Important Message From Steve Smyth, 4/30/06

Status
Not open for further replies.
kmanick said:
Hmmmmmmmm??????
I have a Hellraiser 7 and I have D'addario 10 -56 on it and it's fine.
I'm even tuned down 1/2 a step with no problem.
????????????

It all comes down to prefeerence and tone really.

The tighter the tension on the low B the tighter it will sound. The looser and the more flub there will be.

I use a .70 on my 7 string, Loomis uses a .70 for touring and an .80 for recording. The tighter you want your tone to be the hevier gauge you use.

I use and .11 - .70 set and tune down a 1/2 step. Ernie Ball's they got just the right amount of bite. They dont last very long but i love em fresh out of the pack. I ususally change strings once every week & a half unless im gigging frequently, then its once after every show.

11-70??? how the hell do you bend notes?
Do you play any lead or just rhythm??
I use 9-42's on my six strings (GMW start, Jakson SL2H soloist)
if I put 11-70's on my guitar I'd be f'n dead in the water :lol:
and I'm 6'1 215 pounds, it''s not like I have girlie hands either:lol: :lol:
sh*t 11-70???????
wow, I'd love to hear a clip of you playing a solo with that gauge string
and I'm not being a wise ass, it's just so foreign to me to play with such a heavy gauge.

i have 10s on the 6 strings right now and i tune to D standard. I am tempted to change only my low 3 strings to a higher gauge like 11s for more balls in the rhytm playing and leave the other 3 strings from a 10s pack

KManic, you might find your pick attack to be more precise with the strings not flopping around like rubber bands quite so much. You get used to the sound of the strings and can't leave it easily, and really it's not hard to bend strings if your fingers are thicker than the average pencil. I pick much better with that size, hands down, and because you can lower the action more with higher tension strings your left hand will still have it pretty easy.

Jeff

the Hellraiser is a longer scale so I don't really think they do flop around like rubber bands.
I need to check this out on the lower strings . I play alot of stuff like greg Howe, Vinnie Moore, Satch etc, and the stuff I don't need a whammy on
I like to be able to play on my Hellraiser, so 10's are about as high as I'd go , but heavier low E,B strings I think I'll check out.
thanks for giving me some Ideas guys, I've only been into 7 strings for about 2 months now(but f*n love them)
I also have an ESP M-207 but my buddy wants to buy it off of me and ever
since I got the hellraiser 7, I don't really use it anymore.

sorry to Hijack Steve :erk:

Moonlapse, I'll show how it's done when I get up and recording again... bloody Window$ killed everything over the weekend so it probably won't be tonight, but I'll work at that and some other stuff I had to make clips of.

Jeff

Steve Smyth said:
Heykittybeast!
Not sure what you mean airguitar? Is this on the Gigantour DVD? Man, I guess I gotta see this this!:lol: Was I jamming "air" pretty good?:lol: :headbang:
Update coming soon....:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:lol: :lol: At the end of the 2nd dvd they bring all onstage and Megadeth is still jamming, after you walk on stage and stand for a bit I suppose your brain can't take the fact that it's hearing great thrash and your fingers go into auto mode and start 'riffing'. And dude, you ALWAYS jamm more than pretty good be it air or not:headbang: :headbang: Hugs!

kmanick said:
11-70??? how the hell do you bend notes?
Do you play any lead or just rhythm??
I use 9-42's on my six strings (GMW start, Jakson SL2H soloist)
if I put 11-70's on my guitar I'd be f'n dead in the water :lol:
and I'm 6'1 215 pounds, it''s not like I have girlie hands either:lol: :lol:
sh*t 11-70???????
wow, I'd love to hear a clip of you playing a solo with that gauge string
and I'm not being a wise ass, it's just so foreign to me to play with such a heavy gauge.

Theres a video on my myspace page. Its bit sloppy but you get the idea ... http://www.myspace.com/guitarguru777

I don't either, kmanick - I will buy anyone a fucking medal if they can spend ten minutes walking around a college campus without hearing about that fucking MySpace enough to strangle three yuppie sluts and a goth with a fucking keyboard cable. You know something? It isn't your fucking space... if you put it out on a series of tubes for everyone to jack off to! It's not your fucking space! It's Rupert Murdoch sodomizing the last hope of this country to produce something useful in technology, and for what? For just a little more media masturbation, for more teenage zombie control, for fuck knows what, I don't know - it just needs to fucking die. Fuck on a stick, as if it wasn't hard enough trying to not hate everyone already, everyone and his left nut has to put up some bullshit just to show how unique and amazing they are with a pre-formatted, formulaic, and sterilized castration of everything that used to make the Internet worth the time. Fuck Myspace.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.