Classical/Traditional Music

Karlowicz is the best, he was super super young when he died and doesn't have a huge output besides some amazing symphonic poems, killer stuff. Rawnsworthe has some amazing symphonies. Oh and Kodaly is the go to guy for music education methodology, but his compositions were all kinds of badass, check out Marosszék Dances

Not yet!! It's back to school time so i've been traveling and busy like mad, I'm going to right now though.

I really like traditional music specially Oriental and of course i love classical music.
I' m from Peru. We have different kinds of traditional music for any region ( as any other country), For example Andean music and "musica criolla" .

El condor pasa, a classic

Cajon Peruano :D ONe of this guys is who does the fercussion in Opeth's Famine

And well...I love when people blend traditional music with metal or rock so i for you two bands from my country that do it.

This guys blend Andean music with Metal

This guys blend Andean music with progressive rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward Macdowell
Peter Mennin
Alexander Tcherepnin
Karol Szymanowski

awesome stuff

Onder, Respighi is awesome!

Yop, I'm just listening to Karlowicz's violin concerto and it's very good. I was also listening to some Kodály string quartets last week. Great recommendations!

Do you know Delius? I was searching for some English composers from around 1900 and my mother handed me his cd.

EDIT: Also, I finally started to appreciate the old baroque stuff from Italy etc., A LOT.

Yeah that concert is great, as well as the kodaly!

Yes! Delius has been on my list for a while but I've enjoyed a lot of his music. Ralph Vaughan Williams and Benjamin Britten are awesome 20th english composers if you don't like them already.

Yeah I agree, I've been trying to get into more chamber music, which has brought me to older baroque periods etc. It's actually interesting because I think the baroque and romantic period have more in common than the classical era does.

Yeah I agree, I've been trying to get into more chamber music, which has brought me to older baroque periods etc. It's actually interesting because I think the baroque and romantic period have more in common than the classical era does.

I'm usually enticed first to listen to quartets when I'm checking out a composer I don't know. The difference in style and age of the composition seems to be especially noticeable there. Symphonies are sometimes too complex to begin with for me.

On the other hand, sacred works and choral stuff of baroque era and romanticism are sometimes too similar in concept and somewhat obvious. Harder to guess a composer if you hear it on radio. What I like about Bach's cantatas or Requiems and similar stuff is the church-like atmosphere. Religion sure has been a great inspiration over the years and the art based on it is the only aspect of it which I respect.

Yes! Delius has been on my list for a while but I've enjoyed a lot of his music. Ralph Vaughan Williams and Benjamin Britten are awesome 20th english composers if you don't like them already.

I know Britten, I have Spring symphony in iTunes. Was listening to Delius cd few days back after I woke up very early and it was awesome morning music. I will sure return to it. Very peaceful and scenic. Next on my UK list are Havergal Brian and some guy named Howells.

Also, I saw a Bax chamber music cd to download somewhere on the internet. Apparently it's not as well known as his orchestral stuff. Would you like a link in the PM?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I've been into a lot of Mendelssohn right now, especially his chamber string works. Hugo Wolf is a hit for me right now too, amazing lieder. Franz Schreker is one of my favorite composers ever, and is disturbingly unknown/underrated. His opera are just impeccable, check this out, I saw it in LA in 2010. I get shivers every time,

I was looking into that era and Zemlinksy and Erich Korngold, both awesome recc's.

I think have bax chamber works, with a lot of harp stuff, its great. I can't really download since I'm at school and would get busted, BUT, my university library literally has everything in existence. I'm pretty sure they have all of bax's works, I have most of it now.

Listened to more of Respighi, really love it, especially the Pines of Rome. I'm going bat crazy with all of this new music :D

That Schreker sounds amazing, thanks.

I have some Mendelssohn on iTunes, the violin concerto and some octet I think. It's alright. Lately I was listening to some Corelli concerti grossi out of baroque period and Franz Berwald of the romantics. Do you know him? His symphonies are beautiful and uber-romantic. He's swedish and not well known.

And of course, my all time favorite, Shostakovich. I keep discovering brilliant bits of his work all the time and I need to read his complete and detailed biography very soon. I'm fascinated by the deep dark neurotic parts of his more serious symphonies, and then the pompous russian tragedy feeling that often follows. I've heard so much of him already and there's still so much to discover.

I really like traditional music specially Oriental and of course i love classical music.
I' m from Peru. We have different kinds of traditional music for any region ( as any other country), For example Andean music and "musica criolla" .

El condor pasa, a classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVMNQo4HAM

Cajon Peruano :D ONe of this guys is who does the fercussion in Opeth's Famine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYCWcHaeqlY

And well...I love when people blend traditional music with metal or rock so i for you two bands from my country that do it.

This guys blend Andean music with Metal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AemItl7YLg

This guys blend Andean music with progressive rock.

For last couple of days I am listening to this amazing group of world music artists who are playing lots of traditional music with electronic elements. You can get variety of traditional and folk music with new sounds which will make you feel relaxed and upbeat. You can explore more on their website - goinnative.com

Check this music video -

Tommorow I'm going to a concert: Wagner's Rienzi overture, Mozart's fourth horn concerto, Brahms trio arranged for horn, violin and orchestra and Brahms' Haydn variations. It will rule. I'm very thankful to see some Wagner live because I've been listening to his overtures a LOT during the past two months. I still don't feel like going to see a full fucking Wagner opera but we'll see about that. It will be nice, I'm going with my blonde polish booty again.

Currently my favorite Brahms is the fourth, but I don't know the second very well. Favorite Mahler still the first one.

Traditional Chinese music is the shit. I fucking love it. So simple, but so expressive and immersive.

There is way better than this, too.

