Chris Broderick will fill in for Smyth on the upcoming Nevermore tour

MetalSteph

Sep 14, 2001
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, APRIL 30TH, 2006

NEVERMORE GUITARIST DIAGNOSED WITH KIDNEY DISEASE, LIMITED TOUR PLANS ANNOUNCED

Nevermore guitarist Steve Smyth has been recently diagnosed with end stage kidney failure, the result of a congenital birth defect.

Says Smyth: “ I have been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, and have been advised to preserve my health as much as possible at this time, as I am facing “complete renal failure” within six months, and ultimately, a transplant. Due to my recently diagnosed condition, I have decided not to join the band on the In Flames US tour. I want to be fair to the fans, and be able to give them a show I know I can deliver night after night. I will, however, join Nevermore on all four of the European festivals on our itinerary in early June: Gods of Metal, Rock Hard, Rott Fest, and Sweden Rock, after which, the doctors should have some news about the next step in my treatment. I will say this: I will fight this, and I will be back!”

Jag Panzer guitarist Chris Broderick will fill in for Smyth on the upcoming US tour, after which Smyth will rejoin the band for the aforementioned European festival dates. For more from Smyth about his health situation and future career plans, please visit www.stevesmyth.com

While it will be nice to see Chris, I really feel for Steve. He's a nice guy - one of the nicest I've met on this merry-go-round - and this has got to be rough. He's got a good attitude about it, though, which is half the battle, so...

He was also very cool about Chris filling in for him. From his site:

"The band has hired on Chris Broderick to fill in for my absence during this time, and I have complete faith that Chris will go out there and kick ass and do a great job!" -Steve Smyth

Lopes said:
Damn man, the Nevermore dudes are all fucked up, first Warrel, then Jim, and now Steve. Good luck Chris, and be sure to pack your haz-mat suit.
Hey man! I'm not fucked up anymore!!...and Jim is having routine test procedures...his doc just said they should be done now,he's gonna be fine, and we're all holding positive thoughts for Steve right now!

Sentient 6 said:
Hey man! I'm not fucked up anymore!!...and Jim is having routine test procedures...his doc just said they should be done now,he's gonna be fine, and we're all holding positive thoughts for Steve right now!

Well lookie who joined the CB forum. Warrel, you're still fucked up, just in a different way. :saint: Be nice to Chris on tour!

Zac said:
Maybe I'll drive down to Grand Rapids...provided Nevermore does Deconstruction.

Hey Zac - you're not still dreaming about Warrel are you? He's watching you hnow.

Zac said:
Oh no...Not anymore. You're not dreaming about me doing a series of backflips naked are you?

Duh - of course i am. Ever since Lisa grabbed your ween i've been waiting to see the naked bakeflips. Maybe at a Nevermore show with chris i'll get my wish