Classical music that is transcendent, with emotion and soul?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I am desperately looking for classical music that is transcendent. I could care less how well structured or complex, or ornate the music is. At present I think of Bach and schubert when i think transcendent- but i have much to learn, as I have no background in classical or composition( and this ignorance is beneficial to me not caring about structured complexity etc). By transcendent i think of music that somehow exists in ones soul, is universal, is spiritual etc.- whenever i hear some of Bachs fugues i get this feeling. So, someone help please help me out.

speed said:
I am desperately looking for classical music that is transcendent. I could care less how well structured or complex, or ornate the music is. At present I think of Bach and schubert when i think transcendent- but i have much to learn, as I have no background in classical or composition( and this ignorance is beneficial to me not caring about structured complexity etc). By transcendent i think of music that somehow exists in ones soul, is universal, is spiritual etc.- whenever i hear some of Bachs fugues i get this feeling. So, someone help please help me out.

I'm no authority on the subject at all by anymeans lol But Beethoven and Mozart do what it was that you were explaining for me ...... does that make anysense? lol

i only really know about 'dark' classical music, but chances are, when you're purchasing a cd with this stuff on, it'll have the lighter emotive stuff too.

Off the top of my head i'd recommend Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt suites, which in itself is a mixed bag, with most people thinking automatically of the 'In The Hall Of The Mountain King' but there's also more emotive tracks preceeding that one.
Holst's 'The Planets' is well worth a try as well, as many a film score has unashamedly tried to copy some of the drama in the music.

if you want more recommendations, i suggest you ask on a black metal board, like say Dimmu Borgir's forum, as that's where i got my information from originally.

Try these out:

Arvo Part- Passio
Gyorgi Ligeti- Requiem (modernist, avant-garde composer . You won't even know what to think when you hear this stuff)
Edvard Grieg- Piano Concerto in A minor

Pachelbel's Canon. It's not dark or anything, its just really "in one's soul" type of music. And it rocks. You might alos want to try the Branderburg Concerts by Bach, the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, and/or Marche Funebre by Chopin.

By transcendent i think of music that somehow exists in ones soul, is universal, is spiritual etc.- whenever i hear some of Bachs fugues i get this feeling. So, someone help please help me out.

well, that is a rather vague statement. the only thing i can gather is that you want something like bach's fugues. i can recommend would be shostakovich's 24 preludes and fugues for piano. perhaps you could elaborate on how bach is universal and spiritual?

I enjoy pachelbel's canon immensely.

The alumnus, i suppose this is a feeling I get when listning to this music- it moves me, if this hasnt happened to you, well I dont know how to explain it- its more of a feeling and a seperation from the world into this fabulous perfect music.

Anyone know of Tchiakovsky's choral music? I heard it once, and rather enjoyed it, bit i am having a hard time finding a copy of it.