Christian metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christianity is all about love and tolerance and that bullcrap, right?
Metal is hatred and violence. (damn I'm good with words sometimes! I won't get deeper into this argument because it won't go anywhere anyway)

Jean-Pierre said:
Lyrics don't fucking matter. Quit being a faggot.

I concur. Its obvious that sound and lyrical content can be totally unrelated as is obviously the case with christain (Un)black metal bands. There lyrics totally disregard the genre's lyrical intentions of pure evill and satanism(although in all fairness satanism is but an aspect of christianity)the musical style closely follows the genres trademarks and therefore deeming it worthy of the black metal label imo.

Lengsel, Extol, Indwelling and Crimson Moonlight are the only christain metal bands I have heard that promote themselves as such.

Lengsel are top notch imo, its too bad Solace was there only release. Crimson Moonlight are good as well.

Lengsel is actually still around. After Extol is done touring, Lengsel will start recording their next cd; they already have new material written so it shouldn't take too terribly long.

Zhou Tai 04 said:
Lengsel is actually still around. After Extol is done touring, Lengsel will start recording their next cd; they already have new material written so it shouldn't take too terribly long.

Sweet, damn M-A for being inaccurate on this, I was wondering why the website hadn't been taken down yet.

Most christians have not always been christians making them fakes. Most people that claim a religion or savior know jack shit. Usually something triggered them to turn to religion,etc.... these people don't know shit. If you can not find religion in yourself by your self you're sad and not religious. Most christians are cowards needing other people to tell them what to be. They could not find religion in themselves on their own which is sad. They forgot about themselve's as individuals. They forgot that religion is an individual thing. You can't make everyone see the samething in religion. I am not a christian and believe as an entire thing it's negative. I have relatives that turned to christianity halfway into their lives. They think they are relgious now and better than non reborn again christians. I do not keep contact with these individuals anymore. I'm not a christian, I'm a non practicing catholic. Nothing worse than christians that twist everything around making normal doings negative. Christianity has been more negative than positive in the world.

Lets see how many things we can censor, it's like a fucking competition and a joke.

Christianity=Censorship

Put money in a cup and put up walls.

As far as lyrical content goes, I like it when bands have great music and lyrics that I agree with, but if a certain band has crappy lyrics or lyrics I don't agree with, and if I happen to like their music enough, I will still listen to them. Most of the time I don't even really read the lyrics; I care more about the music itself. A few secular metal bands I like include:

Death
Suffocation
Behemoth
Emperor
Opeth
Cephalic Carnage
Gorgasm
Origin
Dark Tranquility
Mors Principium Est
and many others

On earth the slut was fouled by the Demonarch
Punishment for pursuing her phallic joys
Under the glory of the Hebrew saviour
For eternal holyness and the gay love of God

Savouring the Virgin's Pessary

Within the carved symbols of despair
The sacred name of Jesus is vilified
All saintly battles have ended in defeat
Helltroops inflict agonizing wounds

The hymen skin has been chewed and torn
Black worms feast on her sacredness
Her life obtained from the heavenly skies
Her death obtained from the burning lake

Savouring the Virgin's Pessary

Lamentable slaughter of monastic beggars
For the years I lived persecuted
Condemned to worship the patriarch

The Greys said:
Most christians have not always been christians making them fakes. Most people that claim a religion or savior know jack shit. Usually something triggered them to turn to religion,etc.... these people don't know shit. If you can not find religion in yourself by your self you're sad and not religious. Most christians are cowards needing other people to tell them what to be. They could not find religion in themselves on their own which is sad. They forgot about themselve's as individuals. They forgot that religion is an individual thing. You can't make everyone see the samething in religion. I am not a christian and believe as an entire thing it's negative. I have relatives that turned to christianity halfway into their lifes. They think now they are relgious and better than non reborn again christians. I do not keep contact with these individuals anymore. I'm not a christian, I'm a non practicing catholic. Nothing worse than christians that twist everything around making normal doings negative. Christianity has been more negative than positive in the world.

Let's see how many things we can censor, it's like a fucking competition and a joke.

