Church of Australian Metal

Not a band I've had on my radar, but with the listing MA have for both their albums they don't show much creativity :)

Highly recommended if you can stomach super lo-fi in death metal. They do it better than most bands doing the whole "atmospheric" death metal thing nowadays imo.

Road Warrior pre-released a track from their upcoming album. Can't wait for this shit, Australia is getting a bunch of killer traditional metal albums right at the end of the year. My 2018 AOTY list is going to be hectic at this point trying to figure out some kind of priority ranking.

Thinking about doing a top 10 Australian metal releases at the end of the year or start of next year.

Reactions: Slammed
It will take me until the end of the year to get through the list of shit I want to listen too, much of which probably wouldn't make the top 10 anyway.

Reactions: CiG
I'm all for it.
But I have got a list of stuff I want to go back over, see if I can find some of it on YT to spread around. There a number of bands from the 80's and 90's that I'm struggling to find online and there is a list of names I was given which I'm not even half way through many of the bands are just brief mentions from guys I know who have seen or heard of these bands mentioned, some have zero online presence. I'm concentrating on more traditional, heavy, hard rock power and thrash with some cross over into death but the list of bands in this country is pretty darn big

Edit: That Road Warrior track is pretty good.

Looking forward to your results!

I'm currently in contact with the guys from the death metal band Neuropath on FB trying to track down copies of their two demos. They told me they actually released the two demos together on a CD so I'm hoping to buy a copy from them. Would be fucking epic to own some cool Australian death metal history.

I'll drop any bands I find half interesting here as I find them but it really is easier to find bands from the last 10-15 years than it is to find pre-2000 bands. Some of the bands I've seen named I think were lucky to play garage gigs. :) And the number of bands that had one or two really cool songs but the only ones that are on YT are shit is annoying too.

Since getting out of the city more than a decade ago I lost a lot of contacts from the old days but I'm trying to find some of those people on FB and the like to see if they are still in touch with the music scene or in touch with the old scene but time keeps getting in the way.

I think one of the biggest problems with lost gems of the Australian scene is that a lot of it was vinyl only or tape only and they're collecting dust in a shitload of music collections in the homes of lazy bastards who won't rip them from vinyl or tape to a digital format.

Yeah that's a big thing. I found two Black Jack EP's online the other day which I was surprised at, their only album sold something like 400 copies and very few people had heard of them yet their two EP's are on some dodgy German or Russian site. Yet there are bands like the Candy Harlots (chicks with dicks and obviously an acquired taste) who from memory had label support, gigged regularly and had a following but none of their EP's seem to be online.

We recorded (both audio and video) a lot of the gigs we put on back in the day but all that shit is lost, or people are lying when they tell us they haven't got it. Bands like Christbait, Necrotomy, Acheron and even LightForce (and into their first carnation as Mortification) were filmed by me and recorded off the desk by my cuz, but it's all gone or MIA and that sucks.

I posted a clip of these guys the other day, but I think their second album is probably their best. Can't really go wrong with an album called the Thrashening can you?

Bands like Christbait, Necrotomy, Acheron and even LightForce (and into their first carnation as Mortification) were filmed by me and recorded off the desk by my cuz, but it's all gone or MIA and that sucks.

That really does suck man. It's harrowing to think of all the lost history because people didn't have the technological foresight to look after materials or undervalued what was in their possession at the time and in hindsight it wasn't just some random new band's footage because you're older now and these bands are considered to be legends etc.

In most cases I think out archival stuff was undervalued. The archival storage we used was owned by council but it was not cleaned up by us it was cleaned up under council order and all sorts of shit went to the bins because cunts in suits didn't see value in recording equipment and a shitload of tapes. I'd like to think some of it was saved and some prick is being greedy and hoarding it from others but I'm pretty most of it went out as rubbish.

In most cases I think out archival stuff was undervalued. The archival storage we used was owned by council but it was not cleaned up by us it was cleaned up under council order and all sorts of shit went to the bins because cunts in suits didn't see value in recording equipment and a shitload of tapes. I'd like to think some of it was saved and some prick is being greedy and hoarding it from others but I'm pretty most of it went out as rubbish.

That's absolutely fucked up man. Reminds me that I have tons of 8MM tapes from my days of skateboarding that I still need to transfer to the PC and edit. Planning to make some kind of documentary out of all the random footage I have. Won't interest anybody beyond a group of friends but it needs to be done before anything gets lost, who knows what the fuck could happen in the meantime.

Found this interview with Sacriphyx, fuck I wish these dudes would record more music.

fsgfaswf.jpg

It happens everywhere too, we did training videos of the power corp in the 90's and half that shit is gone because some dick decided archival footage and training videos didn't need to be saved.

Haven't heard of Sacriphyx, might have to check them out.

Yeah but it's understandable, I'm a pussy, my first go to has never been black metal!