Circus Maximus vs Seventh Wonder

.....But The new 7th Wonder album is just useless..... It's that 7th Wonder isn't a prog band. They're a melodic rock/AOR band....

Of course, it's o.k. to not like the new album (to each his own) but saying SW isn't a prog band doesn't make sense at all.

SW is definitely a prog band, albeit of the more accessible kind. And myself, I vastly prefer them to CM (which isn't a bad band, SW is just truly exceptional).

Considering that Mercy Falls is in my top ten CD's ever, I'm going with them.
I like about half of The Final Chapter and most of Isolate.
And I love AOR mixed with progressive metal and want more bands to do this.
Love the blend of insanely catchy harmonies and progressive time shifts.
Match made in heaven. :worship:

Ben's always right. The new Pain of Salvation, for instance, is a masterpiece when compared to the new Seventh Wonder...

:rolleyes: :lol:

I take it that you are being sarcastic right? :D Because the 30 minute track on the new seventh wonder is worth the price of the cd alone! An absolute masterpiece!!! Most bands could never write a 30 minute song and have it remain interesting. But with seventh wonder, the "Great Escape" song is a bunch of songs within a song and it flows flawlessly!!!

But you do have to like a bit of AOR with your metal. if you don't, then the STYLE just isn't for you, but it still doesn't take away from its awesomeness...

Picking between these 2 bands is like trying to pick which nut in my sack I prefer. I love them both equally, although.....

I kind of agree with whats being said here. When I heard they were doing a half hour track I let out a big old negative sigh. I really feel prog metal bands are doing this length of song just to cater to their younger fans who think its 'cool' to do long epic tunes. I guarantee I will listen to this song once ever and that will be it. If you can't say what you wanna say and do your showing off in under say 8 mins then theres problems. My attention span doesn't allow me to get through those long epics these days.

That's what's cool about Seventh Wonder. On the 30 minute song, they don't try and wank and show off. The 30 minute song isn't a 30 minute shred fest at all, that's what makes it so great to me. There must be 10 different choruses in that song alone. If it was a 30 minute wank fest, then I probably wouldn't be interested. The fact that I heard the 30 minute song is going to make me buy the cd in of itself...... I'm very intrigued by the story, so I'm not even going to buy this one from ITunes. I need to buy the complete package so that I can get the lyrics.

There must be 10 different choruses in that song alone.

That right there is why I don't like overly long songs. Usually to me it just sounds like a bunch of songs rammed together. Give me 4 or 5 kick arse individual songs rather than anything that breaches the 10 minute mark.

I think I need to change my preferred genre lol. I'm fighting a losing battle.

That right there is why I don't like overly long songs. Usually to me it just sounds like a bunch of songs rammed together. Give me 4 or 5 kick arse individual songs rather than anything that breaches the 10 minute mark.

I think I need to change my preferred genre lol. I'm fighting a losing battle.

I understand mel. It's more of a personal taste as to what you like when it comes to long or short songs..I guess it's just like how some people like short shorties with books and some people prefer long epic novels..I'm more of the long epic novels kinda guy... :). Most of the time I would dislike a song that long because it would full of wanking and trying to impress people. I just think though because of the nature of the concept of the song, that the story that seventh wonder was trying to convey couldn't have been a 5 or 10 minute song and they didn't want to do a whole concept album....

It's more of a personal taste as to what you like when it comes to long or short songs..I guess it's just like how some people like short shorties with books and some people prefer long epic novels..I'm more of the long epic novels kinda guy...

That's a fair analogy, and I am definitely a "long epic novel" kind of guy also..... However, (without having heard the new SW album yet) if I understand the original comment (and I think I do) this song may be more akin to a 1,000 page collection of interconnected short stories than to an actual epic.

I agree wholeheartedly that I would rather hear five different six minute songs that are fully fleshed out, then hear what sounds like several songs sewn together just to make an "epic" track. I am not going to comment on the SW track, as I have not heard it, but an apt comparison may be Dream Theater's "Six Degrees" versus something like "Count of Tuscany" or "Octavarium". Both CoT and Octo are continuous flowing songs, whereas 6DoIT truly sounds like a bunch of interrelated ideas sewn together.

I feel somewhat unsure in this particular case regarding the marathon thing...

I remember when DT following SFaM announced that they would have a 40 min-track and I just refused to even listen to it.
After spending some years with Spcok's Beard and Transatlantic I feel somewhat more comfortable with the long ones.

Had I preferred an SW disc with more songs -probably.
But here is how I think to console myself;
-I loved MF but the concept thing can get a bit too much at time, but at the same time I am a sucker for the dramas and longer stories where you in fact get a chance to feel what the characters are feeling and get to know them a bit better. So since I wouldn't like them to do MF again, but I still love the concept albums (even though I always think I won't) I will consider the llong song on TGE like a mini-concept album, and the rest of the album a regular one.

Now, if it is considered a mini concept album, then it would be just like listening to MF (but shorter) in which case I am perfectly fine with it being "many songs joint together", which is what a concept album really is.

In my book you could get away with the whole verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo chorus-routine for about up to let us say ten minutes, given that the instrumental sections are awesome. But if you are gonna go longer than that it requires songs within the song (but some melodies or rhythms etc that keep popping up are still cool).

That was a long way of saying that to me it is not negative with the long one sounding like it is made up of several shorter songs crammed together -just think of it as a concept album but that you can't skip through the tracks.