Christianity=Censorship

Put money in a cup and put up walls.
I am actually against censorship. And my beliefs are based on my personal experiences and extensive research; I do not follow blindly. I also do not consider myself "better" than anyone else. I am human just like you. I have learned a great deal more about Christianity on my own than in church. I do not force my beliefs on anyone. If you do not agree with them, that is perfectly fine. Do not assume that I am the typical cookie-cutter Christian. I am sorry for your experiences with your family; they are wrong in thinking that they are better than everyone else. This is not a biblical teaching. Christians like this annoy me very much.

@everyone--My intent for this thread is for it to be informative, not a place of unruly debate and idiotic comments; if you wish to bash Christianity, please it do it somewhere else and make your posts more informative. Otherwise your opinions will not be taken seriously.

It is very unfortunate that bashing Christianity is the cool thing to do these days.

BikerMiceFromMars said:
No one's interested in that garbage. CHRISTIAN METAL = OXYMORON
YOU = IGNORANT :lol:

at original threadmaker: much props to that list. i'm gonna have to check out all the ones i haven't heard of. the ones i have heard are indeed cool. don't let the few morons discourage you with their naysaying. i agree with what you said regarding Christianity and the manner in which you said it. hopefully people will begin to see that we christians are not what the media and popular opinion thinks we are.

circus_brimstone said:
Could UM have an interview in the works? Maybe, maybe not. ;)
That would be awesome! Some of my friends have said that Crimson Moonlight's new cd, Veil of Remembrance, sounds fairly similar to Immortal, but with better production.

New CM is actually death/black metal, really good.
And to those quoting ridiculous lyrics : Good job using the copy and paste feature.

"Hell I don't know what to say so maybe if they read crappy lyrics they'll stop being christian or even might be offended"

Hahahaha pathetic.

Zhou Tai 04 said:
That would be awesome! Some of my friends have said that Crimson Moonlight's new cd, Veil of Remembrance, sounds fairly similar to Immortal, but with better production.
How come every christian band is so easily described as "just like well-known band x, but with y meaningless aesthetic shift"?

Because christian bands aren't interested in making art, but rather with making music that's "cool" to preach their religion. It's propaganda, not art.

The people that said that are actually not Christians; they only said it sounded somewhat similar to Immortal. Crimson Moonlight is most certainly not a carbon-copy of any band. And I only said that to give people somewhat of an idea of what they sound like; I am in no way putting Crimson Moonlight into a box.

And please, quit judging bands that you have never even heard.

Cynical said:
How come every christian band is so easily described as "just like well-known band x, but with y meaningless aesthetic shift"?

Because christian bands aren't interested in making art, but rather with making music that's "cool" to preach their religion. It's propaganda, not art.
by that flawed logic, just about all metal is propaganda as well as most popular music.

its simply incorrect. true christian bands believe 100% of what they say, and they take the way they express it to heart. if you think its not art to express passionate views via an artistic medium, then you might as well call all art propaganda.

edit: especially because art without meaning or message, or poorly executed meaning/message, is itself useless as it contributes almost nothing. it connects to almost nothing except the philosophical value of art for art's sake, which has little lasting value as time passes beyond it.

Zhou Tai 04 said:
The people that said that are actually not Christians; they only said it sounded somewhat similar to Immortal. Crimson Moonlight is most certainly not a carbon-copy of any band. And I only said that to give people somewhat of an idea of what they sound like; I am in no way putting Crimson Moonlight into a box.

And please, quit judging bands that you have never even heard.
Since you did not get it the first time- I HAVE HEARD MOST OF THE BANDS MENTIONED, DUMBASS. The description of Crimson Moonlight that said that they were like Immortal was one that you provided, which gave no actual music description (I'm guessing that you're far too stupid for that and that the band has no actual content other than a base aesthetic), but merely said that they were like another band that's accepted within the metal world except with different production.

by that flawed logic, just about all metal is propaganda as well as most popular music.
Non-christian metal bands created an aesthetic to convey certain modes of thought; christian metal bands showed that they could be "cool" by using that aesthetic while using dogmatic, preachy lyrics. There's a big difference here, although not one that I expect you to be smart enough to pick up on.

its simply incorrect. true christian bands believe 100% of what they say, and they take the way they express it to heart. if you think its not art to express passionate views via an artistic medium, then you might as well call all art propaganda.
If they are using the art to express themselves rather than just as a mode to fit into a social structure to preach their christianity, then why are they using an aesthetic that was designed to convey what christianity is against?

