is selected as my destination paths, yet all my files are being sent to my desktop. WTF?!

ive never had this problem before, and im sure you can imagine how annoying it is to have your desktop BEYOND filled with hundreds upon thousands of media/peak files.

my best guess is maybe there is a bug in the latest version of Reaper, but i have no idea. if anybody has any ideas, PLEASE share! this is bugging the hell out me!

One of my machines did this, briefly. I saved the project to a new folder, it was fine after that. Still millions of files in that folder, obviously, but it can at least be wherever you want it.

ok, maybe it could be a noob question that im just completely overlooking the answer.

i like to have my recorded/peak files saved onto a separate hard drive to keep from cluttering up my main (C:) drive, so i would always have them sent to my storage (E:) drive. so i go to the paths preferences and it says that my E: drive is selected as my destination paths, yet all my files are being sent to my desktop. WTF?!

ive never had this problem before, and im sure you can imagine how annoying it is to have your desktop BEYOND filled with hundreds upon thousands of media/peak files.

my best guess is maybe there is a bug in the latest version of Reaper, but i have no idea. if anybody has any ideas, PLEASE share! this is bugging the hell out me!

You're doing something wrong... I'm not sure why your files are on the desktop, but here are some tips.

1. There's an option in Reaper's preferences somewhere to save ALL reapeak graphic files to a single folder. I have mine in the Reaper directory in a folder called Reapeaks. A lot of people do this, because it's annoying having a bunch of reapeak files mixed in with actual audio files. Also, it doesn't matter if this folder ever accidentally gets deleted... Reapeaks are rebuilt when the project loads if they weren't found.

2. Don't store ALL your audio files from various projects in one location. I have folders for each artist I work with (including myself). Within those I have album/EP/demo folders. Within those are folders for each project (each song). Each project (song) has its own audio subfolder for all audio files used in the project. Much more organized this way.

3. Make sure to use Reaper's File -> Clean current project directory... to delete all of your old/unused takes.

I do the same as described, don't save all the audio in the same place because one day you will accidentally delete a take and it will be a pain to find it again in the mess, eventhough my take files have the date and time in their titles.

To clean the project, "glue" items a maximum, and then clean as described. Eventually you should end with a file by instrument/DI/whatever. Go in preferences for the item, choose "rename file" to "bass.wav" for example, and you have now a perfectly clean project directory with easy to read files.

I personnally record the wavs to a specific folder within the project folder, and another folder called "sources" contains guitar pro files for the song, .txt explanations for the future, original files, whatever I feel appropriate of I need to remix that again in a future where I'm not using reaper anymore.

my takes have the date, time, instrument and track number in the file name (for example, 20-GtrLead-111227_1815) so im not worried about them being jumbled in a big mess. just how to get them off my desktop and into the folder(s) i want them to be in!

but that is good info on cleaning up unused takes!

I have a blog post scheduled to post in a couple days on this subject at http://reaperblog.net

There are two parts to setting the peaks cache folder.
Open preferences, set the alternate peaks path in General>Paths
Next enable storing the peaks in alternate path in the Media preferences.

I store mine in a temp folder on the desktop and delete it every few days. (peaks automatically rebuild as needed)

I'm not able to get the sidebar to look how I like with the WP tools so I'm going to have to code it manually. A feed button will definitely be there.

Anyway here's the feed url http://reaperblog.net/feed/
you can add /feed or /rss to the end of most websites to get the feed.

What I normally do is click this +RSS button bookmarklet to add any site to google reader. Copy the code and save it as a bookmark.

Code:
javascript:var%20b=document.body;if(b&&!document.xmlVersion){void(z=document.createElement('script'));void(z.src='http://www.google.com/reader/ui/subscribe-bookmarklet.js');void(b.appendChild(z));}else{location='http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/'+encodeURIComponent(location.href)}