chrome, interpretation...

ether

°°§°°
Jan 14, 2002
Visit site
Following the thread that we sould write about the songs interpretations...I think Chrome is an example of a song connected with urban desolation and emptiness of modern life… Here is my interpretation:
The songs opens with a nocturnal scene, the television projects coloured light on the walls( I like this image “the walls are painted different every second…”). The eyes of chrome make me think of something bright, polished ( tears?) but at the same time this metallic colour could be seen as something artificial, lifeless a sign of apathy, in a way a situation of claustrophobic isolation and loneliness like in “deadhouse”, a man sitting alone in front of a TV set, watching uninteresting programmes and feeling empty and desolate.
The next scene conveys the image of something painful that you can’t get rid of, something that is slowly destroying you, and you are kind of paralyzed, you can’t move, can’t actually act. It seems like that things around you keep on going while you are standing still and in a way you don’t participate to life, even if you would like to break this walls that imprison you (burn down my house and make something happen) The image of the dead man’s clock is particularly striking and highly poetical, it’s like life goes on and doesn’t care of you, you can be dead (also in a metaphorical sense) but things don’t stop their course, events don’t wait for you…
The mirror makes me think of the double self, a kind of schizophrenia, and this saying hallo it’s like trying to establish a contact with the world.
The final verses are like a stream of consciousness, they contrast with the previous surreal atmosphere and bring you suddenly back into real life, into trivial and everyday things, the phone call as a sign of a contact with the outside.

I interpreted it the same way, we must be soulmates! :cool:

P.S.: "Deadhouse" and "Quiet World" are very similar to this.
I especially like Quiet World's lyrics:

four numbers staring back at me
displaying the mediocrity of my presence
i´m wasting my day wtching them change
the sun with it's blue sky outside
shining down on all you happy people
i´m wasting my day waiting for rain
need more methods to end each day
to be happy by living this way

hmn, well maybe its all about watching TV, and how it makes your eyes chrome, after hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of mind numbing tv you just sit there dead to the world, just staring, and wanting something to happen anyway whatever...

Maybe it's like the TV's got his borhter as well. all trapped by the ever-changing images *shivers*. That reminds me of me and my brother as well.

Hey Ether Nurse, you should write music reviews in a metal magazine.;)

Originally posted by Nico16
P.S.: "Deadhouse" and "Quiet World" are very similar to this.
I especially like Quiet World's lyrics:

four numbers staring back at me
displaying the mediocrity of my presence
i´m wasting my day wtching them change
the sun with it's blue sky outside
shining down on all you happy people
i´m wasting my day waiting for rain
need more methods to end each day
to be happy by living this way

I like these lyrics too! What do you think are these " four numbers"?
I thought of a birth date (1975?) or just a date...I also relate this song with "Day", it's pretty much the same atmosphere!