That Schreker sounds amazing, thanks.

I have some Mendelssohn on iTunes, the violin concerto and some octet I think. It's alright. Lately I was listening to some Corelli concerti grossi out of baroque period and Franz Berwald of the romantics. Do you know him? His symphonies are beautiful and uber-romantic. He's swedish and not well known.

And of course, my all time favorite, Shostakovich. I keep discovering brilliant bits of his work all the time and I need to read his complete and detailed biography very soon. I'm fascinated by the deep dark neurotic parts of his more serious symphonies, and then the pompous russian tragedy feeling that often follows. I've heard so much of him already and there's still so much to discover.

No problem.

I do not know Berwald, will look into him!

Ah, Shosty is teh b3st. I know what you mean, have you heard his 24 preludes and fugues? So good. PLEASE READ Testimony: The Memoirs of Dmitri Shostakovich. It's SO good, one of my favorite reads. He recounts, not exactly his own life, but the lives of others he has worked with over the span of his life, and you probably learn more about him by the way he talks about others than hi just talking about himself. Incredible insight on Russian culture, and his dark cynicism, the last couple pages are just painful to read how much he honestly hated his life.

Tommorow I'm going to a concert: Wagner's Rienzi overture, Mozart's fourth horn concerto, Brahms trio arranged for horn, violin and orchestra and Brahms' Haydn variations. It will rule. I'm very thankful to see some Wagner live because I've been listening to his overtures a LOT during the past two months. I still don't feel like going to see a full fucking Wagner opera but we'll see about that. It will be nice, I'm going with my blonde polish booty again.

Currently my favorite Brahms is the fourth, but I don't know the second very well. Favorite Mahler still the first one.

Nice, sounds like a great concert. Brahms 4 is definitely quintessential, as for Mahler, his 2nd is one of my favorites. The last movement with the choir and soloists is one of the most incredible pieces of music. Also 9 and 5 are favorites :)

I'd absolutely love to see a Wagner opera, I'm a huge opera fan so it would be fantastic for me. I'd personally love to see Tristan und Isolde or Lohengrin in particular.

No problem.

I do not know Berwald, will look into him!

Ah, Shosty is teh b3st. I know what you mean, have you heard his 24 preludes and fugues? So good. PLEASE READ Testimony: The Memoirs of Dmitri Shostakovich. It's SO good, one of my favorite reads. He recounts, not exactly his own life, but the lives of others he has worked with over the span of his life, and you probably learn more about him by the way he talks about others than hi just talking about himself. Incredible insight on Russian culture, and his dark cynicism, the last couple pages are just painful to read how much he honestly hated his life.

Nice, sounds like a great concert. Brahms 4 is definitely quintessential, as for Mahler, his 2nd is one of my favorites. The last movement with the choir and soloists is one of the most incredible pieces of music. Also 9 and 5 are favorites :)

I'd absolutely love to see a Wagner opera, I'm a huge opera fan so it would be fantastic for me. I'd personally love to see Tristan und Isolde or Lohengrin in particular.

Yeah I will read that when I get it. I heard good things about it. The Wagner Rienzi overture live was amazing. Mozart horn concerto bored my girl but whatever. Unfortunately I will miss tenth Shostakovich tommorow because I'm either leaving Prague for the weekend or I'm attending some weird hardcore party/concert with friends.

I currently really want to get to know other Scandinavian composers like Berwald. I'm pretty sure there are many. You know some? Say, around 1900-ish.

Noooo Shosty's 10th is one of his best!! 6th is a big favorite of mine as well. 5 is awesome, but I don't seem as blown away as most people are about that one.

Haven't heard Berwald yet, but awesome Scandinavian composers...

Carl Nielsen!!
Lars Larsson
Vagn Holmboe
Johan Svendesen
Per Nørgård

I don't know if you consider Estonia but there's all kinds of goodness out of there

Cyrillus Kreek
Arvo Part
Eduard Tubin

^ I know some Nielsen stuff but not very well. Heard Nørgård's violin concerto few times and while it's very modern and the motives/melodies are kinda shattered in the piece as I feel it, it maintains amazing atmosphere which I miss in plenty modern pieces. I really need to check more of his stuff. I know Arvo Part and I don't really like anything apart from the fourth symphony, out of which the II. movement is the most beautiful imo. Sometimes the minimalism just bores me.

I noticed you were listening to some Bruckner on last.fm. Which symphony do you recommend? I only know 9th and I need to check out 4th that I heard good things about. He takes his time but it's worth it.

Also, I'm listening to sextets of Antonín and Pavel Vranický, czech composers of 18th century, well respected back then. It's very, very good. Antonín is a pupil of Mozart and Haydn and Pavel is his brother who wrote like million things. Amazing old stuff.

Nielsen's symphonies and violin concerto are sweet. Arvo Part is super hit and miss, In Principio is a sweet work to check out. he's not always minimal.

Ahhhhh Bruckner....one of my absolute favorites. I actually just got the rest of his symphonies so I've been listening to him a lot. the 9th is in my opinion one of the greatest symphonies ever written, and my favorite symphony in general. His other great ones are 6, i love that one. 4 is excellent, as well as 7. I have 8 and 3 to listen to later this week. I think 8 is another great one from what I've heard....

Sounds good, I will check those out.

New findings this week,

Ernest Chausson
Viktor Ullmann
Josef Suk
Charles Alkan
Adolf Henselt

^ Suk is well known around here and played a lot. Way more than Janáček for example. Today on a czech forum people were complaining about lack of Janáček in concerts in czech. I need to get to know more Bruckner, damn.

Meanwhile, my examination of swedish composers continues with these:

51saVzim6tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

616vlxOE9WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Holmboe_8_10_BISCD917.jpg