edit: especially because art without meaning or message, or poorly executed meaning/message, is itself useless as it contributes almost nothing. it connects to almost nothing except the philosophical value of art for art's sake, which has little lasting value as time passes beyond it.
And christian metal gives a stupid, confused message; one that glorifies both egalitarianism and morality while creating music that aimed to sound hateful and "evil".

when was metal inherently hateful and evil? you are indeed ignorant if you believe that to be true.

how is christianity against metal? it flat out isn't. perhaps you don't understand that one can be a huge metal fan and also devoted to God.

i'm not going to bother replying to each and every little thing. if you want to discuss this further, take it to the Philosophy forum where i'll happily reply. i don't want to derail the intent of this thread as an information source, not a debate. debate in the philosophy forum. i'll not read any further discussion of this in this thread. please keep it on topic.

Cynical said:
Since you did not get it the first time- I HAVE HEARD MOST OF THE BANDS MENTIONED, DUMBASS. The description of Crimson Moonlight that said that they were like Immortal was one that you provided, which gave no actual music description (I'm guessing that you're far too stupid for that and that the band has no actual content other than a base aesthetic), but merely said that they were like another band that's accepted within the metal world except with different production.
I was only using that description because I was in somewhat of a hurry. Since you are apparently not satisfied with that (and wrongly proceeded to mock me and my knowledge of music for no reason--this is another instance of people extremely biased against anything related to Christianity; when they run out of legitimate arguments, they resort to mudslinging tactics), here is a short biography of Crimson Moonlight that I wrote a few weeks ago:

crimson%20moonlight.gif

cm4_640x480.jpg

cover2088_26083.jpg
cover_rrcd013.jpg
cover2088_17827.jpg
crimsonmoonlight.JPG

http://www.crimsonmoonlight.com

Current line-up:

Simon "Pilgrim" Rosen--vocals
Gustav Elowson--drums
Erik Tordsson--bass
Per Sundberg--guitar
Jani Stefanovic--guitar
*Hubertus Liljegren--guitar (he is no longer in the band, but contributed to the recording of their most recent cd, Veil of Remembrance)

This Christian black/death metal band from Sweden started out in 1997 and released two demos: Glorification of the Master Light (picture unavailable) and the Eternal Emperor (pictured above bottom-left). Eternal Emperor has a very symphonic sound to it and focuses primarily on the keyboards. The production isn't as good as their other albums, but this is to be expected with a demo ep; it is actually pretty good quality considering most black metal demos sound like a wall of indistinguishable noise, which Eternal Emperor is not. There are three regular songs and two piano-only songs which have a very classical and sorrowful feel to them. This is no longer in print, and very hard to find; in light of this, Crimson Moonlight decided to release Songs From The Archives (top-middle), which includes all five tracks from Eternal Emperor, eight live tracks recorded in 1998, one track from the compilation cd In the Shadow of Death, four songs from a previously unreleased studio demo recorded in 2001, and two songs from The Covenant Progress.

The Covenant Progress (top-right) was also released in 2003, and is much more brutal and has faster drums than Eternal Emperor, although the songs are still very atmospheric. For this release, the keyboards are pushed into the background to add an extra layer to their music, instead of being the focus. It also incorporates a lot of medieval-sounding riffs. Much of the lyrics are based off the book The Pilgrim's Progress, particularly in the song 'Path of Pain,' which is the longest and best song on the cd, and lyrically the most powerful. The Covenant Progress has eight normal songs (including a much better version of 'Eternal Emperor') and one very atmospheric instrumental song at the end; it's a great closing and provides a nice background while you contemplate the lyrics.

Veil of Remembrance (top-left) was released late 2004, and reflects their current sound of black/death metal. They completely got rid of the keyboards, and became much faster and more brutal than any of their previous efforts. They are now so fast that the drummer, Gustav, is up there with some of the best and fastest secular metal drummers. Although Veil of Remembrance is very brutal, there are still many awesome guitar melodies, and a few slow sections that are very haunting and provide a short break from the constant assault of the drums. This is by far their best release, and it is gaining them a lot of respect from the black metal community. Crimson Moonlight is now one of the most recognized and respected Christian black metal bands out there, along with Antestor and Slechtvalk.

Crimson Moonlight's releases are available for purchase at http://radrockers.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.